Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pictures of first roast result - what do you think

Well, Im addicted!!!

Bought a Ryobi 2000w heatgun, used a ceramic bowl (not the one pictured, a thick baking ceramic dish about 16cm in diameter. I figured aluminium is a conductive metal used for flushing heat away, not retaining it. Got first crack at around 9 minutes - I think this is a little too quick, and then it turned into a crackle - is this the second crack? I stopped when that started happening, since the roast was looking a little dark already.

I should say, this is the columbian bean from my starter pack. Is it supposed to be roasted this darkly? Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed the whole process a lot more than I though I would. Especially the sweet sugary smells that start coming off towards the end - beautiful!

Re: pictures of first roast result - what do you t

Welcome to the world of truely fresh coffee Andrew and congrats on your first roast!

Being that these are Columbian beans they will probably taste best at a lighter roast. Columbians usually do best when pulled shortly after first crack has completed, well before 2nd crack starts.

From your post its not clear how long it was after first crack ended before 2nd crack started. From what was said it appears you may have gone straight from 1st into 2nd crack with little or no time between the two. Looking at your picture I see a number of beans with divits out of them. This is a sign of the beans being heated too fast.

A couple of suggestions, use a metal bowl rather than a ceramic one (the ceramic bowl will retain far more heat than a metal one making it very hard to keep the roast from running away when 1st crack is reached) and when you reach first crack reduce the heat going into the beans.

When the beans reach first crack instead of absorbing heat they actually give heat off which can easily lead to a runaway roast if you dont reduce the amount of heat yourre putting into the beans. You dont want to reduce the heat to the point of stalling the roast, but it needs to be slowed down to give the beans time to fully devolop their flavor. A general rule of thumb is you want a minimum of 2-3 minutes between 1st crack and pulling the roast.

Once again welcome to the wonderful world of truely fresh coffee!

Java "Addicted to cracks" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hi Javaphile,

Im not sure if I did reach second crack, or if the first crack just died down into a crackle. Less than 3 minutes passed between first crack and me ending the roast, because they started looking too dark, as you can see. I will reduce the heat after the crack begins next time, and possibly keep the gun further away from the beans to avoid the divits? I will also try a metal bowl!

They smell great!

Comment

andrew- good on ya mate ;D
        I like to use the heatguns two levels and generally start on high and reduce heat once I hear the first pops of first crack, that way the heat given off in crack will not be too overpowering.
        I wonder if maybe the gun is a bit close?
        I work on it being 2-3 inches from the bean mass.
        My first crack normally comes in around 10- 13 minute and I slow it up so that second comes in between 15-16 and I can finish there or push it a bit further into second crack.
        Check out my experiment with the colombian- under the cupping notes for single origins- Ill be updating as I taste. :
        RH

Comment

Thanks, I kept the heat gun at about 1-2 inches above the beans.. Will try taking it back another inch. My gun has two settings, but they are not 50% and 100%, more like 10% and 100%.. But I can just take the gun back a bit further once the first crack occurs.

Will look for your columbian post!

I know I shouldnt use the roast until tomorrow, but can I just say, the columbian is delicious, and Im getting huge crema from it!!!

Comment

Had a go at the panama panamaria special A, using the advice given above.. backed off with the heat at first crack. Colour not as consistent looking.. this is not a fault of the stirrer (as it was stirred constantly). This time I used less heat, with the roast stretching out to about 15 minutes until first crack had disappeared, and the roast was ended. No divets this time Good fun!

Comment

Originally posted by andrew link=1154146490/0#2 date=1154150452
              Hi Javaphile,

Im not sure if I did reach second crack, or if the first crack just died down into a crackle.
              1st crack will be sharp snaps or pops while 2nd crack will sound like crinkling saranwrap, 2 very distinct sounds.

Each type of bean will have its own distinctive sound with some of them being very hard to hear and with a few variatals you may not even hear 1st crack.

I would highly recommend that you pick up a cheap stainless steel bowl rather than using an aluminium bowl or pot. Aluminium can flavor the beans and can also present a problem with maintaining the temperature of the bean mass as aluminium will conduct heat away from the beans much faster than stainless steel will.

Java "Enjoy da bean!" phile

Comment

Originally posted by andrew link=1154146490/0#5 date=1154157173

Had a go at the panama panamaria special A .... Colour not as consistent looking.. this is not a fault of the stirrer ...  Good fun!
                As it happens, Ive been having a go at this starter pack today -- 120g
                lots of all four through the B&D popper. First crack typically at around 5:30,
                second around 9:00, finish just before second starts in earnest.

