Clothes Dryer Roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothes Dryer Roaster

Ok - not really serious about attempting to mod a clothes dryer to roast coffee, but has anyone tried using the stainless steel inner chamber of a dryer as part of a roasting device?

Re: Clothes Dryer Roaster

I actually debated doing that but then decided I didnt need batches that big...yet! ;D

Another idea along similiar lines that Ive given thought too is using the drum from one of those small apartment washers where you wash on one side and spin on the other. If you lined the inside of the drum with a mesh with some vanes and put a funnel with the end cut off on the open end youd have a good start on a nice sized roaster, either on a BBQ or a custom made one.

Java "Full of dangerous thoughts!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

How about a concrete mixer drum?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt King link=1156913640/0#2 date=1156921279
        LOL I gave that one some thought as well, but once again it was too big for my needs. So the idea was shelved until such a time as i need a much larger capacity roaster. ;D

I know several roasters that use them for mixing blends and making flavored coffees, but none that use them for roasting.

Java "All kinds of evil thoughts" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Java - I know just the one you mean! hmmmmmm thinks evil dump search thoughts. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Matt King link=1156913640/0#2 date=1156921279
            I was watching a renovation show tonight and when I saw the mixer I had the same thought.
            Just shows Ive bee here too long already.

Comment

Seems apparent to me what we need is a Shrinkray machine. Its just one small part of the coffe roasting jigsaw missing. We have the main item, the concretemixer/roasting chamber, complete with motordrive, inbuilt vanes, and nifty emptying handle. All we have to do is shrink it down to size, and stick a bunsen burner under it for heat.

WARNING: Keep the kids away. We dont want the phrase "Honey, Ive shrunk the kids" reverberating around the suburbs.

---Rob "dream-on" usto

Comment

Like the rest of your coffee nuts.... I too looked at both the clothes dryer and the concrete mixer.

Clothes dryer....
                Domestic ones are VERY flimsy, use cheap bowls and even cheaper motor drives that wouldnt take any amount of heat. Some even use plastic gears (run quieter I guess). So if you went down this path then you would have to look at the bigger stainless (think laudromat) style ones and even so, I had doubts that they would withstand 210C for any amount of time and would suffer from heat transfer through the drum and shaft to the rubber belts and drive mechanics.

Concrete Mixer....
                Yes, have seen these used as "bean blenders" but it would have to be non-painted inside and idealy stainless. (that would pretty flash for a brickys tool). As a roaster it would need a heap of heat to roast or to be enclosed in another drum.... getting expensive and prob close to the price of a real roaster anyway.

Both devices look like they have potential but not enough to make them more than a nutty toy... not that there is anything wrong with that in the CSrs world ;-)

When we replaced our microwave oven I had those same whacky thoughts for a few moments.... it was one of the older style convection & microwave that heats and browns. In my head a roaster that cooked inside-out and outside-in at the same time had some merit... and I still wonder how well it would work.

Comment

let you know in about 15 minutes. . .

Comment

;DMicrowave coffee roasting ;D

Project Parameters:

Acheive roasted coffee by using a standard 1100 watt microwave

Resources
                    • 25 grams green Brazilian coffee
                    • Ceramic bowl
                    • Idiotic grin
                    • Camera to record the inevitable

Settings - 2 minutes on High power (lets not fool around with an imaginary attempt at a profile here)

Comment

Microwave coffee roasting results

• First crack at 1 minute 15 seconds,
                      • First smoke alarm at 1 minute 16 seconds,
                      • First screaming child at 1 minute 17 seconds,
                      • Second screaming child at 1 minute 22 seconds.

Had another of those temporal shift moments with the project though - first look from missus grendel actually occurred at 4 seconds prior to hitting the start button

Ill let the image speak to the evenness of the roast. . .

And let me make this perfectly clear - there will be no cupping report on this.

Comment

Hehehehehehe, love it!! ;D ;D ;D

but maybe there is a way to make the microwave work. Hell you can roast popcorn and coffee beans in a popcorn maker, and you can pop popcorn in a microwave. Maybe the trick is to put the beans in a semi sealed bag like popcorn :-? : :-/

Someones gotta try it .......... Grendel

Belinda

Comment

If only the popcorn bags did not have oil in I could reseal one of those - and it really needs agitation - perhaps if I screw a wooden spoon to the top of the microwave and offset the dish slightly so that as it rotates it would stir the beans sufficiently. . .

Comment

Im currently getting over the flu and laughing so hard after reading all that did not do my coughing any good.

Comment

Maybe try the defrost setting?

Comment

Working...
                              X