Its the Cooler for you Herr Grendel - Phase II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its the Cooler for you Herr Grendel - Phase II

I promised myself Id try this out, so it being Sunday, I made my ritual observances at the 9.30 Service of St Bunnings (the Holey Router).

Having blessed them with $31 and obtained the necessary sacraments of pine boards and MDF I returned home and commenced meditations on the proper popper performance-enhancing unit.

It seemed to come together almost by itself and in moments of difficulty I was able to call upon the aid of St Bosch the all-powerful and the Blessed Martyr Ryobi.

With their aid I was able to vanquish the evil pine knots and complete this stage of my pilgrimage towards coffee roasting perfection.

I have enclosed below an image of the new section of the Altar.

Re: Its the Cooler for you Herr Grendel - Phase I

And the detail:

Comment

Very nice
      Planning for a phase three? hehe

Comment

Perhaps a phase three - maybe a hot air fueled turbine above the popper to provide electricty? Hmmm coffee fueled perpetual motion. . .

Comment

Grendel, what are you using as a fan under the popper?

Love the setup... :-)

Comment

No fan under the popper, the second box fits neatly into the firsts open aperture (formerly the back of the bean cooler. The exhaust air from the bean cooler is constrained inside the popper cooler and blows up through the holes in its top.

Comment

Ahh... ok... sweet....

Have you tested it yet??

Comment

yup - worked well with a standard 100g roast but did not seem to alter an overloaded roast by much (extra 30 seconds is all.)

Comment

This setup would look very nice with a breadmaker in place of the popper :-)

Interesting things could happen Im sure.

Belinda

Comment

Spot-on there Belinda 8-),

Mal.

Comment

Well, I have the feelers out for cheap breadmakers. I hope to be operating a BG/HG setup by christmas.

Ive also drawn up basic plans for a Stainless Steel model of the bean cooler - about a third of the height of the timber model and using a smaller but more powerful fan. it will also incorporate a bean chute so that the beans can be swept off the top, into the chute and straight into the resting bowl.

Now all I need to find is a stainless steel fabricator up my way!

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1158477247/0#10 date=1158646961
                        Ive also drawn up basic plans for a Stainless Steel model of the bean cooler - about a third of the height of the timber model and using a smaller but more powerful fan. it will also incorporate a bean chute so that the beans can be swept off the top, into the chute and straight into the resting bowl.

Now all I need to find is a stainless steel fabricator up my way!
                        Great idea..... but it will be very EXPENSIVE to get something like that made up!

Stainless steel is both expensive to buy and a real mongrel to work with (but anything can be done for a price)

Comment

Bugger - well that might delay the process somewhat - there might be an alternative. Enameled Steel - make it up and bake it up.

Comment

Grendel
                            Possible sources for SS are your local Metal Recyclers, and Air con Duct sheetmetal workers..
                            IMHO SS is harder to work than normal steel but not really that much harder, The Hardware stores have some beut thin 4-5 inch cutting blades SS Specific that cut like a Hot Knife through Butter. If you have a Good Drill and good quality drill bits- Not made in the Peoples Republic of China.. I am tending to replace all of my drill bits under 1/4 inch with Cobalt Bits.. (Note The Gold Tungsten Bits are Good If you buy them from a Tool Shop and not the Junk from Bunnings, which are again made in the PRC..
                            SS rivets are available from most sources as are SS washers to put behind them, Use a Good rivet Gun not a $5.00 made in PRC special..
                            Tig Work is the Killer if it needs fine welds, I cant justify buying one, I do have a Mig that I could convert but again I would need to buy Gas and rent a Bottle..
                            Plans for a Tig (home Made are here)
                            http://myweb.cableone.net/rschell/TIG.htm
                            and here
                            http://classicbroncos.com/homemade-welder.shtml
                            Tepin

Comment

ALDI have a welder on special this week.

Welder and Mask

-  Arc welder
                              -  Current: 55-130Amps
                              -  Thermal cut out
                              -  Forced cooling for long periods of use
                              -  Suitable for electrodes between 2.0 and 3.2mm
                              -  Earth clamp and electrode holder, preassembled and ready to use
                              -  Thermostatic protection
                              -  Single phase
                              -  Includes: protective mask, steel wire brush and scaling hammer

$ 99.

Comment

Working...
                              X