This gave consistent results for all except the Panama, which turned out very
                uneven, looking a lot like your pic. So this one we put back in the roaster,
                and took it well into second crack, as evidenced by a few of those little
                divets flying off   (stopped after the first couple).

Not sure what effect that will have -- will wait and see.

Starting to get the hang of the popper now, its taken a bit of fiddling eg
                tilting to get a longer time.

First roast (Peru Kontiki) is now a week old. Just tried an espresso, its
                rounded out very nicely. I made a sort of blend: 80% roasted as above, 20% much darker, well past second crack with divets flying everywhere. No
                smoke though.

Yes it is fun! Could be a bit of a haul up the learning curve though ...

Andrew

Comment

We are all on a learning curve mate- so welcome aboard!
                  Even when you start to think you know a bit- like me last week giving advice on machines that was not exactly accurate- you can feel a bit of an idiot when others pull you up! :-[
                  But in the long run everyone comes out on top.
                  So- youve got plenty of company walking up the learning curve. ;D
                  RH

Comment

Hi guys -- Ive just started roasting at home as well, and Im enjoying the results so far. Im using a Ryobi 2000W heat gun as well, so its perhaps the same one: mine was $39 from Bunnings. Along with that Ive just got a wooden spoon, a metal mixing bowl, and the stopwatch on my phone.

Im starting with a kilo of Colombian that I picked up, and Ive done three roasts so far. The first I left running too long, and the beans tasted distinctly burned when I used them. The second was much better, though it all seemed to happen pretty quickly: first crack was around 2.5 minutes, and I took the beans straight out as soon as second crack started (around 4 minutes). Today I put more beans in the bowl (100g instead of the 80g Id used before), and held the gun a little further away, which gave me a first crack around 5 minutes, with second starting around 7.

Looking at this thread now Ill definitely try them with a lighter roast next!

Comment

Originally posted by rayzurhed link=1154146490/0#8 date=1154162116
                      We are all on a learning curve mate- so welcome aboard!
                      A little late in reply, but thanks for the encouraging words. It will be an
                      interesting journey.

Ive now tried my "double roasted" Panama at a week old and quite pleased
                      with it. Full bodied with some interesting characteristics that Ill try to
                      explore further with the next batch.

Tried the Colombian from the starter pack after 24 hours -- a 10 second
                      shot, all crema (well CO2 I guess). Definitely needs a few days to settle!

Comment

Howdy LSD and welcome to the family of home roasters!

You might try putting more beans in your next batch so that you can extend out the roasting times. You should be aiming for the roast to complete at around the 15 minute mark. This will give the beans more time to fully develop their flavor.

Java "Loves da bean" phile

Comment

When I was heat gun roasting I used the colander in bowl method. ie a SS colander in a SS bowl.
                          There are a couple of good things about this:

Any stones fall through the colander into the bowl
                          Chaff if not blown away goes in to bowl
                          The small buffer zone between colander and bowl retained some heat.

LSD

As Java mentioned try increasing your roast size. From memory I used to roast between 250 and 350g at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile link=1154146490/0#1 date=1154149900
                            Looking at your picture I see a number of beans with divits out of them. This is a sign of the beans being heated too fast.
                            Damn, I thought this was part of the 2nd crack! Hey Javaphile, is there an optimum temperature or profile for most beans?  Ive done about 13 roasts so far using a modded popper with a tall chimney, not all roasts were good (they still tasted pretty good though) and I use an infrared thermometer to monitor the roast.  I dont know how accurate this is, but it seems to be in the ballpark.  The latest roasts have reached 200 degrees by 3 mins, 230 by 5, 240 by 7, 245 by 9, 250 after that.  The first crack seems to happen around 5-6 mins with second crack starting around 10-12 mins (when the temp is the highest), this is when the divets start to occur and I thought it was normal.......

However, Ive noticed that the popper drops in speed slightly if something is plugged into the same extension cord (Ive made a sooper dooper cooling box using an exhaust fan to dump the beans into) , so I might try plugging the cooler in after the first crack to see if it slows the process down a little.  what do you think?

Jas.

Comment

Thanks for the hints guys -- Ill definitely try more beans in my next batch, though it may not be for a week or two because I had to take my espresso machine in for repairs... great timing there Hopefully I can get a good result with about 150g, since thatd last me about a week. Thats one of the reasons I wanted to get in to home roasting really: by the time I get to the end of a 250g batch of roasted coffee its getting a bit stale, but if I can roast once a week I should (hopefully) have a never-ending supply of fresh beans.

Comment

Working...
                              X