Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the normal size of your corretto roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the normal size of your corretto roast?

I was curious as to what is the usual batch size that people are using on their correttos

Note: Not the max, just the normal size.

Re: What is the normal size of your corretto roast

500gm (green) seems to be about right for me ........ slows the roast down a bit and gives me a more consistent outcome.

I also usually do two types of bean, at the same time but separately, ones that I can have either as SO or blend to give a third style and flavour.

Also a smaller roast just doesnt seem to last long enough.

Cheers Gazz

Comment

i think that depends on the BM, shape of the bin, paddle, depth of the bin....
      i used to do 500gm easily in the Breville, but the Breadman BM did better with slightly less...
      i used a capp-cup (which was sitting handily on top of the Bott..) to scoop out of the bags, and for the Breville i used a level cup of beans, times 3... and for the Breadman BM 3/4 of that cup, times 3.

however, i have pushed both BMs to well over that limit...600gm plus from the Breville, and 500gm plus from the Breadman.

L

Comment

I have Lizzis breadman now and I find 350g seems to go well. I intend to try to push it higher if I am roasting enough for us and a friend or two, but if it is for home only I stick to 300-350g green.

Comment

Yeah, 300 g is my normal size. But Ive done as little as 120 g and up to 700 g .....

Belinda

Comment

Hi All,

My roasts are usually around the 700g - 900g area as this is what we consume in a week to ten day period plus allowing for a 3-4 day rest it all works in rather well. If roasting for relos and friends, etc the batches go up to about the 1.0Kg mark and this is all handled very easily in the Breville Big Loaf and my trusty little B&D HeatGun.....

Mal.

Comment

I normally do 300g because it means I average around 2 roasts a week. Have done as small as a 100g and up to 600g.

Handles it without any problem.

Comment

does anyone find that with larger batch sizes they get a more uneven roast? I do 300 grams every time, I ahve tried 400 grams once but got an extremely uneven roast but am now thinking that it was that particular bean (cant remember what it was at the moment).

The reason Im curious is I now have many other people I am roasting for so obviously stepping up the roast size would save me a considerable amount of time.

Also anyone find that they had to make a larger paddle to keep the larger amounts of beans moving?

Comment

Gday Rollo,

It could have been the bean variety you were using or maybe the heatgun is a little small for the job. In my case, Id reckon that the larger the batch sizes the more even the roast is once you get above 200-300g batches. Ive noticed with smaller batches than this in the Big Loaf that the roasts can start to get a bit patchy so I avoid them these days....

Cheers mate,
                  Mal.

Comment

300g is my general batch size and Ill do several of those each time I roast. If I know that I cant roast for a few weeks then Ill up it to 400g or 500g. Or if I just want a bit of robusta or monsooned to play with, then Ill do 150g or 200g.

Comment

Rollo,

Agree with Mal, I found that smaller batch sizes [<250g] tended to be a little uneven and harder to control between 1st & 2ndC.
                      Im getting good results with 400 & 500g, one day Ill try more just to see how it goes.

I got great improvements in my roasts by making sure the tip of the heat gun was just inside [a couple of mm] the bin and dropping the HG temp down to about 520C.
                      Earlier roasts @ 600+C with the HG tip above the bin were uneven and harder to control.
                      I put this down to creating a more constant temp within the bin.

Funnily enough I also reckon the 400/500g bean size is better distributed by the paddle than for smaller masses, the weight/momentum of the beans seems to ensure a better mix.

Comment

thanks guys, ill try a larger batch size with something like the huehue which I know gives a nice even roast. And hopefully it will give me more control aswell because at the moment by the time I hit first crack and try to slow things down a bit its a case of too little too late as second crack is well on its way.

ill give it a go next time Im roasting.

Thanks again

Comment

Ive got a 1kg Breville and with 150-250g in hopper they fly all over the place and out of the roaster. With 300-400g this does not occurr, plus the larger batches last a little longer as well.

Comment

"does anyone find that with larger batch sizes they get a more uneven roast?"

No, not so far anyway. I did 400g tonight, cf the usual 300g, and found
                            the result if anything more even, and certainly easier to control.

I think 400g will become the "normal" batch size. This is because of my
                            wife. She (a) drinks too much coffee; (b) steals it to take to work; and
                            (c) finds people to give it away to. For example, I did 2x300g on Tuesday
                            and Wednesday, now down to about 100g in each bag and I havent even
                            tried it yet

Comment

i agree with HB... the bigger batches were oftern more easy to control....

L

Comment

Working...
                              X