Bean Vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean Vacuum

I just noticed this on the front page of digg.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If you notice they are referencing you directly "Coffee snobs will tell you that stored beans wont oxidize and turn bitter as quickly if theyre held in a vacuum."

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/05/bean_vacuum_suc.php

J

Re: Bean Vacuum

I guess if it is anything like a glorified VacuVin then itll be useless.... Ill try to find the thread on them and post it up...

Comment

BamBam,

Do a search on CS re storage of beans......

Vacuum devices are BAD, BAD, BAD!!!!

The things which give coffee its unique flavour and aroma are volatile oils.... i.e. they "boil off" at room temperature and pressure.... apply vacuum.... this lowers the boiling point..... and they disappear super quick..

The beans wont go rancid (air is sucked out) but will taste flat, dull and boring!!!

Comment

Hi JavaB,

Thanks for that. Personally I let me beans degas in valve bags and would never use a device like this. I just thought it was interesting that it made it to the front page of digg and sort of wondered if there would be any difference between this and the other device that YeeZa mentioned.

Also I thought the reference to "Coffee Snobs" was funny. Maybe Andy should take them to court for trademark violation.

J

Comment

At least there was one sensible comment there:

"By myrddin at 8:00 AM ON 05/19/08

the "freshest coffee possible" comes from roasting your own beans. if you roast just enough to last you every few days, you dont need fancy storage gadgets like this."

Comment

Man... they could have used a better looking roast!

Comment

They probably did look better before going in.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1211197197/0#5 date=1211204020
                Man... they could have used a better looking roast!
                Whahaahaa.. exactly what I thought at first glance!  Looks like the roaster of those beans has a serious desire for carbon.  Better to satisfy the carbon craving by replacing the bean carbon with non-carcinogenic carbon which can be more healthily found in fresh fruits like strawberries, bananas and apples, and the coffee will taste better too,lol.

Comment

Looks like they sprayed them with olive oil before taking the photo. Probably to give some distinction of colour other than charcas

Comment

Working...
                  X