RIP POPPER HELLO BM--HG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP POPPER HELLO BM--HG

I picked up my green beans on Friday and raced home and started roasting some Costa Ricans, did one batch and then this horrible smell came from batch two the fan on my popper had expired and burnt my new beans.
    So Ive been scouring the for sales in the paper for a bread maker, from the posting I read it sounds like an older Breville would be the way to go?
    Went to Bunnings and checked out heat guns, Bosch had a model with variable temp and a digital readout, is this a good gun or any recommendations?
    All advice is good advice....................
    cheers
    Greenman

Re: RIP POPPER HELLO BM--HG

The variable temp Bosch is a great HG. Ive used one for about 6 months. Its not really necessary if you can manage good heat control by varying the distance of the HG, but it makes roasting life a bit easier.

If you want to build a PID controlled roaster, then the Ryobi HG is about half the price. No use having a variable temp HG if youre going to use PID control.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Just saw a Breville BM in paper , it is 3yo would this be a good machine for roasting, its only been used twice and they want $50.

Comment

I had the simpler (and cheaper) Bosch gun before moving. It was fine, just adjust the distance you hold it.

(I now have a used Makita which I got second hand)

Comment

Ive had a busy weekend went to Bunnings are decided on a Ryobi HG, bought a Breville BM from the Sunday Times. I did a test roast last night and was delighted with the result, a nice even roast. Still got to get a fan to clear chaff and build a cooling system for roasted beans, probably the exhaust fan in bucket!! Probably after that get a TC to check on temperature. I couldnt have imagined myself getting so involved with coffee a few months ago, see what you CSers have done to me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1191103202/0#4 date=1191277942
            I couldnt have imagined myself getting so involved with coffee a few months ago, see what you CSers have done to me!!!!
            MOAHAHAHA........Were an evil, evil crowd! [smiley=evil.gif] ;D

Java "And were lovin it!" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hey GM, WELCOME TO THE CORETTO CLUB!

I just built a bean cooler [fan in a bucket, colander above] so I thought Id share my experience.

I started with a $16 Bumblings ceiling fan, I wanted it to blow up into the colander, [rather than suck through] so I needed to reverse it, I was able to flip the rotor [symetrical body design] but I found the airflow a bit weak, plus it seemed to come from the edges of the fan rather than the centre where I wanted it.
              So back it went [after re-reversing it]
              I ended up buying a little 20cm-ish personal fan also from Bumblings for around $8.00.

I found this much better than the ceiling fan: much more air flow and it projected up through the centre[ie through the beans] so you may want to try this instead of the ceiling fan.

It works well, cools the beans to air temp in about 2 min.
              With minimal stirring.
              You could do better with a more powerful fan though.

My colander was is a wire mesh type, the holes are about 4x4mm, I found the standard colanders [stainless steel with punched holes] retained too much heat.

The other bonus is that the larger holes in the mesh will be better at rejecting stones etc.

Oh yeah, I also found you need a lot more holes in the bucket [to improve the airflow] than you would think necessary.

Comment

Appreciate the info Reubster, will check out the personal fan and hopefully build it by the weekend.
                My family were most put out that I bought a bread machine which would never bake a loaf....especially my daughter whose popcorn machine I fried getting into this bean roasting!!!
                cheers
                Greenman

Comment

Hi Greenman,

I did my first Corretto roast today. I used a Sunbeam compact BM which I got on ebay for $20. My HG is the Ryobi 2 speed which is $45 at Bunnings. The fan I used to blow away chaff and cool the beans as well I got in Coles for $17 ... and it works really well Have a look under Corretto roasting for pics of my setup.

It was two weeks today that I asked the question about which espresso machine to buy...now I am roasting my own beans as well... thanks to CoffeeSnobs.

Cheers
                  Maxy

Comment

Good work Maxy, its amazing how it gets one hooked. My coffee journey has been fairly rapid as well. There is so much to learn and CSers are a great source of information.
                    I got the Ryobi 2 speed at Bunnings as well, got a good little fan there for $10 for clearing chaff and cooling beans. Got my BM from Sunday Times ad for $40, it had only been used twice for breadmaking!!
                    My favourite bean that Ive roasted so far is the Kenya AA from Aug beanbay, Ive been using them as a single origin or blending them with NG Fairtrade for good result.
                    Ill check out your pics, will post some of my set-up soon.............
                    cheers
                    Greenman

Comment

Hey Maxy

I saw the same BM you have at a seconds store for $30, & am dying to try corretto!
                      Ive heard that some BM dont rotate for long enough & need to be modified.  Im not very technically minded, did you need to make any mods to yours?

Regards
                      Andrew

Comment

im interested in how you control a BM/HG setup with a PID...

Comment

Originally posted by Menace link=1191103202/0#11 date=1193869317
                          im interested in how you control a BM/HG setup with a PID...

If you have some electrical knowledge..... its not that hard...

First you need to purchase a ramp and soak PID (available on that place of Evil... just do a search for "ramp soak".....)

Then you need a SSR capable of handling 10Amps comfortably - mine is 40 Amps..... this controls the power to the heater....

Open up the heatgun and if it is like the Ryobi 2 speed it has two circuits... one for the fan and 60C heat.... leave that one..... and one is for 600C heat.... you then need to open that circuit and connect to the SSR (on the 240V side :).... connect the PID output to the SSR.... drill a hole through the wall of the BM and bowl to insert a thermocouple (solid type like the ones Andy sells with the data logging multimeter) and connect to the PID.....

If you havent killed yourself in the process.... and have connected everything properly.... you now have a PID controlled roaster.... which works brilliantly... enter the profile you want (you define the set points and time in the PID) and press start!!!

But ONLY attempt this if you have electrical knowledge and experience... 240V can kill.

Comment

WOW... Id love to do that... But of course I wont be because Im not an electrician!!! Isnt that right kids!!!

Definitely going to look into getting it done though!

Comment

This is an excellent, highly functional little controller that is perfect for the job....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X