When to stop extraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to stop extraction

Hi all, Im very new to the game and yesterday I did an introductory course. The thing I found the trickiest was figuring out when to stop the extraction. We were basically told to stop when it goes blond but I found it a little hard to tell what colour is light caramel and blond. Would appreciate any tips and tricks or links to pictures or videos so I can get this right. Keep in my mind that I might be making you guys coffee in the near future!

Re: When to stop extraction

Gday Tony,

I reckon one way to start understanding why to stop it the extraction when it is too blonde is split the shot into two. Put one cup under for the first 10-15 secs, then throw another cup under for the last half. Then try them, and I reckon youll start learning colour wise, what part your dont necessarily want.
    One thing to look for is not only the colour, but how its coming out off the spouts. If it starts lookng watery its usually a good sign youre over-extracting and youre gonna end up with bitter-fest.
    Let youre mouth do the looking

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1221805227/0#1 date=1221806120
      Gday Tony,

I reckon one way to start understanding why to stop it the extraction when it is too blonde is split the shot into two. Put one cup onder for the first 10-15 secs, then throw another cup under for the last half. Then try them, and I reckon youll start learning colour wise, what part your dont necessarily want.
      Yep, this is a good idea - or split it into 3 x 10ml. I always have fun giving thirds to my friends when they ask me to teach them to like/make espresso :P

Comment

Cheers, Ill put that into action.

Comment

Working...
        X