Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does humidity really affect the roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does humidity really affect the roast?

I did quite a bit of roasating this morning as it was a bit cooler than it has been (low 20s) this week and I am home with a busy week coming up next week.

It is also quite humid - nicely though.

I found my roasts went really well. Not too fast and the beans just seemed to give me no trouble at all.

Has anybody else noticed this when roasting in humidity?

Re: How does humidity really affect the roast?

I agree, I am not sure about the science but the roasts certainly seem to work better.

I have noted in another thread that I thought hot weather would mean quicker and also better roasts but it aint necessarliy so.

The big question is...what do they taste like?

Comment

Have to wait for a day or two.

Comment

Yep, the other thing that I am finding is that mine are getting better with age.

I am drinking some Costa Rica that I roasted 8 days ago, started drinking 4 days ago and they have gotten better every day with mouthfeel and flavour.

Comment

Very humid this morning when I roasted, but I cannot produce any conclusive data to say that affected the roast either way...

if anything, it may have been slower. On the other hand, that may have been the slight breeze.... Perhaps the extra 100 grams in the batch.
          Or the turning down of the burners when things got too hot.

Robusto

Comment

A few too many variables in the mix there Robusto to allow for a conclusion.

Comment

Variables is the issue though.

It is so difficult in a home environment to duplicate, replicate identical conditions so that you can alter one thing at a time to then implement changes/improvements to your roasting technique.

Comment

Its reasonably humid here in Perth (well for Perth weather that is)... and no breeze....

Just did two roasts in the Corretto... and although they always go very smoothly - this morning it was a doddle to ramp the temp up past first crack by about 0.1 degree every 5 seconds or so. Both arrived at 2nd crack at 18 minutes as desired!!!

as you said Geoff - there are too many variables to know for sure what is happening - not the least of which is probably the initial moisture content of the beans..... weight loss gives a bit of an idea..... but isnt all that accurate.

All adds to the fun of home roasting.

Comment

I cupped the Indian Mysore this morning and it tasted great. I got a great crema and my guess is that it will benefit from a few more days resting.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1169177791/0#7 date=1169342936

as you said Geoff - there are too many variables to know for sure what is happening - not the least of which is probably the initial moisture content of the beans..... weight loss gives a bit of an idea..... but isnt all that accurate.
                    Hmmm...wonder if I can book a constant temperature room, just to get rid of a few extraneous variables......
                    Dont know how well filling a floor of a building with the smell of roasting coffee would go over though....

Comment

Maybe a simple Temperature (On-Off or PD) Controller is the go for this, like this one here.....

All you need to do then is dial-up the temperature to get to 1st Crack, re-dial again to plateau the roast for a while then finally set it to gradually ramp-up to 2nd Crack. These controllers are relatively cheap though not a PID Controller, and very reliable. Worth a go?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1169177791/0#7 date=1169342936
                        Its reasonably humid here in Perth (well for Perth weather that is)... and no breeze....
                        Hey JavaB I reckon the wind has a big influence on time and process. I tried roasting outside on a slightly breezy day on the premise it would help disperse the chaff and it was very strange in terms of times.

Only tried it once more and went back to the security of my shed.

Comment

Originally posted by varanid99 link=1169177791/0#9 date=1169372745

Hmmm...wonder if I can book a constant temperature room, just to get rid of a few extraneous variables......
                          Dont know how well filling a floor of a building with the smell of roasting coffee would go over though....
                          What about the chaff? They are going to love that.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdee link=1169177791/0#12 date=1169419562
                            What about the chaff? They are going to love that.
                            Easy! Its a biology department. Ill just borrow a butterfly net......

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1169177791/0#10 date=1169391244
                              Maybe a simple Temperature (On-Off or PD) Controller is the go for this, like this one here.....

All you need to do then is dial-up the temperature to get to 1st Crack, re-dial again to plateau the roast for a while then finally set it to gradually ramp-up to 2nd Crack. These controllers are relatively cheap though not a PID Controller, and very reliable. Worth a go?

Mal.
                              Mal,

The changes Ive noticed are more "random variations" in temperature - most noticeably during the plateau region..... Im only talking changes of maybe +- 1% to the output of the heatgun.....with everything else (relative location of gun, bowl, fan etc) remaining constant.

I tend to think it is wind gust related..... now I wonder if you could connect an anemometer to the PID as a control input

Comment

Working...
                              X