Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tips & tricks for using a gene cafe roaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips & tricks for using a gene cafe roaster?

Hi guys

did my first roast in my new gene cafe tonight - roasted some Peru Sugunda at 235C for 17.5 mins - until I reached second crack and thing began to smoke a bit!/\/

Still - the beans look a bit dry to me, and are not all evenly roasted - could be something to do with temperature stability, as it took 8 mins to get to the desired temperature (which I initially set at 230C but then cranked things up a bit - as it was going so slow)

I guess I roasted for about 40 seconds after the beans started to smoke - and there was no distinctive 2nd cracking sound - just a noticeable crackling sound

How does this fit in with others experience, and any tips for using the machine?

Should I attempt to pre-heat it first by doing a dry run, then removing the canister and starting again with some fresh green beans?

Cheers,

Pat

Re: tips & tricks for using a gene cafe roaster?

Hi Pat ...

You have got it right - that crackling sound is rolling second crack. I usually listen for one or two initial cracks initially, but then usually stop as soon as I hear the crackling. When I do subsequent roasts of the same beans I might reduce the time slightly.

It takes a few roasts to get used to the sights/sounds produced by the Gene.

I found the roast with the Segundu very uneven. In my machine the roast actually proceeded very quickly, and I stopped it at 14 minutes (my roasts usually end up around 17-18mins).

I dont preheat my machine before I do a roast, and I roast in 300gm batches without any problem.

I do my roasts at 230C.

Hope that helps you.

Myrtle

Comment

hi myrtle, thanks for that - going by what youve said I think i may have cooked the beans a bit - but well know by next sunday when theyll be good to grind!

cheers - now on to the next batch!

Pat

Comment

8 min to get up to temp sounds pretty good with beans in it. nothing wrong with that. Peru segunda (which means seconds) is an uneven roaster it has nothing to do with the gene cafe.

All beans smoke at second crack. you will probably notice increasing amounts of smoke after first crack. I try not to do 300gm heavy chaff coffee. the chaff can block the exit of the drum after first crack which will cause two things. lots and lots of smoke and the temp will read lower then whats happening in the drum. sometimes it will look like gene is struggling to stay hot but really its just chaff blocking the airflow. The beans will be roasting faster then you want.

Comment

askthecoffeeguy, something to keep in mind is that all genes vary a little - ie. time to reach max. 250* when cold and empty.

Remember patience is a virtue - my guess is that the reason for the uneveness is that this particular roast for this bean may have been too hot/too short.

Comment

thanks for that dennis

I guess also that it was not only my first roast, but also the machines first roast, so it may take some time for both of us to get into the groove!

P

Comment

hmmm... thanks for that muppetman - i only used 200g for my first roast as i figured that with this small amount it wouldnt matter too much if I got it wrong!

Cheers,

pat

Comment

I stick with 100 g as my first test of a new bean and experiment with that then when Im sure I go to 200 g for a weeks supply of coffee (same set time). When I went to over 250 g the times changed a fair bit as the bean mass was hotter and I end up over roasting. (actually I dont weigh as I found that 100 g = 1 white cup that came with Gene).

Comment

thanks for that - Im at home tomorrow, so if I get a chance ill give it another whirl!

Pat

Comment

instead of making a new thread, I get my gene on monday(oh the waiting ) whats a good starting point temp wise on this thing?
                    Ive read a few posts around 235C do you tend to stay at that temp or reduce heat after first crack and if so, how far?

Comment

Sullo, I suggest you resist the urge to get fancy with the gene in the first instance. Start with a few simple basics:

1. Get advice from Chris, then take his advice
                      2. Dont overload it - 300gm max is for beans that dont swell up to double their size!
                      3. I suggest you use 230*/20 minutes as your benchmark

Comment

This is Eddie Doves (from HB) "root" profile. Hes got a lot of experience with the Gene Cafe and has developed many profiles for different beans, but this is his basic profile and all his other profiles are variations of this one:

Stage 1: 150º C for 5.0 minutes of drying / warming; total elapsed time is 5 minutes

Stage 2: 230º C for 4.0 minutes of initial heat ramp; total elapsed time is 9 minutes

Stage 3: 240º C for 1.5 minutes of continued heat ramp; total elapsed time is 10.5 minutes

Stage 4: 250º C for 3.0 minutes of final heat ramp: total elapsed time is 13.5 minutes

Stage 5: 235º C for the remainder of the roast

I hope this helps someone out.

regards,
                        Bill

Comment

Hi Phil, I tried this out with the following results (300gm yirg)

Stage 1: 150º C for 5.0 minutes of drying / warming; total elapsed time is 5 minutes yes, got to 150*

Stage 2: 230º C for 4.0 minutes of initial heat ramp; total elapsed time is 9 minutes After 9 min temp was 209*

Stage 3: 240º C for 1.5 minutes of continued heat ramp; total elapsed time is 10.5 minutes temp now 212*

Stage 4: 250º C for 3.0 minutes of final heat ramp: total elapsed time is 13.5 minutes temp now at 228*

Stage 5: 235º C for the remainder of the roast temp at 233*, 1st crack at 17min, stopped roast at 22min with roast at 9.5 on CS scale and just entering 2nd crack

moral of the story?
                          230*/20 min is still a good benchmark and far less complicated than the above.

Comment

thank you guys appreciate the feedback and tips

cant wait till it arrives heheh
                            NEW TOY and I promise I wont void warranty Chris

lol I can see Dennis already knows I like uncomplicated, did it show that much when I picked up beans Dennis LOL

Comment

its here its here its here its here!!!!!

can you tell Im excited, thanks to great service from 2mcm aka Chris at Talk Coffee, many thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X