Chocolate syrup recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate syrup recipe

I thought seeing as I have some Cote dIvoire Red African cocoa that I should try and make chocolate syrup.   I tried a CS search and then turned up a few recipes on google.  What I used was similar to most of them or at least the same proportions of cocoa & sugar.

1/2 cup cocoa, 1 cup sugar, pinch of salt, 1 cup water, mix and gently bring to boil.   Simmer for up to 5 minutes until it thickens slightly.   (It does thicken as it cools.)   Pour it out into a glass jug to cool and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

So far it has passed the ice-cream test.  ;D  Next to try some of the espresso recipes like the one for mocha from Randy G.  Might even have a go at drawing on the top now that I have some syrup.

Experiments for future batches might be some of the other types of sugar that CSnobs have been using in their drinking chocolate mixes.   Any suggestions?

One other thing I thought about was adding 0.1% potassium sorbate as a preservative but at this sized batch I dont think it will last long enough to need it.   Might be nice to just have it home made and preservative free but not keep as long.

This stuff is really yummy.  I dont think it would be the same with ordinary cocoa from the supermarket.  

Does anyone have other recipes or know of an existing thread?

Re: Chocolate syrup recipe

I make mine with a 2:3 ratio cocoa:sugar, add enough water to make a syrup, pinch of salt, and boil in the microwave for 30 sec. or so. I like my syrup fairly thick.

While it is still hot I stir in a tablespoon or so of Cointreau.

Store in the fridge.

Greg

Comment

Re: Chocolate syrup recipe

Caffeol, the high proportion of sugar will act as a preservative. Refrigeration will also help, and Id expect the syrup to last a few weeks at least, as long as the fridge is locked and the key hidden.

Comment

Working...
      X