Pictorial Essay of a BM Roast (long)    

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictorial Essay of a BM Roast (long)    

I’ve put this together mainly to be used as a rough guide by newbie roasters and others, so they can see what happens during a roast. I hope this helps someone at least, so it can be seen what to expect from a visual point of view while roasting.

Another reason for this is that as far as I can see it hasn’t been done before. It may have, but I can’t find it anywhere. Sweet Maria’s website features pictures of different roast degrees, but is presented differently to this version. See http://sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.html

Smells can only be described of course and matching the smell of the smoke to the roast progress can only really be gained after doing many a roast as the more experienced roasters here know …...

The other day after modifying/fixing the Breadmaker as per http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1158893099/0 thread, I naturally decided to test it.

During the test a lot of photos were taken to check that everything was going okay. In between taking photos many details were taken of temperature vs time, and what stage the roast was at. Pretty standard manual data logging Id say.

Afterwards the photos were edited to best show their true colours and matched to the records taken to provide a pictorial record of a standard roast. A few of the photos did not match perfectly the actual colours of the roast due to difficult lighting.

Hopefully this will be of interest to newbie roasters to see just what goes on during a roast. This is where the Breadmaker roasting method excels - being able to see and hear what is going on during the whole process, and adjust it accordingly. Temperatures noted are of course dependant on where the probe was during the roast and are a rough guide only. The probe was just above the beans on the other side of the BM bowl to the Heat Gun.

For the record the 400 gram blend used was:-

Mexican Chulita 200 grams
    Indonesian Arabica Linton 100 grams
    Timor Organic 100 grams

Green beans at 0 minutes, all set to go

At 5 minutes approx 155 C. Now the beans start to smell ‘toasty’ (for want of a better description).

At 9 minutes approx 190 C

At 10 minutes, just prior to First Crack, approx 200 C. Smoke can be smelt now.

At 12 minutes and well into a rolling First Crack, approx 210 C

At 13 minutes, end of First Crack, approx 200 C, heat backed off now to a low speed Heat Gun setting

At 14 minutes, just prior to onset of Second Crack, approx 225 C

At 15 minutes, at start of Second Crack, approx 225 C

At 17 minutes, well into a rolling Second Crack, approx 220 C. Strong smell of smoke now.

At 19 minutes, Second Crack is still popping away, mainly as this is a 3 bean type roast. The average single type roast would have finished by now.

At 20 minutes, just prior to dumping into the cooler, approx 220C still.

All cooled and ready to degas, back to room temperature :-) The smokey smell has gone and the beans smell is pure heaven!! Nothing beats the smell of freshly roasted coffee beans ;-)

Now I’m not saying this is the perfect roast, because it wasn’t. But it went very smoothly and most importantly tasted pretty damn good in the cup ;-)

For the full set of photos, although not quite in order, but you can see by the photo numbers, go to http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/fluffOball/Roast%2019-9-06/?start=0

Belinda

Re: Pictorial Essay of a BM Roast (long)   &n

Very nice Corretto! Im sure a lot of newbie roasters will appreciate your work!

Java "Gotta love that smell!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Speaking of the aroma of freshly roasted coffee ,

When I was out the back roasting my most recent batch in the BM/HG, which Ill be calling my Corretto Roaster from now on, a contract lawn mower guy was mowing the lawn next door... I noticed his head ambulating along the top of our fence rail .

Anyway, curiosity got the better of him in the end and he stopped what he was doing and asked me what I was up to. Told him, in the driest inflection possible, "Roastin me coffee mate". "Hey what?", he said.... Next thing I know, he disappears and a couple of minutes later is walking down our driveway to come have a closer look. After the normal greetings "Gday".... "Gday mate", he stood motionless for a little while watching as the Corretto went through her paces at about the 15 minute stage of the roast. "Well, Ill be blowed... I thought you were pullin me leg there for a minute cobber, but you really are roasting coffee :".

We got to talking a bit more about it and of course a brew was in the offing. Asked him what caught his attention to what I was doing, to which he replied "The smell mate, that glorious fantastic smell, I just had to know more about where that was comin from". I think the next time he mows the lawn next door, hes going to come a little bit earlier and learn a bit more about it.... he certainly appreciated the ensuing cuppa this time round .

Mal.

Comment

Too true Mal, nothing beats that smell. :-)

I was roasting last night under the spotlight on the back veranda when I spied my neighbour looking over at me from the fence. He had a strange look on his face, no doubt wondering what the hell I was doing. We didnt catch up then, but Im sure he must have smelt that magic aroma wafting around the place ;-)

Belinda

Comment

Re: Pictorial Essay of a BM Roast (long)    

Thats a terrific series! I have my BM now, minus the pan and blade so until I can sort those out it is still popper time. Once I get the Corretto going (nice idea Mal, very fitting) Ill have to take some pics for my blog along the same time phases.

