Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Coffee - taboo topic?

Hi not sure if Im allowed to talk about instant coffee here ;D

Anyway the one and only cafe at my workplace serves "espresso" but in name only.

Its absolutely awful and honestly my Cafe Roma with pre-grind from the supermarket outperforms them!!!

Anyway in order to save money Ive decided to boycott them and drink instant instead.

Is enjoying instant coffee just a sign of how poor my taste in coffee is?

What is the general consensus among "Snobs" about instant coffee??

Hopefully this doesnt result me in being banned 8-)

Re: Instant Coffee - taboo topic?

hi ahmadnz welcome to coffee snobs, The great snobs here will not treat you too harshly about (fake coffee) instant. :-?
    sounds like you dont have much choice near your work place .however  if you can put up with the inferior taste of fake coffee ! keep on keepin on.

you say you  have a machine at home try fresh beans ground on demand at home , from a good roastery near you .so this means you will need a grinder however ! lots of good info on this site about grinders etc, just do a search.

maybe talk your boss into buying a coffee combo package at work or have a reputable mobile barista call into your work place .
    worth a try , good luck .
    happy sippin
    V.  ;D      The journey begins with just one sip and you will  be hooked.

Comment

First the strange silence. Then the whispering in the darkness. Then the sound grows as the muttering and grumbling builds to a roar that makes it hard to hear the peacemakers calling for calm. Across all this the shrieks of the pitchforks on the grindstones and the clang of the anvils as portafilters are beaten into lethal short stabbing swords. Then they surge forward, each trying to be the first to lay the evil to rest. Run Ahmadnz! For the love of coffee ruuunnn....

That aside, nah - sometimes you just gotta drink instant. Go for it.

Comment

as long as you KNOW deep down in your heart that what your drinking isnt coffee how god intended... no worries

on a funnier side note.. my cousins friend from israel got into an argument at a cafe cause he wanted a nescafe (in his words a normal coffee) and the guy told him they didnt serve nescafe. neither of them could believe it.

Comment

Take the $3 a time saved and put it toward a new toy for home I say

Some instant in a pinch is drinkable but I find needing sugar and a lot of milk to do it.

Other fix is to buy a small S/Steel plunger or Aeropress (bouncable) for work and take in some preground from home. I used to do this and had even taken in a small electric pourover drip machine when I had my own office (used to really piss off the boss )

Make the best of a bad situation I say.

Comment

Ok thanks! So now that the ice is broken....

Is it unusual that I should consider my instant coffee of superior taste to poorly brewed espresso?

Would snobs here, when pushed, drink instant, bad espresso, or neither?

I should say that my instant is "superior" - at least in terms of cost

Comment

I havent had an "instant coffee" in many years. I dont even consider "instant" to BE coffee. When "instant" is all thats available Ill drink water or chocolate milk.

However you can talk about it all you want.

My preferred solution for work was to freshly grind some beans before I left and make a french press or filtered coffee when I got there. The smell of fresh coffee would often drive some "instant" drinkers nuts!--I considered this an additional bonus. ;D

Strangely enough, in years of doing this only one or two people went from "instant" to real coffee. The others just dont care enough to do the extra work--*shrug*.

Greg

Comment

My work situation is one where taking a jar of instant is feasible, but I dont have a safe place to keep any equipment to be honest.

So yeah thats why this is my "best of a bad situation", and when coffee here costs $4 NZD, thats throwing away money I could invest into my dream MM/Silvia

Comment

I sometimes grind some coffee in the morning to take to work and make it in a one mug plunger. I only take one shot though because Im not prepared to waste it if I dont have time.

After that I just resort to Moccona but like Greg I dont think of it as coffee, its just another drink like tea or cola.

Since I have been drinking fresh ground coffee I have gone off sugar but still sometimes need a little with instant. I put the milk in before the hot water and it works slightly better.

Comment

Have an extra one at home before you go, or buy some takeaway cups, or a good thermos.

If you reheat a home coffee, its better than instant. The thermos will keep it warm for quite a while though.

Comment

Ok Moccona is what I buy. And for right or wrong reasons, I actually dont mind the taste.

Better laboratories maybe?

And I watched a program on TV about how they make instant coffee. Pretty much dehydrated coffee brew right? So yes you lose in the process but it is in essence "real coffee" right? Perhaps not to snobs

Comment

i guess its real coffee in the same way that mc donalds is "real" food

Comment

Oh No! Now youve gone and done it. You called it real coffee! Doesnt the smell of burning pitch and the chanting give you any sort of hint?

Next time you are somewhere with a really good coffee shop (NZ snobs help out here), take your $4.00 and get a point of comparison. Good instant is ok but it just doesnt stack up with freshly ground freshly roasted coffee.

Comment

Does drinking milk coffee mask the properties of espresso?

Someone name me "good" coffee in Dunedin, New Zealand please

Comment

I am sure there is a Scottish sheep joke here somewhere ;D I struggled to get a really good coffee in NZ last time I was there so I settled for the beer instead

Still recommend you have a look at the Aeropress as they go on top of the cup you are drinking from and give a good strong black coffee. Not an espresso shot but not bad. The other good thing is that no one will knock it off as it looks like a few bits of Tupperware

Comment

Working...
                              X