Re-useable Vacuum Sealer Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-useable Vacuum Sealer Bags

Could this be the answer to the perennial how do I store my coffee problem?

I spotted this vacuum sealer advertised by Big W for $59, but bought mine from e-bay for 15+10 and to me is the ideal bit of kit. Why?
    • The bags are resealable
    • The vacuum can be drawn to any pressure – if you are worried about having an outer-space like vacuum and losing those vital oils, worry no further.
    • The seal caps will simply blow off if you forget to draw off your excess CO2 and can be ‘sucked out’  further when needed.
    • There are three bag sizes, and the small ones in the photo are just right for popper sized roasts.

At least this was a cheap toy – time will tell if it is any good

Re: Re-useable Vacuum Sealer Bags

Jaybee,

Sorry to go OT, but does that thing say that you can cook with those bags?

Im experimenting with sous vide (low temp water bath) at home and this looks like a nice cheap way to have a crack...

Comment

What a top idea. Just need something to keep water at 60 degrees.

Comment

A quick Google suggests that a rice cooker on warm mode could work...

Comment

Originally posted by 3A3129323535500 link=1294655662/0#0 date=1294655662
          The bags are resealable
          Doesnt look like youre lining them with freezer bags to keep them clean.

Originally posted by 3A3129323535500 link=1294655662/0#0 date=1294655662
          The vacuum can be drawn to any pressure – if you are worried about having an outer-space like vacuum and losing those vital oils, worry no further.
          Id still worry.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B677A616B6A7D68606B0F0 link=1294655662/4#4 date=1294708488
            Doesnt look like youre lining them with freezer bags to keep them clean.
            Im not, but that us a very good idea, thanks!

Originally posted by 5B677A616B6A7D68606B0F0 link=1294655662/4#4 date=1294708488
            Id still worry.
            Ive read the physics, and there is certainly cause for some concern. In mitigation, it isnt a true vacuum in the lager sense as it is a soft bag crushed by outside air. The chamber required to provide the diferential to cause offgassing is small (ie the space between beans) and it is the reason why the water in steak does not boil off when packed - it is still under normal pressure from the outside.

But because beans are solid semi-regular oblate spheroids (ish!), there are those gaps and thay can make difference. So Heres the deal. I have packed two bags each with 40g of fresh Merlo Private blend which will equate to 4 shots of coffee each. One I have gently expelled the air out of and sealed, the other I have given the maximum vacuum possible with that little gizmo. It is not too bad - the pack is rock hard (and I would never ever try and store beans like that normally).

I am going to leave both packs in a dark cupboard for a month and blind taste test them against fresh Merlo. I have to say that my palate isnt brilliant, so if there is a Brisbane get together in the next few weeks, Ill get an expert to do it!

I have absoulutely no idea what will happen, so that makes it fun!

Originally posted by 4B6A6E61504D6A6E610F0 link=1294655662/1#1 date=1294699702
            Sorry to go OT, but does that thing say that you can cook with those bags?
            it says the bags can goto 60C for defrosting, so should be ok

Comment

Do you know the roast date of that coffee? Difficult to do an accurate test without that info...

Comment

Thats an easy one - BarMerlo sells fresh every day and I got that batch on the 7th. That should be sufficient to know how old the beans are. (I can tell anyway - Ive been enjoying their coffee for the last few years)

Comment

Fresh?
                  Are you saying that they are sold on the same day they are roasted?
                  How do you know this?

Comment

Nope, Im saying that they deliver fresh beans every day to use. Their website says that they roast every day. I assume that the beans are rested for a suitable period before they are delivered.

If you were to order from their on-line store, you would get the packs date stamped with the rost date, but that doesnt happen in store as they use the same batch of beans that are being used in the store at that time. (That isnt always true for coffee shops and carts that use Merlo coffee. Get your beans from BarMerlo or their website for max freshness and the lovely Private Blend - also I have no affiliation to said organisation, I just love their beans!)

IIRC Campos operate this way too.

Comment

Well, without roast dates you might still get an interesting side by side comparison.

No need to recommend where I should buy beans, I wouldnt buy beans from a store that leaves their dosers full (why bother with fresh if its stale for use in coffee) and would be hesitant to put my money into a company that seems to have sourced a great deal of kopi luwak... (no mention of cage-free that I could see). Unfortunately merlo fills both requirements.

Comment

Well I can guarantee that the two samples I took yesterday are from the same batch, and that the espresso that poured two hours ago from said batch tasted fresh and lovely.

On the ballance of probabilities the batch I buy in a few weeks time will be fresher on that day, unless they use the beans from their hoppers which are stale and soiled by cat droppings ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 2229312A2D2D480 link=1294655662/11#11 date=1294751473
                          Well I can guarantee that the two samples I took yesterday are from the same batch
                          Im more interested in this comparison anyway.

Comment

Drum Roll.....

Tonight I did the test three weeks on. A fresh batch of Merlo Private blend procured this morning and the grinder left on my standard setting.

In order of appearence: Fresh, 3 week old non vacuum, 3 week old vacuum packed.

The older beans were noticably more oily than the fresh.

The photos say it all.

The fresh coffee was a dream to pour. Rich and dark and just about as good as I can get a coffee with my equipment.

The non vacuum packed beans poured through offering little resistance. pale weak crema and quite tastless - stale rubbish.

The Vaccum packed beans behaved exactly the same - absolutely rubbush. I did detect a smidge more residual flavour, but certainly not enough to make even a passable drink for anything but the nastiest of cafes!

The moral of this story is buy fresh.

I am going to re-try the experiment this time next week to see if I can pick up a difference after 7 days. 3 weeks was just too much.

Comment

Just wondering, where did you leave the beans during the period?
                              Were they fully exposed to sunlight the whole time?

Comment

Working...
                              X