Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10+ cans of red bull a day!

Consider this:

1) A coffee bean contains anywhere between 1 to 4% caffeine. Arabica beans average at 1.2%

2) Hence, a standard 7g single shot of espresso has about 84mg of caffeine in it.

3) Seriously, who uses a 7g single basket? The default sunbeam "single" holds 14g and the "double" is actually a triple that holds a whopping 21g of coffee.

Conclusion: If you are making three espressos a day using a synesso triple basket, you would be consuming a muscle twitching 864mg of caffeine! Thats like taking TEN+ CANS OF RED BULL in a day.

According to Greg Pullmans post:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1217035423/0#0

Basket     Unsettled weight (g) Settled weight (g)
    Rancilio single (old): 8   12
    Synesso single: 10  14
    La Marzocco single: 12 14
    Rancilio double: 14  18  
    Synesso ridgeless double:   16  20
    Synesso ridged double: 16  20
    La Marzocco double:     16  20
    Synesso triple: 20  24

Re: 10+ cans of red bull a day!

Assuming you extract every smidge of caffeine from that ground coffee; which I would doubt would happen, especially amongst ristretto drinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle link=1221031360/0#1 date=1221032498
      Assuming you extract every smidge of caffeine from that ground coffee; which I would doubt would happen, especially amongst ristretto drinkers.
      Yep, actually anywhere between 30-50mg for a 30ml pour.

"Statistics - lies, lies, and more lies"

Comment

Yep, and you know what they say about making assumptions..... :

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle link=1221031360/0#1 date=1221032498
          Exactly.

Comment

dont forget that the buzz in red bull comes from taurine, not as much the caffeine

Comment

Originally posted by tyeoman link=1221031360/0#5 date=1221115036
              dont forget that the buzz in red bull comes from taurine, not as much the caffeine
              Mmmm...one of the major constituents of bile. I knew there was a good reason for me not to have tried red bull. :P

Comment

Originally posted by ezralimm link=1221031360/0#0 date=1221031360
                Consider this:

1) A coffee bean contains anywhere between 1 to 4% caffeine. Arabica beans average at 1.2%

2) Hence, a standard 7g single shot of espresso has about 84mg of caffeine in it.

3) Seriously, who uses a 7g single basket? The default sunbeam "single" holds 14g and the "double" is actually a triple that holds a whopping 21g of coffee.

Conclusion: If you are making three espressos a day using a synesso triple basket, you would be consuming a muscle twitching 864mg of caffeine! Thats like taking TEN+ CANS OF RED BULL in a day.

According to Greg Pullmans post:
                http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1217035423/0#0

Basket     Unsettled weight (g) Settled weight (g)
                Rancilio single (old): 8   12
                Synesso single: 10  14
                La Marzocco single: 12 14
                Rancilio double: 14  18  
                Synesso ridgeless double:   16  20
                Synesso ridged double: 16  20
                La Marzocco double:     16  20
                Synesso triple: 20  24

Now you have to work out the sugar content as well I think red bulls have a fair bit. I have no idea but would be funny to see what teaspoon equivellent that may have to go into the coffees.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1221031360/0#6 date=1221116028
                  Mmmm...one of the major constituents of bile.  I knew there was a good reason for me not to have tried red bull.  :P
                  fear not - it is a synthetic ingredient. Though taurine can be found not only in bile, but in the testicles and semen of ox.

Comment

I suppose that calculation would be accurate if you consumed the beans as they are. Given youre putting hot water through the ground beans under pressure, I suspect you would only get a fraction of the total amount of caffeine found in that 14g of beans. However, if you dont want to miss out on the caffeine, you could consume the puck too and that will make sure you dont miss out on your 864mg of caffeine.
                    It would be interesting to find out exactly how much caffeine is in an espresso shot.

Comment

Well, i guess if even half of the caffeine is extracted... thats still 400+mg of caffeine, which is quite a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by tyeoman link=1221031360/0#8 date=1221122559
                        Originally posted by Dennis link=1221031360/0#6 date=1221116028
                        Mmmm...one of the major constituents of bile.  I knew there was a good reason for me not to have tried red bull.  :P
                        fear not - it is a synthetic ingredient. Though taurine can be found not only in bile, but in the testicles and semen of ox.
                        ;D ;D Howd you find that out mate?! And do you still drink Red Bull? ;D

Comment

I dont know that its all that comforting to think that its the synthetic version of all of the above, but "taurine can be found not only in bile, but in the testicles and semen of ox." does explain why its called "red bull".

;D

Comment

friend worked for red bull so she was very clued up on all this stuff. from memory, red bull has less caffeine than a shot of espresso (quoting about 80mgs) - but then they have wholesome bull nuts in there too.

Comment

I read a can a few weeks ago because I saw one of my students drinking some during a break.
                              Hes only about 10 years old.

It contains caffeine, taurine and guarana.
                              All of which have similar effects.
                              I asked his mother to not let him have any more (hes a handful as it is)..

Comment

Working...
                              X