No announcement yet.

How do you store your roasted beans and the effect on optimum consumption time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you store your roasted beans and the effect on optimum consumption time

Hi All,

as a bit of a follow up from this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1231551077 I thought it was worth running this poll and a bit of discussion on the relative merits of fully sealed, partially sealed or unsealed storage of roasted beans.

Main reason for this is that I purchased an impulse sealer a few months ago for my shop/coffee use and I feel that my beans are now taking longer to reach there optimum now I am sealing the bags rather than by just closing the ziplocks.

Prior to impulse sealing I used to get a small puff in the bag while I now get full blown pillows  8-) Is the trapped level of CO2 in the bags retarding the maturation (and the oxidization) of the beans or has my pallette changed?

If you are short on roasted beans is it worth leaving the bags not heat sealed?

Also interested to know if any of you are not using Valved bags?

Re: How do you store your roasted beans and the effect on optimum consumption time

Ive noticed the same.

Recently I found an impulse sealed bag with a faulty one way valve.
    The beans definitely seemed less matured.

I bought a bag of roasted beans last week that I prefer at 7 days post roast. They had only been roasted the day before so I asked for the bag not to be heat sealed, figuring they should be ready sooner.

I usually roast 500g lots and decide on whether or not to heat seal both 250g bags depending on projected use.

Comment

Re: How do you store your roasted beans and the effect on optimum consumption time

I use ziplock vavle bags and seal them, but I also have vacuum canisters. I havent found a huge difference in the flavour of the coffee from ziplock to container, only its easier to tell when the beans have degassed with the ziplock bags. I have found optimum consumption time depends on bean type and roast level sometimes 3 days sometimes 7 days post roast

Comment

I have an impulse sealer but really only use this for when i "give" coffee to other people.
        I find at home that a roast of 500gm lasts about a week and try and space my roasts to suit but of late will be looking to construct a smaller roaster to accomodate small batches of 200 so that the variety will potentially be greater and will use the impulse sealer more often to ensure that the beans will take longer to degas etc.

Mal

Comment

We consume about 650g (roasted) in a week or there-abouts so always have one bag unsealed and zip-locked being consumed while another is sitting in a dark, cool spot in the back of the cupboard. Usually roast a new batch on the day the sealed bag is cracked and so the process goes on.

The first couple of cups from the new bag reveal that the beans are inevitably "under-done" but by the next day the flavour literally explodes on the palate and pretty well stays that way for the rest of the week. Some beans of course, get better and better as time goes on which really makes it very interesting when getting ready for the first brew of the day.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Ziplock bags with Valves is what I do & use but if I had a heat sealer I would do that also
            I always forget to visit a kitchen shop when I am out (dragged along shopping) :

Originally posted by 7E53575B563A0 link=1234837789/4#4 date=1234875491
            Some beans of course, get better and better as time goes on
            What Mal said about beans getting better as time goes that happens to me with the Mandheling beans

Originally posted by 585556583A0 link=1234837789/3#3 date=1234869282
            will be looking to construct a smaller roaster to accomodate small batches of 200
            Bolb you need to build a hybrid TO roaster like mine

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 3C3B3F303832273730395E0 link=1234837789/0#0 date=1234837789
              If you are short on roasted beans is it worth leaving the bags not heat sealed?
              I use "Ziplock bags with Valves" and dont seal them as most everything I bring home from the Snobbery I want to age faster than normal and use well inside a fortnight anyway.

Storing roasted is not what I ever need to do.

If I had to guess from my previous experiments, the ziplocks would leak 50% of CO2 and heat sealing them is the best if you are trying to keep beans for longer... and ergo, they will take longer to "peak".

Comment

Hi KK
                Your TO roaster design is set as a favourite at the moment and i just need to finish a few things round the house before i start the project.
                I am aiming for a March build of a new roaster.

Mal

Comment

Originally posted by 42666F6F6C6C5642667A6466090 link=1234837789/5#5 date=1234877603
                  I always forget to visit a kitchen shop when I am out
                  You can find them online.
                  I wouldnt trust the availability of spare parts for a sealer bought from a homewares store.

Comment

I got my 300mm impulse sealer from through Ferralbay from an internet store out of Sydney. Standard of finish on the metal is a little ordinary but it works as well as the $200+ ones

Apart from that thanks for the thoughts on sealed or unsealed bags too. So maybe as a rule of thumb 30% ??? less time (or less storage time) needed to arrive at peak if you dont seal them?

Maybe left in an open bowl will be even quicker

Comment

What about these hand held units
                      Thats what I like

KK

Comment

Hi KK,

I think they wont get to a high temp for the foil bags. I am sealing poly tube in the shop and need to wind the timer up on mine to do coffee bags. Nice thing is the little battery units are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by 5C7871717272485C78647A78170 link=1234837789/10#10 date=1234922716
                          What about these hand held units
                          I have one and its a chore to seal a freezer bag let alone anything thicker.

The one I have is very similar to bfs.
                          They seem to be fairly generic and sold under different brands.

Comment

I have a floor mounted one on a stand with a pedal mechanism, also from ferralbay and less than $200. The finish is OK and it will seal a 1KG bag but i need to turn the heat right up and do the 1KG bag twice on the same spot each time

When using bags with ziplocks i only need to seal them once as there is only two layers of the bag.

Mal

Comment

The (only) vote for Vacuum Storage Container is mine. :-X

Is there any problem to use this system?

Comment

Working...
                              X