Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green bean storage bags

Hi there.
    Anyone know where I can buy hession or Burlap stlye bags. Or any other suggestions for storage of green beans.

Regards

Re: green bean storage bags

You can buy the fabric at craft stores, and sew up two edges to make the bag.

Comment

Yes mate,

Calico makes a great storage medium and can usually be purchased from a number of bulk sale stores. The only thing you need to watch though, is that it might have a slight "new material" odour that will need to be washed out thoroughly with non-perfumed washing detergent. Weve got such a store not that far from us (90Kms away ) called Spotlight but I dont know how widely spread their franchise is. All the best mate,

Mal.

Comment

Um... sorry for a(nother!) newby question here - are plastic zip-lock bags OK to store green beans?

I hope so, I have just sorted 7 kgs into a dozen 600 gram zip-lock bags  :-/

Grateful for any advice!

Cheers,

CQ

Comment

Coffee Quaffer,

Well I wouldnt use them!!!!

Green coffee beans are a living organism (well almost) and like a nice dry, cool environment.... they give off (and absorb) moisture. Just watch what happens to some plant material stored in a plastic bag.

Sealed in plastic they cant "breath" and there is a good chance they will degrade much faster.....

The word is natural material (cotton or calico bags - just like the bags our CoffeeSnob greens arrive in) in a cool and not damp place. Also keep them away from anything with a strong aroma - spices, naphtha etc as they readily absorb aromas.

Comment

Thanks JavaB, I had no idea.

Looks like Ill be off to a fabric shop tomorrow!

Cheers,

CQ

Comment

My wife bought me a roll of calico recently from Lincraft.
              They are normally not the cheapest of places at which to shop but this lot was on special.

Comment

Ive sent vfxmorley a pm - if anyone else wants to know where you can get cheap bags, let me know (theyre not from me!)

Comment

Ummm.... the reason we ship CoffeeSnobs beans in natural cotton is that they are the perfect bags for storage. Good air flow and dont sweat just store them somewhere cool, dark, dry (and odour free) and they will last a long time.

As for Lincraft... I used to make all the CS bean bags with lincraft calico in the early days of this site. Many a long night was spent fighting with the sewing machine prior to a BeanBay. Lucky it is just a fading memory now... although some longterm CSrs have some collectable bags in their coffee cupboards.

Comment

your a man of many talents Andy

Comment

If I have any problems when I run a few bags up Ill know who to turn to if Mums not handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1182479468/0#10 date=1182559355
                        If I have any problems when I run a few bags up Ill know who to turn to if Mums not handy.
                        I got a feeling that Andy might suggest what you can do with that idea

Mal.

Comment

Ring any time?

Comment

Originally posted by vfxmorley link=1182479468/0#0 date=1182479468
                            Hi there.
                            Anyone know where I can buy hession or Burlap stlye bags. Or any other suggestions for storage of green beans.

Regards

Coffee Bean Corral has what your looking for...3# 5# and 10# and very reasonable too

stick

Comment

Look in your local woolies / Coles / Franklins etc for ham bags - for keeping smoked ham in the fridge.

You can also try running "calico bag" through unmentionablebay.

cheers

jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X