Where to point HG into BM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to point HG into BM?

Ive pretty much worked out the height at which to mount the HG. The nozzle of the HG just goes into the BM chamber slightly (no more than 3cm). Im curious now about where you point the HG (if looking alongside the HG like the barrel of a gun). Do you point it in the centre where the paddles are? Or (if you split the BM into imaginary quarters) do you point it into the 1st quarter etc?

Re: Where to point HG into BM?

I wouldnt recommend fixing the HG height.

To get the best control between 1st & 2nd C you will need to raise the height [to lower the temperature].
    I have the Bosch HG [with Temp control] and I still prefer the "raise" method, but am still experimenting.

Also,
    I found in winter [with cold wind blowing] that the HG nozzle needed to be just inside the BM basin but in summer it needs to sit about 10mm above.

I can be very dependent on your basin shape.

Provided you get an even roast, it prolly doesnt matter where you point the HG.

In earlier posts there was some concern about pointing it directly at the paddle [due to overheating the teflon coating].

In mine, I just aim it the a "wave" of beans, with the thinking that these beans will be the most agitated and hence mix better.

Comment

As Reubster said,

Better if you can have adjustable height for reasons explained above.

As far as aiming the heat gun, the objective is to heat the bean mass, which is proportionately more towards the outer half of each quarter.
      I dont see much value in heating the paddle too much, however there can be some value in preheating the unit depending on batch size and ambient temp.
      Suggest pick a quarter and aim it at the centre of of the quarter, which should give good heating of the bean mass, and means a temp probe can be inserted in the opposite quarter to monitor approximate bean mass temp.

Regards
      Bullitt

Comment

My setup at the moment doesnt allow for easy height change of the HG but Ive been using the variable temp part which works quite well for me so far. There is a slight lag from when I turn down the temp to when I see the temp start to slow down but I can factor that into the roast a lot easier than I can try to change the height.
        Also, Im finding that because the temp probe is deep (almost near the base of the BM chamber) and opposite end of the chamber from where the HG is pointing, the temps I get are about 20 degs lower than what i expect as normal ie. I get FC at 180 degs, rolling FC close to 190 degs and SC at 205 degs. I think if I place the probe higher up and nearer to where the HG is "pointing", Im more likely to get a higher reading at the crack points.

Comment

Originally posted by NewToEspresso link=1197507243/0#3 date=1197515662
          about 20 degs lower than what i expect as normal ie. I get FC at 180 degs, rolling FC close to 190 degs and SC at 205 degs. I think if I place the probe higher up and nearer to where the HG is "pointing", Im more likely to get a higher reading at the crack points.

HmmmmMMMmmmm NTE,
          its Fortuituous that you raise this, now I wont have to start a new topic or be accused of goin OT.

Im getting the same-ish temps with my newly aquired Jaycar DMM + probe
          FC @ 180C and always spot on, and SC @ somewhere between 190 & 200C.

For the record my probe sits about 1cm under the top of the bean mass [when the beans have expanded] but is in the opposite side to the HG.

I suspect it may be reading low.

I read another post where a CSer had a similar problem and I think he ended up replacing the probe and all came good.....but for the life of me I cannot seem to find it again.

I need to check the probes calibration in boiling water, before I go any further with this, I guess if its low, I can take it back to Jaycar and demonstrate.

In many ways its not a problem because it seems to be consistant and I still get a temperature and a temp rate of change, but I guess once I start going down the roast profile start it would be good if my readings could be directly compared to other CSers.

Any opinions/suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by reubster link=1197507243/0#4 date=1197585173
            about 20 degs lower than what i expect as normal ie. I get FC at 180 degs, rolling FC close to 190 degs and SC at 205 degs. I think if I place the probe higher up and nearer to where the HG is "pointing", Im more likely to get a higher reading at the crack points.
            FC @ 180C and always spot on,  and SC @ somewhere between 190 & 200C.

