Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Rotisserie Roaster

Hey Guys,

Over the past week Ive been doing a bit of experimenting and have finally got my rotisserie setup sorted (thanks to the pictures and info posted on this forum). My first roast was on a baking tray and i quickly figured out that that isnt the most ideal way to do things. My second roast was a 100g batch of Indian Tiger Mountain from the starter pack and that turned out ok... but my last batch was 100g Brazillian Peaberry and that seems to have been my best attempt yet. First crack at 15min and second at about 19-20 min.

My question is, how long do the beans need to de-gas for cos im going nuts waiting :-/

cheers

simon

Re: Another Rotisserie Roaster

I usually give Tiger Mountain at least a day..

However a bean like Indian Red Sea it could be 5 days...

It all depends on the bean..

I tried some TM yesterday at 1hr old and it was still nice but did need to rest a bit longer..

I am no expert by far, there are many roasters on this site with much more experience and they will give you some good advice as well

You could try doing a search of the site or sometimes google gives more results as well.

Comment

thanks boldor,

ive read about generic waiting times of anything from 4hrs to 48 hours ... ill be coming up to 48 hours on the Indian Tiger Mountain this arvo so i might start tonight and keep trying over the next few days to see how the taste develops.

By the way, when making my rotisserie coffee canister, i scratched my head for a few days looking for suitable mesh to wrap around the canister. i read a few things here on the forums but some materials were hard to find and some i wasnt so sure about because they were galvanised. I ended up cutting up those oil splash protecting things that you cover your fry pans with when cooking and it works a treat.

cheers

simon

Comment

Im disciplined.
        So I usually wait 48hrs to first try a new bean.
        Then I might try again after another 48.

I have no problem waiting until 7 days for the next taste and after that I will try daily if I have enough to last another week.
        Otherwise Ill eke it out so I can have some left at 14 days for a final taste.

Comment

Im disciplined too...I have learnt from experience that its always best to wait till the beans stop smoking before trying one

Comment

Grind them while theyre still hot!

Comment

I would be talking to a local roaster if youre unsure. Its a good way to compare roasting results. Often Ill buy from a local roaster and then, where I can, roast the same bean at home and compare notes. He was on the money about Kenyan AA having five days rest period. I you buy a pack now and then, most dont mind giving advice.

Boris

Comment

Yeah, you just dont let on how big the obsession has become

Comment

I like to grind them while theyre still hot too - isnt that what FRESH coffee is all about?

Mick

Comment

Im also about to put a drum roaster together... above bench fan forced convection oven with rotiserie... a mate of mine has got the material to make the drum with... Ill post some notes and maybe a pic when its up and running......

Comment

Here it is folks...

Comment

And with the new stainless wire on the milo can

Comment

And a pound of zambia AA beans when green... not now...

Comment

Where did you get the stainless mesh from??

Comment

RayC that is now the worlds most flash milo tin!

Very nice work on the stainless fly-wire mesh, pretty good looking roast too.

They look a little uneven but that might be the photo more than the roast? If the roast is a little uneven (and if it bothers you) then a couple of extra paddles in the drum might help keep the beans moving.

How do you get the beans out of the hot drum?

Comment

Working...
                              X