Stone me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone me!

I roasted a couple of batches today and thought Id share photos of the following Burr Killers  

First batch - 600gr batch of the Yemen Ismail:

Second batch - 400 gr batch of the Ethiopian Harrar:

And to think that when I frst started home-roasting, I never even bothered to check for stones  : :-[ (game of grinder Russian Roulette anyone?)

-A-

Re: Stone me!

Yikes!!

They look like little meteorites.

And they came in the expensive beans. Go figure!

Belinda

Comment

Actually,

Youre more likely to get stones, concrete chips, etc in with your beans from these regions due to the method used in drying the beans.... on large concrete slabs where the beans are regularly raked to ensure even drying. Bound to be a few extras in with the beans by the time they are bagged and shipped .

Incidentally, I dont think small stones do all that much damage to the burrs on larger grinders like Mazzers and Macaps, etc its the small lumps of iron and steel that you need to watch out for ...

Mal.

Comment

Thanks God for my Macap.

Comment

Yeah...a grinder will probably chew that right up.

Comment

Im not about to test Mals theory.

Comment

Good to know the Mazzer will take it in its stride - but Im gonna keep checking (just is case a proverbial lump of metal should appear!!)  

From now on, Im going to keep all little found objects in a little tin box - souvenir style!

Cheers,

-A-

Comment

You found some gems there!

We do find quite a lot during the baging of the green beans (which get removed) but we never expect to find them all.

Ethiopian and Yemen are the worst, some other dry processed beans can be bad and we sometimes find big rocks in washed beans too.

most will go through a grinder but obviously you dont need sand in your espresso so do try and remove them post roast.

Infact, postroast they do tend to stand out the best too.

Comment

I check my beans before and after roasting.

Ever since I found a rivet in my Peru Segunda... followed a few weeks later by another piece of miscellaneous metal

Comment

A rivet, wow, I have not seen anything so nasty before!

LOTS of corn, string, sometimes hair (not my colour!) and once hair that must have been donkey or horse mane.

Comment

Ive found small beans (not coffee ones) before. Maybe I should have made some minestrone with the corn and beans.

Comment

I quite often find stones in my Yemen and Ethiopian beans - almost miss them if they are not there.

I sort high risk beans on the bench by spreading them out and moving a small amount of beans across at a time.

Then follow up with a post-roast sort and screen.

Comment

I tried doing a pre-roast sort on the Yemen yesterday, but to be honest I gave up.  Within seconds, they all started to look like little stones - Man that is one ugly little bean!

Good thing it tastes sooo good

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1187505656/0#7 date=1187530242

Ethiopian and Yemen are the worst, some other dry processed beans can be bad and we sometimes find big rocks in washed beans too.  

Infact, postroast they do tend to stand out the best too.

The only stones I have found in any of my beans was with the Ethiopians..

Andy, Ill have to disagree with your postroast statement. I find them easier to spot pre-roast..

Comment

Tip for you, mount a magnet in your grinder hopper. Ive seen magnets hung with string from the hopper lid. It will not catch stones but the metal surprises are the real worry.

Comment

Working...
                              X