BM/TO roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BM/TO roaster

Looking for home roasters who have made a roaster using a bread machine drive motor and a turbo convection oven top. or similar type. Mine can roast up to 2#. Very even roasts. 12" ss pot. Single stir rod in bottom of pot. Driven by bread machine motor. Beans are in constant motion. thanks, Ed to view go to http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com

Re: BM/TO roaster

Havent heard of this done before. Before I came up with the BM roaster I considered using a turbo roast to roast in, but it had problems.

If you stuck the top part of it over the BM to use for roasting Im pretty sure it would just get too damn hot. There would need to be a way to let the majority of the heat out.

Maybe it could work if the heat was directed in over one half of the BM ????
    Interesting idea though.

Belinda

Comment

Belinda added link to view my machine. some mods have been done since pics. on/off switch on front for stir rod. chaff escape slot.

Comment

That looks very interesting!

Have you got a picture of where the beans sit while roasting?

Belinda

Comment

Hi Belinda I need to take an action pic of the beans whirling in the pot.

Comment

Yeah, Farm, that would be great. Interesting setup youve got there :-)

How much can you roast BTW?

It might be possible to use a Turbo oven top as an alternative to the heatgun setup we all use here.

Although the HG is much more compact though :-)

Belinda

Comment

Turbo Ovens as roasters were a hot topic some years back, in I think it was alt.coffee, and were an attractive option for many. The biggest issue was the stiring mechanism.

Temperature control was not an issue as many Turbo Ovens have thermostats on them.

Java "Almost made one" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Might be fun to experiment with something like this as an alternative to a HG if I can find one cheap :-)

Belinda

Comment

Nice one Farmroast, the more different takes on an idea the more likely it is that someone will perfect it.

We have a few members roasting with a Turbo Oven and the stircrazy (with great success) but the stircrazy was never bought into the country at 240v so step down transformers were needed.

Turbo Ovens are available here though... $50-$80 at most domestic kitchen gear shops.

I guess the turbo oven / bread maker would run a lot quieter too... (which will be important to some people)

Comment

Re: BM/TO roaster (pics updated)

I updated some pics http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com next Im
                    going to mount the roaster on its own stand with a pull out cooling fan pan
                    on drawer slides and the roaster will pivet to dump beans into the cooling
                    pan. Also mounting a customed range hood above with flexible vent
                    pipe(aluminum dryer hose) out a window.

Comment

That looks very promising - given that I have the BM shell and motor but not the bowl or paddle. I will have a look at what mods I can make on my BM tonight!

I think Id tkae the hybrid back to the heat gun - although Ill do a cost comparison between that and the Turbo oven.

Comment

Just finished some upgrades to my BM/TO roaster. Microwave cart, cooling setup. dumping feature and a paint job. Ed
                        check my blog site for more pics- http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/

Comment

farmroast

Love the setup, especially the pivot on the BM for dumping the beans.

I had thought about doing something similar but the space between the BM bowl and the case collects lots of chaff which would also dump into the cooler.....

So its just easier to pull the bowl and dump. I just have to remember to use the oven gloves

Comment

Originally posted by farmroast link=1161406077/0#11 date=1168292859
                            Just finished some upgrades to my BM/TO roaster. Microwave cart, cooling setup. dumping feature and a paint job. Ed
                            check my blog site for more pics- http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
                            Cool and classy there farmroast 8-)

Mal.

Comment

I have been searching for a cheap roaster or popper but dont have much confidence in using a popper and unable to afford a good roaster. I do have a BM and Turbo oven which solves the expense problem and the thermostat should allow me to control temperature.

I assume the turbo lid sits on the BM. Can someone with experience on this combo advise me on temperatures/times and chaff extraction?

John

Comment

Working...
                              X