How long to de-gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to de-gas?

Any thoughts on how long you should let roasted beans degas before sealing in airtight container?

I tend to leave overnight and then seal them away the next morning - is this long enough / too long?

cheers... CTGTC

Re: How long to de-gas?

Hi Simsy,

Different beans degass varying volumes over various times. To compensate for this, many of us use one way valved bags (available from bean bay or other site sponsors). This allows for the gases to continually escape without compromising much in terms of oxidation. Many beans are best rested for 5 days or so (very hard to wait ).

Air tight containers may work but I found mine cracked under the pressure and everytime you open one, it fills with oxygen which you cant remove.

hope that helps,

sd

Comment

Beans can take several days to degas a to the point where they dont blow up a plastic bag like a balloon.

You should experiment to see what I mean.

Put the roasted beans in a plastic bag and expel all the air then seal it and see what happens.

After its blown up expel the gas and do it again.

I recommend the use of one-way valved bags for storage.

Comment

Hey simsy
        The way I read your question is that you want to know how long you leave fresh roasted beans before bagging. Is this right

I bag my beans when they are cool
        I don’t leave them overnight

KK

Comment

Before bagging them I usually leave them out a couple of hours.... but thats from laziness. No real scientific reason unfortunately. A few hours seems to work before sticking them in vavled bags and then impulse sealed.

Comment

All my equipment is together so they are roasted, cooled, bagged and sealed without delay.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1225204345/0#5 date=1225247867
              All my equipment is together so they are roasted, cooled, bagged and sealed without delay.

I keep telling my equipment to pull itself together ;P

Comment

Ideally the beans should be sealed in one-way valve bags immediately upon cooling and reaching 90F. This prevents them from absorbing any moisture from the air.

Roast em, cool em, bag em, squeeze em, seal em.

Java "Roasting away" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Definitely bag straight away.

I just started roasting in Hong Kong 2 weeks ago, and I have been testing them everyday. (It is Autumn here now)

I found that in Hong Kong under constant temperature (Air conditioned environment, non-stop) , and fairly constant humidity it took 10 days for it to settle down.

Alot of Cafes in Australia will not use coffee that hasnt breathed for 4 weeks!!!!!!!
                  (traditional Italian style??????)

Whereas alot of boutique roasters will not use coffee over 1 week.

I know a roaster who loves his coffee when its been out of the roaster for only a couple of hours.

Taste is very subjective.....

Comment

I know it takes a while. Ive vacuum packed some beans after 2 days and theyve still blown the bag up within a day. Im going to wait 3 days with my next batch.

*8^)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS link=1225204345/0#9 date=1226403406
                      I know it takes a while. Ive vacuum packed some beans after 2 days and theyve still blown the bag up within a day. Im going to wait 3 days with my next batch.

*8^)
                      Hi David and welcome to CS!

Im not sure I understand why you intend waiting. Whats wrong with puffy bags?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS link=1225204345/0#9 date=1226403406

*8^)
                        David
                        Are you packing your beans in the one way valve bags?
                        The purpose of the valve is to let out built up gas

KK

Comment

My wife reckons this is going to blow beans all over her pantry.

I reckon the sticky tape over the one way valve will blow.

They have been in there since 1500 on the 11/11/08 anyone want to make a bet on when she blows.

Comment

And what pray tell is the stick tape for?

Comment

To see if I can make them explode.

Comment

Working...
                              X