Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Crazy Popper

Hi all!

Today I went in search of a Popper to roast my fantastic coffee snobs july goodie bag. So off to Highpoint I went to find one.

I started at Target, I was hoping to find a mistral one, as I have read that they are not bad. No luck....There were no poppers to be found, on any shelves.  :-?

Ok off to Big W...all they had was one of these miniature popcorn poppers that you find at the Cinemas. On closer inspection I decided not to even bother.

Off to Harvey Normans. Well....all they had was a Breville. "Its the new one" I was informed. I took a closer look at the price $36??   :-/ I was really in two minds whether or not to spend that amount on it. I was hoping for a price around the $20 mark, so if something went wrong I didnt waste my money on it, and not feel robbed. Anyway I bought it, something inside me sort of cried out "But what about the fantastic looking green beans at home waiting to be roasted???".

Just a small question. I have read somewhere here that it is better to have the vents on the side walls of the popper not underneath...This model has them underneath.
    Does this matter at all? When I roasted with 2mcm at the academy he had a plate of some kind lifting the popper up off its front legs. Does this help?

Some advice on this would be great thanks.

Cheers,
    Linda

Re: Breville Crazy Popper

Gday Linda,

Unfortunately, the poppers with the hot-air vents on the bottom are not suited to coffee roasting as the weight of the beans on the vents can block the air flow off to such an extent that the unit will burn out. The poppers with the vents in the side dont have this complication and also have the added advantage that they impart a circulatory motion to the beans which assists the achievement of even roasts.

If you have already bought this unit, youll have to keep it for popcorn only otherwise its not going to last very long. A pretty reliable repository of operational and cheap poppers, will be your local op-shops. They seem to turn up here quite regularly and usually for $10 or less. Might be worth a go . All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Ok thanks Mal!

I have given this popper a go, and it actually didnt do a bad job.

My first roast I burnt . I was so excited I was busy watching them spin round and round and not the timing of them.

Second time, they came out really good. just under 4 minutes all up.

Just a small question. Do the beans have to have a slight oil coating? or just a light sheen on them? The second batch I did looked a little dry, but had a light sheen on them.

I am just so over joyed that I can actually roast!. No more bought roasted beans for me.

Comment

Hi again Linda,

Thats great news . You will probably have to be very careful though as to batch size but at least you can use it so thats terrific. More info on this kind of thing can be found here http://tinyurl.com/itec at Sweet Marias.... a really valuable online repository pertaining to all things home roasting.

When you are first starting out, its not a bad idea to do a "sacrifice" roast of say 80g of beans, and just observe all the milestones that people refer to when talking about coffee roasting, right through to the charcoal stage..... you wont be able to make a brew with them but at least you will now know what to expect with future batches.

What makes an ideal roast? Well, this varies from one bean type to another and from one coffee snob roaster to another..... it all comes down to what sort of flavours you like in a brew. A good starting point though, is to roast a batch of beans until you can just hear the first few snaps of 2nd Crack and then pour out and cool down immediately to stop the roast progressing further. Allow these beans to rest for 24-48 hours in a cool, dark place inside an air-tight container. Just to add to the learning experience, you could pull a shot of the freshly roasted beans and note how this tastes, pull another one at 24 hours rest and then 48 hours. This way, youll discover how the flavours and pouring characteristics develop over time as the beans de-gas.

Basically, your roasted beans should appear quite dry after a couple of days with maybe the odd spot of oil noticeable here and there but not an overall coating of oil.... this would indicate a roast that has been allowed to go too far. For my tastes, I tend to stop roasts for most beans at about 20-30 seconds before Rolling 2nd Crack actually starts. This generally ensures that most of the beans inherent flavour characteristics are preserved and are picked up in the cup after brewing. Some beans are better roasted well into Rolling 2nd Crack, such as some of the Yemen varieties and some of the Brazilians and Colombians are better if the roast is stopped maybe 40-50 seconds before 2nd Crack because of the subtlety of their flavour profiles.

In the end, it will all come down to experimenting with your own individual roasts and determining what particular flavours you have a preference for. In order to enhance the possibility of repeating prior roasts that you enjoyed, it is a good idea to keep a Coffee Roast Log as a ready reference for allowing you to do this... of course, the converse also applies, you wouldnt want to repeat a roast profile for a particular bean that tasted terrible :P either. I hope some of this info is helpful to you but dont forget to let us know how your roast experiences turn out . All the best,

Cheers,
        Mal.

Comment

Thank you Mal...your advice has been fantastic!

On the first batch I did, I actually only put about a 1/3 of a cup. I was a litte apprehensive due to the fact that I wasnt sure if the popper would do anything, and I really wanted to see if it DID work and not wasted my $30. When the beans started up I started my timer and I just got so excited to watch these little things go from green to a brownish colour that I didnt time it and before I knew it they were black. and quite a bit of smoke too LOL.