For the record my probe sits about 1cm under the top of the bean mass [when the beans have expanded] but is in the opposite side to the HG.
            When I first started roasting, I had the same scenario, with the same temp readings. I reconfigured my set-up with a couple more holes drilled through the BM above the initial one so I could alter the height of the probe depending on what amount of beans I was roasting. I also adjusted my HG so that it aimed directly at the tip of the probe (probe being immersed about 20mm under the top of the beans).

That did the trick! Far more accurate readings with FC around 205C & SC around 225-230C.

Guys, I wouldnt be too worried though if youre getting consistent readings, albeit 20-30 degrees under the normal expectations for cracks.

Ive also found that Im increasingly trusting my own visual judgement when watching the beans roast as a determinant when to finish the roast, rather than watching the DMM & stopwatch with the type of anxious look that expectant dads seem to get ;D

Cheers,
            Tony

Comment

Hi,
              This is interesting…
              I don’t know if it’s any use but this was my experience:-
              When I set up my system the Heat Gun nozzle is level with the top of the bowl.
              The HG is a Bosch with 3 fan levels and variable heat (10c inc.)
              I don’t change the height of the HG instead adjust temp.
              Temp probe is through the side of the bowl +/- 1cm. up from the floor of the bowl, in the 3rd quarter.(CW)
              HG is aimed at 1st quarter (CW)

Initially I found that readings were much lower than anticipated, very simular to yours, (my previous set up was different) I wrapped some insulation around the bowl to reduce heat loss and to reduce the noise (cracks are a bit easier to hear now).
              To my surprise the temp. readings increased to more normal levels. (1st X @ 195c, 2nd X @ 215c)
              I did also find that when doing larger batch sizes 400-500gm the readings were higher, with the uninsulated bowl.

Experimentation with chaff collectors and top insulators continues…..
              Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by reubster link=1197507243/0#4 date=1197585173

HmmmmMMMmmmm NTE,
                its Fortuituous that you raise this, now I wont have to start a new topic or be accused of goin OT.

FC @ 180C and always spot on,  and SC @ somewhere between 190 & 200C.

I suspect it may be reading low.

I read another post where a CSer had a similar problem and I think he ended up replacing the probe and all came good.....but for the life of me I cannot seem to find it again.

I need to check the probes calibration in boiling water, before I go any further with this, I guess if its low, I can take it back to Jaycar and demonstrate.

Any opinions/suggestions?
                I remember reading the probe being inaccurate too and getting it replaced by Jaycar fixed it. I might have thought that wqs the problem had I not first used the probe extensively when I was using the popper and was getting temp readings of 200-205 for FC and 225 for SC. I suspect its more the case of the probe sitting low down in the beans and away from the point of the HG. As long as I keep getting the same result ie. consistently 180 degs for FC and 200 for SC, it provides me frame of reference and I dont necessarily use the exact temps to determine when I slow down the heat or pull the roast. And the results are great thus far, roasting them them this way certainly brings out more in the beans than the popper way.

Comment

would be very interested in your chaff collection findings Billi... "its snowing in my shed!!"

Comment

My DMM arrived in l/box this morning so Ive just done my first Corretto with heat probe inserted. I had the probe sitting mid-way into the 500g batch, reached start of FC at 10.13 at 194C and pulled roast at start of 2nd crack at 14.40 temp 2010C (Tanzanian Arumeru AA beans). The roast looked lovely and even around CS9 mark. How do these figures sound??

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1197507243/0#9 date=1197691019
                      and pulled roast at start of 2nd crack at 14.40 temp 2010C

WOW 2010C....... and the roast looked good?

I would have thought the Corretto would have melted at that temp!!!

Comment

Ho ho, typo error there!!!!

Comment

Well, other than the typo (I assume you mean 210C )....

Yep, they look pretty good. I normally try to hit FC a little earlier....

But they should taste.... FANTASTIC!!

Comment

I probably need to have HG closer to bean mass as it took 3.25min to get to 100C and 150C was reached at 6.35!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1197507243/0#13 date=1197692255
                              I probably need to have HG closer to bean mass as it took 3.25min to get to 100C and 150C was reached at 6.35!!

Yep, move the HG closer. Over 3 minutes to get to 100C is far too long.... Im generally there in about 2 minutes from start.

Comment

Working...
                              X