Datalogged zip files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Datalogged zip files?

I was wondering about having a separate place for accessing the actual zipped data files adn then thought it might be good to develop a bit of a standard so we are all on the same page... What do you reckon?
    Here is what I think
    Please give feedback if you have a better way or better look to the end process.
    Ive attached a zip of my latest roast.
    600 gms of mandehling, elgon, robusta.
    It was 10 degrees outside. I had the datalogger set to collect a temp every 4 seconds.
    Once Im finished I save the file using this format, "blend ingredients, ambient temp, total volume"
    I then open excel and go to import data. Go to the place where youve stored your dattalogged file- probably in "data" folder in datalogger file under program files. Select "all files".
    Excel opens a new window to handle the strange data.
    Step 1 delimited- select yes. IE commas separate fields.
    Step 2 select comas as the delimiter.
    Step 3 go through each column selecting the option "do not import column" EXCEPT FOR THE TEMPERATURE COLUMN!
    Finally select it to come into the existing worksheet.
    You will have one column of data - the temperature. :-[ With me?
    In the column next to the temperature highlight it and format it to time hours minute seconds.
    put 0 for the first and then change the next one down by 4 seconds- select both of these and draw it down to the end of the temperature column!

Now highlighting both columns select insert chart. Select a line chart and work through the options. then place it in the current worksheet.

A lot of work I spose but only once- Next time you just take the new raw temperature data replace the old one- REMEMBERING to SAVE AS the new file name. The chart updates automatically!

Save and zip and upload so I can see it too :

If this can be streamlined further let me know.
    Download my latest batch.
    RH

Re: Datalogged zip files?

Hi rayzurhed...

Another stirling effort!

The above method looks good... Ill try it out when my DataLogger finally gets here.... but although the weekend would have been great for roasting, its about to storm over here in the west... so today (if it comes) is probably not going to happen....

One addition is the spreadsheet should have a record of the times of first and second crack..... and how long into the second before being pulled...

But great work- you make me jealous (and Im almost out of roasted beans) I held off for the arrival of the meter!

Comment

Although I havent noted it specifically, you can see where first crack starts- thats when the temperature slows as I switch to lower heatgun setting. It seems to be alwasy close to 200 degrees.
      Id like to know if I can put a mark on the actual graph in excel- someone might know. Secodn crack is harder to detect- and normally right before I pull them
      Its good fun alright.
      RH

Comment

Using the draw functions in Excel you can place a mark on any part of the chart and even label it using a text box.

Go to view/toolbars/drawing to get the drawing toolbar.

Comment

Sounds good Rayzur

If I ever get mine to work Ill use that method as a starting point for sure

Belinda

Comment

we should probably settle on some standards so taht we have comparable data recording - for example the 4-second temp recording - is that one ok for everyone?

Comment

Ok got my data logger and its great... ;D

Pretty windy but couldnt wait to "play".... results are interesting....

The gusty wind blowing affected the temperature quite a bit as you can see by the bumps on the way up....

The more interesting thing to note is the DROP in temperature after first crack (at about 200 degrees).... :-[

I have always reduced the HG output to cruise into the second crack - and it worked fine.... but the temperature probe proves I was reducing it too much.... :-[ You will notice once I saw the temperature falling I increase the HG output - but it took quite q while for the temp to pick up again!

I havent posted all the data as this isnt a "good roast" by any means.... but Ive posted the graph to show how you can see what is going wrong..

A truly great tool for roasting.. ;D

Comment

Good Graph Java.

I must admit I would prefer to see the time in minutes and seconds. This should work with RHs method.

Was the probe under the level of the beans?

Before I had my probe in the brass tube it would be affected by the wind, but once in the tube, under the level of the beans, the wind didnt affect it at all. ie. my last 3 roasts, which showed a constant temp increase. I dont think Ive done a roast in the last 2 months where it hasnt been windy.

Because of this more consistant reading I kept the HG going on high for about 2 minutes after the 1st crack stopped.

Cant agree more what a great tool it is :-)

Belinda

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1160971272/0#5 date=1160982242
                  we should probably settle on some standards so taht we have comparable data recording - for example the 4-second temp recording - is that one ok for everyone?
                  Something else yall might want to include would be the % weight loss. Or perhaps to make it easier use the end weight divided by the starting weight to give you the percentage of beans you ended up with.

Once a set of standards is agreed upon someone should make up a form with it all and post it as the master template that everyone uses and just dumps their data into. That would make comparing data much easier with everybody using the same standardized form.

Java "Remember to back up your data!" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1160971272/0#7 date=1160987564
                    Cant agree more what a great tool it is :-)
                    Sure is [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

Were going to have a crew of Master Roasters here at CS before too long 8-).... I dont think I have seen this sort of collaboration regarding the tracking of roasts between site members before, on any forum. Might be another first for CoffeeSnobs, eh? Great stuff guys,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1160971272/0#7 date=1160987564
                      I must admit I would prefer to see the time in minutes and seconds. This should work with RHs method.
                      Once again - your wish is my command! (see below)

Was the probe under the level of the beans?
                      Yep sure was Belinda - about 1 cm from the bottom of the pan...

Not sure why it wasnt stable as the temp increased but seemed to correspond to gusts of wind... and the temp went up once the gust stopped! Will continue to check with a dry run (no beans... to see if there is another reason...) :-/

Comment

Nice stuff Java !! Love those minutes and seconds :-)

Yep, the wind affecting the temp needs to be investigated for sure. It shouldnt be affecting it 1 cm from the bottom. Unless the probe isnt just reading the temp from the very end :-?

Love Javas suggestions too. Once we get an agreed upon setup it would be great to use a common template to dump the data into. :

Belinda

Comment

Good thoughts Javaphile - we may want to look at standards for each roasting method - most things will be the same but some things may be different for popper roasts - such as bling/no bling probe positions. I can build a probe tube into my bling for starters to test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1160971272/0#11 date=1160992468
                            Yep, the wind affecting the temp needs to be investigated for sure. It shouldnt be affecting it 1 cm from the bottom. Unless the probe isnt just reading the temp from the very end :-?
                            It may be that the machine is situated in such a way that the wind is being caught by the lid and directed down into the bowl. If the wind was high enough that would affect the temp of the bean mass. Also some machines may be made in such a way that the wind gets into them under the bowl from the lower vents more readily which would also affect the temp of the bean mass.

Java "Fun stuff!" phile

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1160971272/0#12 date=1160992731
                              Good thoughts Javaphile - we may want to look at standards for each roasting method - most things will be the same but some things may be different for popper roasts - such as bling/no bling probe positions. I can build a probe tube into my bling for starters to test it out.
                              Yup! The more data documented the easier it will be for someone else to duplicate the roast!

Things to consider including:
                              • Beans used
                              • Ambient temp
                              • Wind speed
                              • Starting weight
                              • End weight
                              • % weight loss/% remaining
                              • Type of roaster used (hot air, BM, drum etc.)
                              • Make and Model of roaster/popper/BM/whatever
                              • Type and rating of heatgun used
                              • Type/material/size of chimney
                              • Height(s) of heatgun
                              • Times where heat was reduced/heatgun moved
                              • Location of heat probe
                              • Start of 1st crack
                              • Start of rolling 1st crack
                              • End of 1st crack
                              • Start of 2nd crack
                              • Start of rolling 2nd crack
                              • End of the roast
                              • Cooling method used
                              • Time to cool to ambient
                              • Storage method of roasted beans

Java "And probably more that I havent thought of!" phile

Comment

Working...
                              X