My second batch I did time, about 1/2 of a cup, (yes I got carried away!) and by 2mins the first crack happened. Just over a minute later the second crack and I turned the machine off and poured them straight away into a metal strainer. WOW....a great dark brown colour, just how I like them!.
          I found that these only had a slight sheen on them, so gathering by what you have said these must be ok, and I will now know what to look for.

I have kept these in a container, and followed what everyone has said about letting them de-gas, so tomorrow I will try them out!

Again thanks!
          Linda

Comment

Gday Linda,
            just to clarify a point in your first post.
            It is recommended that the vents for the actual roasting chamber of the popper be on the sides, not the bottom. If youre looking down into the popper chamber, there should be little indents around the side of the chamber to let the air in.
            The actual air intake vents for the popper are underneath, which are usually just little slots cut into the plastic body. The positioning of those vents is pretty standard, and not important. Just keep them clean and free of chaff and youll be right.
            Good luck with it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovey link=1152343660/0#5 date=1152511462
              It is recommended that the vents for the actual roasting chamber of the popper be on the sides, not the bottom. If youre looking down into the popper chamber, there should be little indents around the side of the chamber to let the air in.
              Hey Lovey!
              Yes they are indeed like that, sorry I should have maybe made myself a little clearer on that!  [smiley=embarassed.gif] Poor Mal... [smiley=lolk.gif]

The actual air intake vents for the popper are underneath, which are usually just little slots cut into the plastic body. The positioning of those vents is pretty standard, and not important. Just keep them clean and free of chaff and youll be right.
              Good luck with it all.
              Thanks again. I have actually had a little more time to have a better look around this forum and found alot more help regarding these Poppers.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers!
              Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Maccas_chicka link=1152343660/0#6 date=1152527221
                Hey Lovey!
                Yes they are indeed like that, sorry I should have maybe made myself a little clearer on that! [smiley=embarassed.gif] Poor Mal... [smiley=lolk.gif]
                Cheers!
                Linda.
                No worries Linda ;D,

The main thing is that you are now roasting your own, and thats great. Im not exactly familiar with your popper but I guess the next step, if its possible, is to fit the soup-tin chimney to the top of the roast chamber..... This will assist air-flow even further and allow you to stretch the roast times out a bit more. The tall Heinz Special Soups tins work well and there are others around that also do the job. Youll be telling us about new blends you have tried in no time . All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Hi Linda & Mal,

Im using the crazy popper with a car exhaust tip as the chimney and it is brilliant! While my first roast was quite frightening re under roasted to over roasted beans, my second roast has turned out a spectacular success. Im still doing between 180g & 250g per batch and this week had the Indian mysore, el salvador, sumatran, brazil, & PNG. All to a fairly uniform mid 2nd crack (1st approx 4:30- 6:30) and (2nd approx 8:30 - 10:00).

Once they got past day 3, they were all fantastic and easily the best coffee Ive had in a very long time. Am now officially hooked on roasting and converting the neighbourhood with my aromatic roasts. Ive even organised for a visit to coffee roaster australia for a 2hr roasting course.

My big tip so far is to use a collander or something like it to increase the heat for each crack - makes for a much more consistent result.

cheers
                  jaxxx ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxx link=1152343660/0#8 date=1157110698
                    My big tip so far is to use a collander or something like it to increase the heat for each crack - makes for a much more consistent result.
                    Hi jaxxx,

Great to hear that youve got the roasting beast tamed a little, dont throw away the whip and the chair just yet though . What do you mean by the comment above jaxxx, I cant fathom what you mean :-?,

Mal.

Comment

Hi Mal - I found that left to its own devices, the cracks took a long time and the roast was looking really uneven. This time I listened for the first of the beans to crack and then put a collander over the chimney to increase the heat in the popper - this caused the remaining beans to crack more at the same time, then I could take the collander off the top and let it pause between 1st and 2nd crack - then repeat the process when the 2nd crack started.

Dont know if this makes sense or is a recommended way of manipulating the heat in the popper but it gave significantly better results.

cheers
                      jaxxx 8-)

Comment

Ahhh,

Now I see the light :P. I kind of do the same thing and so do a lot of other CS popper roasters, except that I use a humble piece of hardwood fence paling off-cut that just does the job nicely. Talk about high-tech, eh :? Nice to see that you sussed it out all by yourself though, must be starting to get a feel for the coffee roasting process now, great stuff [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Ive tried both a sieve and a piece of wood. Both work. I found the sieve a bit
                          more gentle in ramping up the heat. The plank can perhaps be a little too
                          effective Measuring with my t/c, and with top of chimney almost covered, temp
                          inside 150g quickly rose to 270C, which is at the rated limit of my t/c, and not wanting
                          melted insulation in my beans I backed off.

Has anyone else measured temp with a covering in place?

Comment

I have a piece of MDF with holes drilled in to vent - I can drop the themometre probe through the holes into the chamber.

Comment

;D LOL,

I dont block the exhaust off completely , just enough that I can hear a slight change in the pitch of the fan speed, indicating lower CFM. I can just imagine whacking the plank straight over the top, and then wait for the fireworks.... not good for the coffee to say nothing about my poor little popper ,

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X