Corretto construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corretto construction

Hi all- Long time listner, first time caller...
    Tomorrow I build the corretto. I went to that really big hardware store this arvo and bought a GMC variable heat, 2 speed, temp display HG (ripper). I will team it up with my Breville BM.

Does anybody have any "learned from thier mistakes" type tips? Also- At what height do I mount the gun- ie how far away from the top of the mixing bowl? Also some advice re thermometer placement, type etc would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Corretto construction

Welcome coffeebreath,

if you go to the post http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1164028430
    you will be able to see a few photos of Correttos setup so this will give you the idea for HG and probe placements.

Good Luck, Ik sure you will have loads of fun building it then roasting from it.

One word of advice though. If you are having any trouble from the GMC HG, take it back and go for another model. I had to take my GMCs back twice as they did not work properly. I finally swapped for a Ryobi and havent had any probs with this one.

Comment

Have fun building your Corretto. With the heat gun I mounted mine on an old standard lamp stand so that I could adjust the distance of the gun from the beans for different types of roasts, others have used fans, easels, tripods etc...CSers are a very inventive mob. For most roasts I have the gun 1-2cm above BM bucket, get a $10 fan from that big place you got your HG for blowing chaff and keeping HG body cool and clear of chaff, I also use it to cool my beans aferwards placing it under a cooling rack made out of flywire and pine wood, it cools the beans very effectively and serves 2 purposes.
      Good luck with your Corretto and future roasts!!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback...might take the GMC back- thought the variable heat control would be a winner... I was gonna afix the HG at a a static height, thinking the varible heat would compensate for not being able to move the height of the HG...I might have to re-think now... Thanks again.

Comment

Hi coffeebreath,

Yep, GMC for this application are bad news.....

As The Goodies said above, Ryobi take some beating (they are very well made for the price)...

Ive been using mine heavily for well over a year including lots of back to back roasts and hasnt missed a beat.

The variable temp heatguns look attractive but the adjustment is rather coarse and repeatability isnt all that good..... unless you go for something like a Bosch.... which is quite a few $$$$$$$

Better to get the two speed Ryobi (about $40) and just adjust the distance - works very well..... and later you can fit an external triac controller or PID if you wish.... but the basic setup works fine.

Enjoy your roasting.

Comment

Will Bunnings change out the GMC even though the packaging has been opened?

I also had similar thoughts with this HG.

Just waiting on the starter pack to arrive.Got a bit greedy tonight on Bean Bay and now have aroung 5kgs grams to learn this craft!

Comment

B0nnings gave me a number to call to replace my GMC, the number I called took the details of the problem then they delivered a new one to replace the "faulty" one, twice!

Comment

Mine is not yet faulty I just want to change this out for another due to all the bad press.

I havent used this yet just opened it up to see how I was going to mount it.

Not too sure what the return policy is when you just dont like the product. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

...I reckon bunnings would exchange my granny!! Not worried about the opened package- Maybe I will give the GMC a run and see how it gos...despite the bad press. Ill sleep on it...
                  Im interested in anyones experience re. fitting a thermometer. I never used one in my poppers so Im unsure exactly how to fit. I believe I just drill through the plastic BM casing and through the metal mixing tub so the probe is sitting roughly in the middle of the beans. Is this right? Any advice on (particularly) what not to do?...Thanks for all the replies...it has been interesting reading.

Comment

Id persevere with the GMC. As long as you leave it on without heat at the end of a roast its fine. As soon as it does give you grief then call the retailer.

I drilled through the BM an over size hole first then soldered a copper pipe into the BM casing then i drilled a small hole in the "bowl", my thermocouple probe slides through the copper and into the little hole in the "bowl". The probe sits about 5mm away from the rotating paddle and about 10mm from the bottom of the bowl. Well it did when I first did it, now it has a banana kinda bend in it after being bombarded by more than 100 kgs of bean!

Comment

when i was a Corretto-club member, i used Robs GMC, for 3-4 roast per week, 7 months in a row, no problems.

however, i had taken the black protector sleeve off the nozzle...  found the gun was getting too hot running in the pointing-down position smack in the middle of its own bounced-back heat!

once the sleeve was off, the gun operated without a hitch, and i never ran it "down" to cool it after a roast, just switched it off once the beans were done... did make sure the vents at the top were kept clean of chaff,though, but other than that, problem free operation!

L

Comment

Hi All thanks for the replies... well I persisted with the GMC and after re-thinking my initial ideas for the set up came up with a basic static attachment for the gun, attached it to our old nappy change table which has 2 levels of bench space and is on wheels...Im now off to the big tool shop for a pedestal fan (for gun cooling and chaff) and some bits n pieces to knock up my bean cooling tub.

I did 1 roast as it is- only did about 300gr (Sumatran Mandehling "kuda Mas")...started off at 650c till 1st crack then reduced to 500c roasted to near 2nd crack in about 12 mins...the came out allright...Im happy so far...will only get better with improved fan set-up, better bean cooling and addition of thermometer... I learned a few things, particularly that Im a crap carpenter!

Does anyone know anything about temp. sensor/no touch thermometers for this application? Would love some feedback...

I attatched a photo of progress thus far... Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeebreath link=1195639050/0#12 date=1195701163

Does anyone know anything about temp. sensor/no touch thermometers for this application? Would love some feedback...
                          Hi coffebreath,

The best idea is to get the digital multimeter with thermocouple available from Andy:

http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/?CategoryId=52

You will need to drill a hole through the wall of your BM and also the bowl to place the tip in the beans.... but that gives best results.

The non contact type of temperature sensors get fooled by the heat haze and smoke and can give erratic readings. The thermocouple works far better.

Comment

I have got the variable temp 2 speed Ryobi and have put a fair whack through with it including quite a few back to backs and she works very well.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Coffeebreath,
                              although i agree with JavaBs comments about the distortion of readings when you use a no-touch (laser etc ) temp sensor, i will say that i have used just such a sensor for all my Corretto roasting, and with good results.
                              it is just a matter of getting a grip on the particular distortion your sensor has... mine had slightly different temperatures in the 4 corners of the BM-bin, but its readings were consistent, so i adjusted my calculations accordingly.
                              i found the no-touch sensor a good intermediate way of gauging the temperature in the beans, more so because i was initially using my BM for bread also, and did not want to modify it too much.
                              once i had a dedicated roasting BM i was so used to the sensor i kept using it.

my sensor came from Dick Smith, was orange/yellow in colour and cost about 40 dollars, i think...

good luck!

L

Comment

Working...
                              X