Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise for storing beans, Pre/Post roasting

Hi all,
    Am about to start experimenting with a Green bean starter pack with a pop corn roaster.
    What's the best method of storing green beans? I hear people keep them for years but I'd rather buy smaller batches & consume them sooner.
    After roasting, what's the best method for storing resting the beans?
    I'm aiming to consume my roasted beans within 7 - 12 days,
    after resting, do the beans need to stored differently so they keep as fresh as possible for a week or so?
    Thanks

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
    Hi all,
    Am about to start experimenting with a Green bean starter pack with a pop corn roaster.
    What's the best method of storing green beans? I hear people keep them for years but I'd rather buy smaller batches & consume them sooner.
    After roasting, what's the best method for storing resting the beans?
    I'm aiming to consume my roasted beans within 7 - 12 days,
    after resting, do the beans need to stored differently so they keep as fresh as possible for a week or so?
    Thanks
    A commonly used rule is the 3/3/3. That is, keep ground coffee no longer than 3 minutes, roasted coffee 3 weeks and green 3 years. Store them out of direct sunlight, in a cool dark cupboard, not in the fridge. Once roasted, bag them into foil bags with a one-way valve (on sale in BeanBay), let them rest to de-gas for a few days. Also store roasted beans in a cool dark place. They should stay fresh for 3-4 weeks this way.

Hope this helps,
    David

Comment

Hi,
      I bought a vacuum flask (VacuVin Vacuum Coffee Savers
      ) from Coffeeparts - really good
      Cheers
      Dr Dave

Comment

If you go to Beanbay and under other stuff, they sell the coffee bags which come with the one way valve. it lets the gas out but doesnt let the air in. Very cheap and and the perfect way to store your beans. they come in i think 250g and 500g.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
          If you go to Beanbay and under other stuff, they sell the coffee bags which come with the one way valve. it lets the gas out but doesnt let the air in. Very cheap and and the perfect way to store your beans. they come in i think 250g and 500g.
          Also 1kg, but I would suggest using smaller bags. Less chance of them going stale due to opening and resealing all the time.

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful replies.
            I've looked into vacuum sealed containers in the past and am concerned that sucking air out of roasted beans that are still gassing effects the resting process and will change the flavour.
            The resealable bags seem like a great idea and I will definitely get some small bags when ordering my green bean starter pack.
            Do you guys store green beans in the cloth bags?
            Got to get myself one of those member cards with the colour chart as soon as they are back in stock.

Comment

Advise for storing beans, Pre/Post roasting

Thank you all for the helpful replies.
              I've looked into vacuum sealed containers in the past and am concerned that sucking air out of roasted beans that are still gassing effects the resting process and will change the flavour.
              The resealable bags seem like a great idea and I will definitely get some small bags when ordering my green bean starter pack.
              Do you guys store green beans in the cloth bags?
              Got to get myself one of those member cards with the colour chart as soon as they are back in stock.
              Yep i store my greens in the cottbn bags. The beans for the started pack will come in plastic zip lock bags which aren't recommended for the long term. But in the short term they will be alright.

Comment

Thanks David8, I will get some cotton bags too

Comment

Thanks David8, I will get some cotton bags too
                  Sorry, I may not have been clear. All the greens except for the sample pack come in cotton bags. So you probably won't need to buy any.

Comment

Thanks again David, I have ordered a couple of cotton bags anyway cause I think the sample pack beans will last me a while so I may as well put store them in cotton.

Comment

Working...
                    X