Comment

Great job Belinda,
            we just moved house and have unpacked the majority of the packing boxes when what should be found in one of them?? A Corretto
            My SO looks at it, then looks at me (who is smiling like an idiot at this stage) then gives me that Oh my god, not another coffee thingy look :
            I then ask in my best innocent voice, "Do we still want this??" She, rolling her eyes again, says, "No dear, its all yours."
            Off to the shed it goes to answer its true calling in life when I get the time to have a play with it
            Keep up the good work [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Comment

Thanks for the honour of calling the BM a Corretto : Im humbled.

But ........ did you know that a Corretto is actually a shot of espresso with a shot of alcohol, such as brandy, frangelico or galliano, served in a demitasse cup. Also a restaurant on Lygon St, Melbourne too.

Funnily enough Ive never had a Corretto :-/ mainly cause I only drink alcohol at night and coffee keeps me awake if I have it too late. But the ideas always appealed to me

But getting back on track Im hoping these photos Ive put up will do some good for the potential roasters out there. Whether or not they want to use a BM. Just with a BM its easier to see whats going on in the roast.

Belinda

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1159261359/0#6 date=1159327722
                Thanks for the honour of calling the BM a Corretto : Im humbled.
                But getting back on track Im hoping these photos Ive put up will do some good for the potential roasters out there. Whether or not they want to use a BM. Just with a BM its easier to see whats going on in the roast.

Belinda
                Agree with the suggestion re the name

The photo sequence is great and Im sure will help many a "green bean" roaster (both meanings apply)

The other BIG benefit of the Corretto roaster is not only is it much easier to see what is going on but the bowl concentrates the sound.... you will never hear the cracks from any other roaster as clearly...... and that sure helps with getting the roast "just right" ;D

Comment

Ya I toyed with Belindretto but Im worried about that that might translate to in italian.

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1159261359/0#8 date=1159338623
                    Ya I toyed with Belindretto but Im worried about that that might translate to in italian.
                    Hmmm I always liked the idea of Belindarama :

I use that on my mobile

Belinda

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1159261359/0#9 date=1159341264
                      Hmmm I always liked the idea of Belindarama :
                      Its your call Belinda,

What ever is your preference, then that is what the BM/HG combo will known as from this day forward on CoffeeSnobs, and dare I say it, THE WORLD!

Dont be shy ,
                      Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1159261359/0#6 date=1159327722
                        Thanks for the honour of calling the BM a Corretto  :  Im humbled.
                        Youre welcome.

But ........ did you know that a Corretto is actually a shot of espresso with a shot of alcohol, such as brandy, frangelico or galliano, served in a demitasse cup.   Also a restaurant on Lygon St, Melbourne too.
                        I did know that, Corretto is Italian for corrected, ie having the espresso corrected by the shot of alcohol.
                        Co-incidentally you have corrected a bread maker to its higher purpose in life  ;D

Funnily enough Ive never had a Corretto :-/   mainly cause I only drink alcohol at night and coffee keeps me awake if I have it too late.  But the ideas always appealed to me  
                        Try it with a nice de-caf, then youll have the best of both worlds  8-)

Good luck coming up with a catchy name for it too  

Comment

Yay Belinda - how you have changed our lives through new roasting practices. Maybe we can call the BMR the Corretto and you can change your CS name to Belindarama? It seems to have the glamour and pagentry befitting the inventor of the Corretto  ;D

Ah - innovation, its what good coffee is built on. Now, I  think it is time for a little correction to celebrate [smiley=beer.gif]

Comment

did know that, Corretto is Italian for corrected, ie having the espresso corrected by the shot of alcohol.
                            Well, there you go, I stand corrected :-)

Co-incidentally you have corrected a bread maker to its higher purpose in life Grin
                            Perhaps ......... ;D a holy thing maybe?

Belinda

Comment

Originally posted by Baristacrat link=1159261359/0#12 date=1159354584
                              Yay Belinda - how you have changed our lives through new roasting practices. Maybe we can call the BMR the Corretto and you can change your CS name to Belindarama? It seems to have the glamour and pagentry befitting the inventor of the Corretto ;D

Ah - innovation, its what good coffee is built on. Now, I think it is time for a little correction to celebrate [smiley=beer.gif]

Nah, think Ill keep the same name, growing attached to it now :-)

Belinda

Comment

Working...
                              X