How long do Green Beans last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do Green Beans last?

Just wondering how much to buy. How long do they last before roasting?

Re: How long do Green Beans last?

If stored correctly, they can last upto 3 years.

-Linda

Comment

Hmm, Im pretty sure Serge Siboni has suggested 10!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1189674712/0#2 date=1189676122
        Hmm, Im pretty sure Serge Siboni has suggested 10!

Woah...Is that so?...And stored in the callico bags for that amount of time too?

Comment

So what is the correct way to store your stash?

Gazz

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz link=1189674712/0#4 date=1189676891
            So what is the correct way to store your stash?
            Mine are kept in Callico bags in a dark cupboard, away from all odours.

-Linda

Comment

Originally posted by NeedCoffeeeee..... link=1189674712/0#0 date=1189674712
              How long do they last before roasting?
              Depends on how desperate you are.
              I can usually go a whole week without roasting any.

Comment

I store mine in calico bags in open, wire shelving in our storeroom ( a ventilated concrete bunker) with an ambient temp of around 20*. I havent measured the humididty. Being in the storeroom means they dont have to travel far to the roaster and still manage to give the room that nice, grassy, earthy smell with a lingering hint of cinnamon, and boysenberries that linger sublimely in my nasal orifices ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1189674712/0#7 date=1189690226
                  I store mine in calico bags in open, wire shelving in our storeroom ( a ventilated concrete bunker) with an ambient temp of around 20*.  I havent measured the humididty.  Being in the storeroom means they dont have to travel far to the roaster and still manage to give the room that nice, grassy, earthy smell with a lingering hint of cinnamon, and boysenberries that linger sublimely in my nasal orifices  ;D
                  mmm, that makes my "under the bed (albeit in calico bags) amongst things like suitcase, pillows, blankets, motorcycle helmets and bundles of paperwork" -storage look a bit casual, doesnt it... :-/ :-[

L

Comment

Well,

I store my stash in a similar way to Dennis and to give you an idea, a little while ago I thought Id go through the stash and rationalise some of the "remnants" that were too small in weight to roast on their own. The oldest of these was around 250g of PNG Sigri that I bought back in October/November 2003 and these combined with a range of other beans that were all older than 3 years made for a very delectable mixnmatch blend, with plenty of the Sigris spicy fruitiness coming through.

It would seem that if your storage method is reasonably well managed, you can expect a decent shelf life from your beans. Although, I think if you want to get the best out of them you should try and use them before 12 months comes around. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

As long as your nasal orifices arent filled with the wonderful aroma of napthalene.

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1189674712/0#10 date=1189693149
                        As long as your nasal orifices arent filled with the wonderful aroma of napthalene.
                        Heaven forbid nunu ...

Mal.

Comment

Im surprised LeNez du Cafe doesnt have a napthalene sample. You never know...

Comment

no naphtalene within coo-ee of me or my loved ones, nunu...it happens to be one of the most carcinogenic substances known...
                            i still wonder why people use it, when natural camphor is readily available and much more user friendly! :-/

no, the under-bed box is just for stuff, no clothes...it gets aired almost daily (mattress/base lifts up on struts) and the bicarb soda we put in the storage space is still very dry and powdery, so no moisture in there.
                            well, apart from the two jerry-cans of "home made" which are also stored under there...

L

Comment

I prefer the smell of cedar chips personally.

Im very quickly running out of space on my shelves for greens. Guess I need another shelf :P

Comment

Working...
                              X