hOw do you store your green beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hOw do you store your green beans?

Just wondering how and where people were storing their green beans. I have quite a few kgs from the beanbay and am thinking about this question.

Regards,

Runfast.

Re: hOw do you store your green beans?

I find bookshelves good as you can easily find what you are after.

As for conditions, I am not sure but I dont think green beans are too sensitive, mine are just in the garage.

John.

Comment

I store mine in a cupboard in the calico bags away from any odours that can contaminate the beans.

Comment

Im in the same boat as runfast...... just bought my first from the last beanbay, so know very little re: storage.

Im presuming they should be away from sunlight, but what temperature and humidity parameters should they be kept between??

ta,
        b4b.

Comment

My preference is to store beans in the bags they came in unless it was plastic, and in wire racks to allow uniform airflow around the bags. Mine are kept in a ventilated concrete storeroom that has a stable temp of around 20 degrees all year round but am sure cooler temps would be fine too.

Unless you live in the tropics, store beans in the bathroom, or on a balcony with an excellent close up view of the ocean, I dont think you have to worry too much about humidity.

You might like to try this link for some other opinions...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1108011172

Comment

Thanks Dennis.......good link. I wasnt too sure what humidity would do to them and that thread just about covers it all.
            I have a spare shed used for storage of documents in plastic boxes, but it is also frequented by rodents. Now, I know theyll chew into the bags, but will they actually eat the beans? Has anyone seen this? (Hope Im not kidnapping the thread).

b4b.

Comment

There have been a few good threads on storing beans over the ages:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1182479468/0

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1162007818/0#0

and a real oldy but a real goodie: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1160091135

In fact it does come up rather often

Belinda

Comment

Originally posted by beanz4brainz link=1196229714/0#5 date=1196248829
                Thanks Dennis.......good link. I wasnt too sure what humidity would do to them and that thread just about covers it all.
                I have a spare shed used for storage of documents in plastic boxes, but it is also frequented by rodents. Now, I know theyll chew into the bags, but will they actually eat the beans? Has anyone seen this? (Hope Im not kidnapping the thread).

b4b.
                yeah, but when it passes through their system you can sell it for a fortune

Comment

Originally posted by runfast link=1196229714/0#0 date=1196229714
                  Just wondering how and where people were storing their green beans. I have quite a few kgs from the beanbay and am thinking about this question.

Regards,

Runfast.
                  We have a "Search" function in the Toolbar at the top of the page and it is quite amazing the information that can be revealed when using this very handy tool :P :

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                  X