Its the Cooler for you Herr Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its the Cooler for you Herr Grendel

Construction on my post-roast bean cooler started this morning at 9 am.

Materials cost about $40 - although many could be recycled without cost (eg if you already have some timber)
    • Arlec D-I-Y 250mm extraction fan (with plug)
    • 1200x300x19mm pine board
    • 2400x38x18mm pine
    • 4mm mesh
    • 400x400x3mm MDF
    • screws etc

Took me about two hours to put it together, then I cleaned off the bench and set up to roast.

I didnt have the camera to record the process - mrs grendel took it elsewhere today, so I took some quick shots tonight - will take some shots of it in action tomorrow.

What I will say is that this cools the beans faster than anything I have ever tried - yes it cost more to build that some of the great methods I have seen - but I had it in my head and it wouldnt go away. It is a bit over-engineered but I dont expect to replace it ever.

The few beans you can see trapped under the mesh are the result of a couple of missing cross pieces in the old piece of mesh I had in my garage.

The bench is about half done - Ive installed the power points, cool and grinder - next will be some slide rails underneath to hold the green bean bins.

Re: Its the Cooler for you Herr Grendel

Oh! and it is dead quiet.

Comment

Looking good Grendel !!

I want one too ;D ;D

Not much of a wood worker though

Belinda

Comment

The mesh might still be a bit large for some beans. If youve got another piece, just cut it to criss-cross the other (diagonally), problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1157809739/0#0 date=1157809728
          Construction on my post-roast bean cooler started this morning at 9 am.
          :-[ Puts my old cardboard box cooler to shame. Still does the job though, and I really will get around to doing something more permanent one day, really I will ,

Mal.

Comment

Beauwdiful!
            Ive just scored an extraction fan from a garage sale for $5, now for the blue print Herr Grendel, can we see the inside?

Comment

I did some peaberrys yesterday - just used an old sifting ring and sat that on top of the fan. As for woodworking - not too hard to knock one up - I can probably supply paper templates if I put my mind to it.

Comment

Just finished mine!
                I had to go with a pot plant holder!

Comment

Love that electric pot plant ;-)

what goes over the top? A large seive?

Belinda

Comment

Yup

Comment

Is the fan secured inside the pot or does it just get squished 1/2 way down?

Belinda

Comment

grendel how do you get the beans out of your cooling contraption?

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1157809739/0#10 date=1157890299
                          Is the fan secured inside the pot or does it just get squished 1/2 way down?

Belinda
                          Sorry about the delay,

The fan is a little like me, not very secure and always turned on.

I havent tested it yet, wet weather has put a dampener on things for a while. :-/

Comment

Looks very interesting... Maybe use mesh and you get a cooler and chaff remover all in one (i think)

Comment

I just scrape them off the top - not much effort there. They dont get stuck in the mesh unless they are very small.

I like Pressos - it would be easy to mount a fan inside a plastic bin also.

Comment

Working...
                              X