Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Days Do You Keep Beans In The Grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Days Do You Keep Beans In The Grinder?

Ok, dumb question, but im interested to know. I find my grinder grinds more evenly when it is filled with beans (Thanks for the tips guys!).

Re: How Many Days Do You Keep Beans In The Grinder

I dont keep any beans in the grinder
    I only place the amount I require to make XYZ number of coffees

Fresh is best

The special coffee bags are the best storage method

KK

Comment

You might have to alter the options to minutes, less than a day

Comment

I cant fill in the survey.
        I measure the amount of beans I want out of the bag, put them in the grinder and grind directly into the portafilter. Time for beans in the grinder--15 secs. to 2 minutes depending on how many coffees Im making.
        Greg

Comment

Would storing the beans for about 5 days affect the quality of the extractions too dramatically?

Assuming the beans are reasonably fresh to begin with (<1wk post roast) of course.

Comment

Theyll deteriorate way quicker IMO

Comment

The valve coffee bags are the best storage method after roasting

Quote from sweet marias
              These bags do WONDERS to preserve coffee aromatics! Essentially, they are better coffee storgage than airtight glass since the CO2 from fresh coffee flushes the oxygen out the one way de-gassing valve , and when you open the bag you can squeeze it while resealing and help force the oxygen out. The CO2 will do the rest. Valve bags are not good for storing ground coffee.
              KK

Comment

I measure out beans for the dose required and then grind keeping the remainder in the one-way valved bag.

Comment

Originally posted by GregWormald link=1216186237/0#3 date=1216187793
                  I cant fill in the survey.
                  I measure the amount of beans I want out of the bag, put them in the grinder and grind directly into the portafilter. Time for beans in the grinder--15 secs. to 2 minutes depending on how many coffees Im making.
                  Greg
                  Im with Greg on this.

SunnyCoaster

Comment

Im in a pickle.

My budget EM0480 cant produce an even grind when its not filled with beans. Yet i only pour an average of two shots a day (~15g each).

So at my current rate of consumption, the beans would be in the hopper for at least 3 days. Or 5 days on average.

Im going to try to leave the beans in the hopper over the coming week. Will see how it turns out or how the flavour changes as they go stale.

Comment

Can you put a bit of card over the beans in the hopper and press it all down with a glass or a spare tamper?
                      Greg

Comment

ezralimm im in the same sitch as you.
                        it seems the options are:
                        staler beans
                        or
                        popcorning (and grind inconsistencies)
                        OR
                        something that will put downward pressure on the beans in the hopper per shot?

Comment

Originally posted by GregWormald link=1216186237/0#10 date=1216189980
                          Can you put a bit of card over the beans in the hopper and press it all down with a glass or a spare tamper?
                          Greg
                          Here is my young daughter’s invention

Fill a balloon with rice to the appropriate size to fit your hopper tie it off and use it as a weight

KK

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1216186237/0#7 date=1216188857
                            I measure out beans for the dose required and then grind keeping the remainder in the one-way valved bag.
                            Ditto.

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1216186237/0#12 date=1216191931
                            Originally posted by GregWormald link=1216186237/0#10 date=1216189980
                            Greg
                            Here is my young daughter’s invention

Fill a balloon with rice to the appropriate size to fit your hopper tie it off and use it as a weight

KK
                            Thats a good idea KK.

I was going to say in answer to the question that a bit of card wont work because theres a finger guard in the way.
                            Your daughters idea is brilliant.

Comment

Guys its not hard to stop pop corning...its quite simple!

Put at the very least, a few hundred grams in the hopper....make the coffees you need. Close the gate on the hopper and put the beans back in to a one way valve bag....be sure to grab what ever you can out of the throat of the grinder as well...as that will hold a fair bit of coffee! of course make sure you do this when the grinder is off.

As I said in another thread, I think premeasuring beans for each shot is the worst method of espresso preparation...EVER. The quicker it dies off, the better.

Cheers,

David.

Comment

Working...
                              X