Roaster drum builder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaster drum builder?

The need for bigger batches has hit....so Im thinking its time to go down the Andy "incinerator" path and will grab a convection oven....

The rotisserie ones are easy to find....but does anyone here have the skills/equipment to build a drum? There is a guy on evilbay doing them:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COFFEE-ROASTE...QQcmdZViewItem

....but it would be great if there was a local....

Chris

Re: Roaster drum builder?

Chris,

no, Im not going anywhere near the manufacture of one of these......  but

Theres a BBQ place that does custom manufacturing, and while I havent asked them to make a drum Im sure they would. Im sure that you could find a similar kind of place in MELB as well.

Youre right though, when you start getting into this damn hobby (I say hobby, others may say addiction..... whatever)  you end up supplying more and more people with the good (brown) stuff, and any day youll have a 5kg roaster in the garage :

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1151194076/0#0 date=1151194076
      The need for bigger batches has hit....so Im thinking its time to go down the Andy "incinerator" path and will grab a convection oven....

The rotisserie ones are easy to find....but does anyone here have the skills/equipment to build a drum? There is a guy on evilbay doing them:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COFFEE-ROASTE...QQcmdZViewItem

....but it would be great if there was a local....

Chris
      Gday Chris,

Ive often noticed stainless steel perforated waste paper bins for sale at various places like Aussie Post, Myers, DJs, etc and they look to be about the perfect size for a rotisserie based roaster. Im sure a few Snobs have picked them up from time to time and the best part is the price..... between $15.00 and $30.00 depending on where you shop. The units I inspected at Aussie Post a little while back had plenty of heft to them and didnt look like theyd fall apart in a hurry, so might be worth a look . All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Mal et al,
        Be warey of these stainless steel baskets as more often they are actually low grade alloy chrome plated to pretty them up. Cooking grade SS mesh is expensive, so if you find a bargain, it probably not SS. Remeber SS products will carry a SS rating to advise of the grade, like most of the cookware in the kitchen.

So who cares,what difference does it make, probably none. But it could give off harmhul gases once heated. Impossible to say, so I would play it safe and steer clear or steer into a light engineering place and make some enquiries. It may cost more but youll end up with a sturdier product you know will be safe. Use the cheapy for a model knock up so you know what to incorporate in the real one.

Boris

Comment

Ive been using s/steel trash cans (2 different sizes) and they work perfectly well,one is 12mnths old and apart from the bronzing that any s/steel gets when heated for so long at high temps they are perfectly ok.........I gave them a few seasoning runs to test out quality and whilst I couldnt do any toxicity checks they stood up really well. I hear what Boris is saying but there again looking at the other methods that people use for home roasting what chance the $20 poppers have quality s/steel chambers or other oven type devices? Are there any guarantess on the IRoast type devices that the metal is high grade ??

My drum took about 30mins to customise with no particular tool/fabrication skills required (photo posted on another thread). For me drum roasting is the best!! Results have been spectacular.............

Comment

An obvious test is that most grades of stainless are non-magnetic, such as 18-10 and 316 (typical food grades).

So take a fridge magnet with you when you go drum shopping... no stick = stainless.

Comment

Hiya All again,

Another possibility just occurred to mind....... A young guy is building a new house next door to us (there goes the view ) and I noticed a couple of workers carrying in some s/s tubing about 20cm in diameter in lengths of about 2 Metres, and then another batch of perforated s/s tubing the same length but about 25cm in diameter. Turns out it was going to be used for the installation of a Wood Heater and these sections of tubing were for the Flu and a safety shield, both made from s/s.

Hows that sound Chris? Worth a look at your local Wood Heater installers for some off-cuts maybe?,

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mal! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Chris

Comment

Did the magnet test on the s/steel trash cans and surprisingly it didnt stick = stainless.................

Comment

Guys ( &Girls)

I was chatting with someone the other day, (this person doesnt roast their own coffee) and we got talking about coffee, and we strayed on to the topic of coffee freshness.

Over the next 30 minutes we discussed a few coffee subjects, but then this person suggested that you might be able to use a LPG BBQ gas tank as a basis for a roasting drum.

So Ive spent the last week or so thinking of reasons why this wont work. There are a few hurdles such as cutting an opening etc, and drilling some holes in the sides, etc, but I think it might be a good idea.

Has anyone made a drun from a LPG tank ?

MDub

Comment

I think the size and wall thickness of an LPG tank would be complete overkill, it would take a week of machining to do all the holes. And it wouldnt be stainless.

Comment

Mdub

I remember seeing a photo of roaster made from the gas cylinder thing from the back of a forklift. It was on a coffee plantation somewhere out of the way, so there probably werent many options.

The drum doesnt have to be perforated, so drilling holes isnt absolutely necessary but thats up to you. I am yet to find a commercial drum roaster that has a perforated drum... :-? Im sure there must be some out there, but of the Probat, Joper, Diedrich, Toper and Has Garanti roasters Ive looked at, all were solid drums. Ive seen a few sample roasters that were perforated.

When it comes to stainless steel, pretty much everything on my roaster is Stainless, including the drum but again, of all the commercial drums Ive ever seen, none were stainless. High carbon steel or cast iron (I think) seem to be popular choices. I was worried about rust so went with SS.

As for fiinding a drum, you can buy SS or plain old steel cut to length from pipe. Lots of diameter and thickness options available. From memory the section I bought was $54.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Comment

Originally posted by beanmeupScotty link=1151194076/0#8 date=1152152617
                          Did the magnet test on the s/steel trash cans and surprisingly it didnt stick = stainless.................
                          Then it must be Austenitic and not Martensitic Stainless, the latter is magnetic..
                          Drilling the holes would be time consuming but probably not as time consuming as chamfering the cut edges of the holes inside..

Comment

I used a cylindrical file to smooth the drilled hols. I set my axis of rotation, off centre as per the Korean home roaster. using a BBQ spit attatchment on the BBQ I rotate the Alpen Blend chocolate tin at 8 RPM, once ive finish my latest batch of Peruvian gems Ill give my new gizmo a whirl, thermocouple seems to indicated an even temp, max 240degrees, I can reduse/increase the temp by 50 degrees within ten seconds. Chaff will probably be an issue although I will probably cut additional slits for the chaff to escape around the spit axle.
                            Ill post pics next week.

Comment

Well- I found a buddy and have headed down the Andy route for my roaster....I have dubbed it "Roastenstein"

Initial stats are 500gm to 1st crack in around 17 min with 2nd a couple of minutes later....

Could easily do 800 or so gm with a bit more element grunt. Im happy with roast consistency but will have to wait a couple of days for the cup results...

Comment

Working...
                              X