New to Forum Questions on Green Bean first order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Forum Questions on Green Bean first order

I am about to make my first green bean order. I have narrowed it down to 3 sources. www.sweetmarias.com 8 sampler pack, www.cmebrewcoffee.com 8 pack or www.coffeebeancorral.com where you can chose any that they sell in 1/2 lb packs.
    Im considering the latter because I can choose what I want. The problem is I dont know what I want.

So for a beginner, What 6 or 8 - 1/2 lb packs would you choose to get a good variety.

Thank you

Re: New to Forum Questions on Green Bean first ord

justintime,

Given that we are an Australian based site, I dont know much about the sites mentioned, but I suppose it comes down to what you want to do with the end product.

Do you want to just try Single Origins in the cup?
    Do you want to do some blending?
    What sort of coffee will you be drinking (espresso, milk drinks, plunger etc.)?
    What machine/grinder are you using to make your coffee?

And so on.

Generally speaking, its probably worth going round the world. Select coffees from some of the major regions, give them a try and go on from there.
    There are so many to choose from, and so many variations within each region, that its hard to give a specific recommendation. Perhaps one of our US based members (Javaphile... Im looking at you), might have some experience with some of the actual beans on offer on these sites.

Anyway, as a starting point, I would look at:
    Ethiopian,
    Columbian,
    Indian,
    Peruvian,
    Brazillian,
    And any others the pique your interest.

Comment

Thanks for your answer, I havent found a good US forum yet.
      I am just a casual coffee drinker and am tired of drinking stale coffee, I drink it by the cup and like mild coffee. I dont like strong coffee and espresso seems way too strong to me, although I havent tried any. I have bought roasted beans before and like them better but nothing keeps fresh as long as green beans, so I wanted to start roasting my own. I usually use an expresso machine to make the coffee (forced water through the grinds), I also have a french press.
      My wife is a tea drinker. Im just looking for a good cup of Joe. lifes too short not to have the best if you can afford it.
      I have started other topics about a roaster and grinder.

Comment

Where are you located Justintime?

Java "Around the world in a cup" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I live in South Alabama USA about 100 miles north of the Florida Panhandle coast. Problem is its the boonies, a farming community, about 35 miles from any shopping except the most basic.
          I work at home testing Integrated circuits. I always wanted to visit New Zealand, Im liking the US less and less lately but thats another subject.

Comment

Originally posted by justintime link=1165793805/0#4 date=1165804956
            Im liking the US less and less lately but thats another subject.
            Please, dont use the four letter B word here ;D

Comment

no worries, I dont use it here

Comment

First selection of green beans

I just made my first sample selection of beans to try. I tried to get beans with different attributes.
                What is your opinion?

Nepal Himalayan washed Arabica
                Brazil Fazenda natural 17/18 screen
                Honduras Organic - Marcala
                Sumatra Mandehling - grade 1
                Nicaragua Pacamara Peaberry
                Panama Boqette Hortigal
                Colombia Buesaco - Ultra High Grown SHB
                Ethiopian Harar - Horse

Comment

Originally posted by justintime link=1165793805/0#4 date=1165804956
                  I live in South Alabama USA about 100 miles north of the Florida Panhandle coast. Problem is its the boonies, a farming community, about 35 miles from any shopping except the most basic.
                  I work at home testing Integrated circuits. I always wanted to visit New Zealand, Im liking the US less and less lately but thats another subject.
                  Hhhmmm....Well so much for the idea of suggesting you find a local roaster and sweet talking them into selling you some greens.

I cant speak for any of the places you mentioned buying from as I get all of my beans from a local roaster.

As to what beans to buy what do you like/look for in a coffee? Do you like the traditional coffee flavor. Do you like citrus or berry notes? Do you like an earthy raw mushroom taste? Give us an idea of your likes and dislikes and we can then make some informed suggestions.

The equipment you use to brew can also matter. You say you use an espresso machine to brew with but your phrasing makes me wonder exactly what machine/device youre using.

Java "Always with the questions" phile

Comment

The machine is a DeLonghi caffe parma, a cheap expresso machine. I just use it to make 1 cup at a time. Its small. I also use a French press.
                    As far as what I like, thats a tough one as the only thing I can buy locally is whats sold in the grocery store. I really have no Idea whats out there. See previous post on what Im going to order tomorrow. I tried to get a good mix to see what I like. Normally I drink coffee with sugar and cream, but would like to find something that I like without the cream and sugar. Im pretty much a coffee virgin except for the ocassional times I bought some roasted beans, I had some Blue Mountian and some Kona beans. No Idea how old they were.

Comment

Looks like a nice starter selection with some widely varying attributes.

Java "Bring on the variety!" phile

Comment

H justintime,

Ive bought green beans from Sweetmarias. They have been great to deal with, unfortunately I havent tried the beans, as the orders were gifts. But their customer service has been top notch and the selection offered is impressive. The cupping notes on Sweetmarias are very informative even if you are not purchasing from them. Bit of aciton on the mailing list too.
                        http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html

Comment

They was one of my choices as was www.cmebrewcoffee.com I chose www.coffeebeancorral.com because you can choose any of their 80+ coffees in 1/2 lb bags as samples with a guarantee return, if you dont like it, return it. Just pay the shipping. Although at approx $2.50 per 1/2 lb its probley not worth it unless I dont like any that I have chosen. The others are their choice. I also find sweetmaries cupping page is a little busy at trying to find anything. coffeebeancorral has a matrix on their coffees although they are subjective to who rates the coffees

Comment

Working...
                          X