Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gene Cafe on its way, but where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Cafe on its way, but where do I start?

Hi,

Thanks to Chris (2mcm), my Gene Cafe is on its way to my house, hopefully before the weekend because Im almost out of beans. He have me a great demo of the roaster and even gave me some freshly roasted beans to try (knowing full well Id be hooked!!)

Now, Im a complete newbie to roasting - Ill I know is that I love freshly roasted coffee beans and I was able to convince my husband that my Gene Cafe will "pay for itself" in about 2 years (but saving money is not my reason for getting into roasting - freshness and convenience were).

I also got a starter pack from Bean Bay and it has arrived.

Now what?

Which bean should I start with (in other words, which is the easiest to roast?)? What is the approximate roast time and temp? Please, keep it simple for a new starter like me!!

Thanks

Re: Gene Cafe on its way, but where do I start?

youll need to tell us whats in your starter

Comment

oops, I thought all starter packs were the same (shows how much I dont know!).

Ok, they are:

Indian Tiger Mountain
      Brazil Peaberry
      Ugandan Rubusta
      Rwandan Cyangugu

They came in zip lock bags - is it ok to keep them in these bags, or should I be moving them to another storage system? I only have the one burlap bag that came with the beens. I go through about 400 grams/week.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MaryP link=1174560881/0#2 date=1174726704
        oops, I thought all starter packs were the same (shows how much I dont know!).

Ok, they are:

Indian Tiger Mountain
        Brazil Peaberry
        Ugandan Rubusta
        Rwandan Cyangugu

They came in zip lock bags - is it ok to keep them in these bags, or should I be moving them to another storage system?  I only have the one burlap bag that came with the beens.  I go through about 400 grams/week.

Thanks
        Mary- best to get them into something which will breathe. They will all be really interesting to drink as SO. I cant see a blend of them jumping out instantly, though 10% robusta will beef up any of them with an extra caffeine and crema hit...

Comment

Me either Chris :-?,

But as you say, the Robusta will add some kick to any of the other three varieties listed. From the couple of roasts Ive done so far with the Rwanda bean though, I would preserve this one as an SO its just great on its own. The Brazil Peaberry might go well with 10-15% of the Robusta and the Tiger Mountain is fine as an SO too but might be made more intriguing with a dash (10% or less) of the Robusta.

Time to get the Lab Coat on Mary and start experimenting a little. Dont forget to let us know on what you try and how it works out. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

MaryP - The first 3 beans in your pack were the same as mine - all aromas and tastes are very different, which Im sure is the idea.

The indian tiger mountain was my favourite - lots of chaf and drama as you roast it and has a rich crema and most importantly...it tastes great. Id suggest you definitely enjoy this as an SO.

Totally agree with Mal re the BP though.

Comment

Is the robusta OK to roast at the same time (pre-blend)?
              10% would be too small a batch for me even in a popper.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1174560881/0#6 date=1174795280
                Is the robusta OK to roast at the same time (pre-blend)?
                10% would be too small a batch for me even in a popper.
                Id suggest that this one be roasted separately TG....

2mcm

Comment

Thanks.

Maybe I could try the heatgun if I find the right container.

Then again...30g in the popper might work.

Comment

Hi,

Ive just done my first 2 roasts with the gene cafe. Overall I found it easy to use. It was very quiet, but I still had a bit of trouble hearing the 2nd crack. My first roast was the Indian Tiger Mountain. I set the temp to 225, and time to 20 min. After 16.2 min I heard the 1st crack, and I think I heard the second around 18.4 min. I was pretty happy with the result (yet to taste it, though) but thought it could have maybe gone a little longer (or higher temp, Im not sure)?

My second attempt used the Rwandan bean. I set the roaster the same as before, but couldnt really hear the cracks as well. I thought I heard the first crack, but Im not even sure. About a min later I thought I heard some more cracking, so then I hit the cool cycle about 1 min later. The beans looked small but darkish. After cooling I had a better look at them and they dont look right - they are small and pebble like, and have lighter bits on them (I think this is the skin that should have burned off when they expanded, but they didnt). Im itching to try this one again tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advice. Should I have started with a higher temp, or just let them go a bit longer?

Ive tried to attache photos, but they were too big. Instead Ive posted them to http://picasaweb.google.com/maryphillipsmeister/CoffeeStuff/photo#5046904037275576338

The first pix is the Indian Tiger Mountain and the second is the Rwandan one.

Any advice anyone?

Many thanks, Mary

Comment

Originally posted by MaryP link=1174560881/0#9 date=1175074670
                      Any advice anyone?

Many thanks, Mary
                      Sounds like you might be best to speak to 2mcm.

I thought the gene came with some pre-set programs? Have you tried any of these Mary? To my inexperienced ear, it sounds like its taking a longwhile to get to 1st crack and then getting to 2nd too quickly???

Comment

Hi Mary ...

I have had my Gene cafe for about 4 months now.

I am currently roasting 300gm of beans at a time, I set my timer for 16 mins and temp of 250 deg - this gets me just to the start of second crack - we like a roast on the lighter side. This works well for us.

The one time I tried a lower temperature 232deg the roast time took a total of 22 mins - and that was with only 220gm of beans. At the end of the roast the beans didnt differ a whole lot in colour but I suspect the roast went further than I intended. Since then I havent really tried lower temps again.

I find it quite difficult to hear first crack, but its much easier to hear rolling second - if I ever let the roast develop that long. I tend to just set my machine for 16 mins and come back about half an hour later after the cooldown - works well for me.

I hope that helps you a bit.

Have you had a chance to try your beans yet. I arrived at my 16 mins just by adjusting my roast times based on how I like the taste - ie trying 30 secs less or more. I have also found they do best after about 5 days of degassing - 48 hrs just doesnt seem enough, even though they are quite drinkable at that point.

Enjoy your machine - it suits my style of roasting well, so I love it.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I dont think the gene comes with any pre-set programs, but at the back of the gene manual it gives some recommendations. Myrtle, I love the idea of starting it and leaving - I may give the higher temps a go, as I have nothing to lose (but a few wasted beans). Chris from 2mcm gave me the original starting point (225 and 20 min), but he did mention that the machines may differ slightly. I think I just need to play around with it.

I should also mention that I hardly had any smoke coming from my machine. Before 1st crack the smell because stronger, but there was still no smoke. I may try a higher temp and see what happens. I wasnt sure if smoke was a sign of a good roast, or if minimal smoke is good.

Ok, baby is napping so Im off to try another Rwandan roast - this time 250 and 16 min!

Oh, and no I havent tried the roast - it was only roasted yesterday and Im trying to wait until Sat (3 days). This is the hardest part about coffee roasting!! (better not start wine making ;-))

Cheers, Mary

Comment

Once you get a bit ahead with the roasted coffee, you simply do a batch her and there to top up your supply. Then theres no waiting for several days for coffee, as you already have some ready.

If only the gene did double the capacity...

Comment

I reckon a suite of the Genes would look nice in my new coffee workstation in the garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X