Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Seedlings

Hey all,

I am after a bunch of coffee tree seedlings. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
    Tom

Re: Coffee Seedlings

still after coffee trees. Anyone?

Comment

Try Daleys Fruit Tree Nursery (I wont include a non-sponsor link, but theyre easily found via google). They have a couple of coffee tree varieties listed, although theyre not always in stock. While theyre based in Qld, they do ship around Aust.

Comment

C.A.P.E nursery
        Near Byron Bay

http://www.capeau.com.au/nursery.html

KK

Comment

Hey !

If your still after some seedlings, let me know.

I can supply you with a limited number of either coffee cherries or cuttings from either the original K7 or modafied Catui verieties as soon as they have finished fruiting (a bit l8 this yr).

What is the climate you live in ? I wouldnt suggest trying to grow any further south than coffs Harbor though as anything resembling a frost will murder your plants?

Comment

Luke mine agrowing quite happily in Sydney.

I was born in Grafton and my Nana lived in Coffs.

I know the climate up there quite well as I do down here.

We get about half a dozen frosty mornings per year wqhere I live now and being aware of the problem has allowed me to protect my plants.

I find that wind is a bigger problem.

Comment

google lookup heartgarden nursery in Baffle Creek Qld... coffee plants are in the edible section.

cheap postage and good plants..

enjoy

Ian

Comment

Edible?

Comment

Of course "edible"

The entire plant is edible if the need arises....say if you were stuck in a Guatamalan jungle and you were dying for a hit(it happens). The whole thing could be eaten.

Did you know one of the first documented uses for the plant was balls of mashed up green bean and animal fat?
                  Possibly the worlds first energy bar?
                  Food for thought(literally). :-?

Comment

Haha luke thats hilarious, I had no idea about the mashed up green beans with animal fat. Gross ay, but, what you gotta do you gotta do.

I second everyone with Daleys and the CAPE nursery, the Nursery outside my town has the K7 varietal but I think youd be after a different one to cope with the cooler climate and frosts yeah?

Comment

Coffee doesnt like cool weather and it hates frost......frost = death! i lost a lot of plants last year when a freak frost rolled in.
                      Its also an easy plant to snap when its windy.

The K7 is the original Australian coffee strain believed to have been picked up from Kona Hawaii when Australia was first been colonised . And originally grown on the far north coast of NSW along with hemp but both were replaced with cotton when the Government at the time stood to personally gain a lot from the cotton growers in the form of bribes and kick backs.
                      Thats actually the reason hemp is illegal in Australia.....luckily the government didnt outlaw coffee

The Catuai or CRB are modified strains. Created to grow around 5 feet in hight in order to be mechanically harvested.

The only coffee i know that might grow in cooler climates is Rubusta .......icky icky!!!
                      LOL sorry for the history lesson... i recently became a qualified barista trainer and im making the history of coffee a big part of my training package.......more barista need to know the history of coffee before they claim to be a barista

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1226113748/0#5 date=1226572915
                        I find that wind is a bigger problem.
                        The leaves easily suffer from windburn.

As for the first coffee plants in Australia, they were brought from South America by the first fleet (1788) and planted on what is now the site of the Museum of Sydney.
                        Unfortunately, like many of the early crops, they failed to survive.

A few years later, Chevalier Verincourt de Clambe, a French colonel, arrived in Sydney on the Minorca in 1801 as a free settler. With the assistance of convicts, he planted cotton, grapes and coffee trees near Castle Hill.

Coffee cultivation didnt start in Hawaii until 1825.

Australian coffee (1788) also beat Mexico (1790), Columbia (1799), and Kenya (1893).

By 1818 Australia was exporting coffee plants from Norfolk Island to some Pacific Islands.

Coffee has also been grown commercially as far south as Berry (100km S of Sydney).

Comment

Oops! i stand corrected!

Maybe its the catui that originates from Kona?

I cant imagine a plantation in Berry growing very well unless under cover. I have enough trouble up here and i keep a very watchfull eye on the weather.
                          NOW!!!.......who wants to smuggle me some cherries back from Peru?...just kidding!....or am i?.....lol no really....just kidding!

Comment

A premium robusta has its place Luke, and not just in soluble form! *ducks from swinging fist*

But thanks for the rundown. Very helpful.

Most of the trees will be grown in Victoria as potted ornamental plants. -- and obviously not for growing a world class crop.

So who wants a Christmas Coffee Tree!?

Comment

I have one I bought off ebay for about 12 bucks if I remember correctly. No idea what varietal it is, but it is growing quite happily on my balcony in Port Melbourne. It has done well over winter but tends to get fried in summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X