Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Beans Fresh

Hi All,

I usually purchase a kilo of beans per month for home use. Problem is that I am not sure how best to store the beans once I have opened the bag. I find that by the time i get about 1/3 of the way through the bag the quality of the coffee decreases significantly. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my beans as fresh as possible?

Thanks
    Nick

Buy a home vac sealer, there are good deals to be had on online auction sites. Seal in portions that you would use over 3 days once opened.

Experiment with keeping the sealed portions in a dark cool cupboard, fridge , freezer and see what works best for you in the cup. There is plenty of good info on the webs / other forums on freezing beans. Don't get caught up on " noise " around these subjects, simply experiment and decide what works best for you.

Most important with any fridge / freezer storage is to let the beans sit unopened at room temp for 24hrs. EDIT: after removal from fridge / freezer prior to use and never refreeze.
    Last edited by Steve82; 18 February 2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

G'Day Nick,

The accepted method of storing beans is in one way valve bags in a cool dark spot, not under vacuum and not in the fridge or freezer, although some do choose to use these methods.

Have a look at this recent thread that discussed the topic in some detail http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...er-vacuum.html one way valve bags are available here CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Other Stuff - 500g Stand-up Valve Coffee Snobs Bags with a little care the bags will last for ages.

Good luck with your coffee journey.

Comment

I have some 250g one way valve bags and put 250g in one and reseal the rest in the original bag. Then refill the 250g one when its empty.

Comment

Yep, as above, i just transfer 200-300 grams into a bag at a time, so the larger bag stays sealed over several days without being opened.

Comment

Yep, yes, yeah. Totally agree with the last three posts, one way valve bags is the way to go.

Comment

Hi Meggs,

You're link will get deleted soon as it's a non-sponsor site.

Site sponsor CoffeeParts have the Friis vault as well:

Barista Accessories Friis Coffee Vaults | Coffee Parts

Comment

Done sorry.

Comment

Nah, don't be sorry........happens all the time! ;-)

Didn't need to delete your whole post either, maybe you could post up some thoughts on the Friis, once you've given it a go?

:-D

Comment

This business of censoring a post because someone mentions a non-sponsored product makes me wonder whether we're living in Australia or Vladimir Putin's Russia. I understand that sponsors expect special treatment and don't want competitors taking advantage of this forum to advertize their products, but when it reaches the point where one can't share potentially useful information or opinions with other members because a sponsor might send his army to Crimea, I begin to wonder about the point of having a forum. I for one keep mentioning that I use a wok to roast my beans, could the sponsors that supply roasting machines start taking down my posts because they don't want people to roast their coffee using anything other than a $400-$1,000,000 roasting machine that they supply?

Comment

Have a read through the forum rules ax72 http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-ne...icy-rules.html pretty straight forward, and given this is a commercial site the rule regarding commercial posts is quite understandable.

The example you use re roasting in a wok is incorrect.

Comment

Whoa, steady on!....I don't think the post was 'taken down' ax, nor is there censoring of posts discussing products of any kind. No products are 'sponsored' by the site.
                        I just let megs know what might happen and put a reference to the product so that if the link was deleted other members could see the product being referred to.

There is plenty of discussion about all sorts of stuff, including corretto roasters and heat guns, for example..... gear not sold by sponsors.

I think megs deleted the whole post her/his/ self, .......... no need.

Comment

Originally posted by ax72 View Post
                          This business of censoring a post because someone mentions a non-sponsored product makes me wonder whether we're living in Australia or Vladimir Putin's Russia. I understand that sponsors expect special treatment and don't want competitors taking advantage of this forum to advertize their products, but when it reaches the point where one can't share potentially useful information or opinions with other members because a sponsor might send his army to Crimea, I begin to wonder about the point of having a forum. I for one keep mentioning that I use a wok to roast my beans, could the sponsors that supply roasting machines start taking down my posts because they don't want people to roast their coffee using anything other than a $400-$1,000,000 roasting machine that they supply?
                          Mate, for all the criticisms that could be leveled, this isn't one of them.

This is a privately owned/funded site. We are guests here.

You may (as per the rules) post information relating to and even directions to alternative gear and alternative sources of gear. As long as that information/direction is not a URL. It's simple and something you agreed to when you signed up to post.

Comment

Is that what happened to the EK43 thread and meta-thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Hildy View Post
                              Is that what happened to the EK43 thread and meta-thread?
                              I don't know and I don't care.

I used to admin a forum (technically I still could as I'm a part owner, but currently on sabbatical) and sometimes you just have to act without explaining.
                              As Dragunov21 said "We are guests here".

Comment

Working...
                              X