Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first roast with starter pack :)

Hi All

wanted to share the results of my first roasting adventure!
    Got hold of a crazy popper yesterday and havent modified it yet until I goto hobby store and get necc metal bits, CS Starter pack turned up this morning and tooka random grab and came out with Indian Tiger Mountain.
    Being one that cant wait, I measured out 75gms which was about right that it still kept swirling around on its own "steam" in the popper.
    Recorded results and temps (luckily turns out my multimeter for work has a temp doodat)
    Heres the recorded results recorded mainly at one minute intervals..
    Ambient garage temp 24C according to MM
    Time Temp Results
    1.00  185C nice swirling of beans
    2.00  210C same swirling and bilding of excitement (hadnt even had my first coffee yet)
    2.20  212C first snaps
    2.45  213C lotsa cracking (rolling crack?)
    3.00  220C still cracking
    3.45  222C cracking ceased
    4.00  226C no cracking still swirling chaff going beserk
    4.30  226C first signs of second crack
    5.00  220C second major crack (2nd rolling?) chaff gone nuts
    5.15  222C cracking going nuts
    switched off machine and did the empty into baking tray then collinder into collinder infront of fan with help of partner in crime (gf)
    Wasnt until around 5.oo mark that smoke appearred.

Pic below taken in backyard. They look in person alil darker then photo??
    God my garage smells GREAT cant wait to try this stuff

Is it depending on the type of bean when you switch off as Ive read most tend to turn off somewhere around the second crack?Being my first roast Im not expecting much I have no real idea what Im doing but ITS FUN!!!!

Re: My first roast with starter pack

nice one sullo. congrats on your first roast

did you see any surface oiling on the bean? ambient temperature will affect the duration of the roast - cooler ambient = slower roast.

Is it depending on the type of bean when you switch off as Ive read most tend to turn off somewhere around the second crack?Being my first roast Im not expecting much I have no real idea what Im doing but ITS FUN!!!!
    yeah, different beans will taste nicer at different points of roasts. you trade off some fruity, floweryness and acidity of the bean for roast characteristics, the further you take the roast. sweetmarias has some good reads regarding this (see in particular http://sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.html for roast descriptions).

personally, for the Tiger mountain, id take it to first snaps of 2nd crack. see http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1153730087 for others thoughts.

and yes, it sure is fun

Comment

do i want to see oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1178237331/0#2 date=1178253967
        do i want to see oil?
        Depends.
        Generally most of us would say no.
        Surface oil immediately after the roast means it was taken into 2nd crack a fair way. IE: more than 30 seconds in.
        Darker roasts for home roasters are a matter of taste. Some people like them, some dont.
        Lighter roasts will still develop oils, but it will take a number of days depending on how light/dark the roast was.

Brett.

Comment

oiling is an indication of how far along the roast youve gone. whether you want to see oiling depends on how you like your roast and what is your preference. sweetmarias describe this a bit more in their naming conventions: see http://www.sweetmarias.com/tasteterms.html#roastnames

often a Full city roast will have small patches of oils after you pull them, but as you rest them a few days, youll see more oils coming out.

generally, one extreme to avoid is heavy oiling - that is going past a French or Italian roast. there on in, you start heading into the "imminent fire" stage, as sweetmaris puts it.

Comment

havent got oiling, just madea  ugandan robusta (if memory serves correct) and again no oiling, texture is nice and even and boy does the first roast I did this morning smellgood!
            whats a good starting point to leave beans before use?
            was going to use a 24 48 72 hours intervals to test with? does that sounf about right?

Comment

Yep. Sounds good.
              Most beans need some time, rule of thumb is 2 days, but some are still improving as far as 14 days after roasting.
              Most of mine is gone within 7 days, so testing is not always possible to the nth degree. Its great fun trying though.

Comment

thanks I so cant wait to try these, thanks to everyone whos posted re roasting witha popper would never have thought it ossible before coming to CS

Comment

got back into my goodie bag and roast 75gms ugandan, fc was 2.40 2nd when I stopped 4.30 which going by what Ive read seems a little quick pic below shows results

Comment

also got into the brasil peaberry roasting took a lot longer then the other two batches, fc at 4.06 and 2nd 11.40 chaff went beserk for a good 2 minutes then it fltered off pic below
                    garage is smelling great! this will be a long 24 and 48 hours to try these!
                    Any advice here greatly and humbly taken with much appreciation!

Comment

All of your roasts look pretty darn nice Sullo. Its going to be a tough couple of days ahead though while you wait for the beans to rest,

Mal.

Comment

Sullo - looks very good. Well done.

There is nothing more satisfying than cupping your first roast. I still get a kick out of it.

Comment

well the first batch of tiger mountain didnt last 25hours resting off to roast some more, might leave the other three to rest a bit longer.
                          I think the tiger had a I dont kno0w how to describe it but very sweet taste almost metallicy on the side on my tongue, does that mean acidy? dont want to open my cars battery to get some acid to compare :P

Comment

Looking good from here. Seems like you are doing great for someone starting out. I am also a novice just into roasting. Just had a cuppa of Ethiopia roasted 7 days ago. Taste awesome! Since it is the weekend, will be doing more roast. May be roasting some Honduras and Costa Rica.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1178237331/0#12 date=1178326668
                              I think the tiger had a I dont kno0w how to describe it but very sweet taste almost metallicy on the side on my tongue, does that mean acidy? dont want to open my cars battery to get some acid to compare :P
                              Oh no mate,

Dont check out your battery acid, its just fine where it is . I suppose what youre sensing could be some acidity, though Ive never really thought that the ITM bean was prominently acidic on my palate. Your roast looks pretty well done but if the acidity is a bit high for you, it might be worth your while to extend the roast a little further into 2nd Crack but I wouldnt take it further than another 10 seconds or so. I guess another option, is to use the ITM for Lattes et al as the acid will probably cut through the milk ok.

Its a strange one though, I usually only take my ITM to about 30-40 seconds before the first snap of 2nd Crack and have never thought that it was too acid. Maybe just leave the beans for another day or two (if you can :) as the taste you are experiencing could just be the effects of lots of CO[ch8322] still out-gassing from the beans giving the impression of acidity. An unusual outcome for sure Sullo,

Cheers,
                              Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X