No announcement yet.

How much coffee do you roast each week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much coffee do you roast each week?

I usually roast around 2 kgs a week- we drink about a kilo, and I have several friends that I supply. 2kgs doesnt seem like much but its between 8-12 batches in the Hottop or Genecafe, and its very time consuming.

I really understand the temptation to do a Dennis!   I could have the weeks roasting done in half an hour!

So, Im wondering how many people are in the same boat?

Maybe a roaster manufacturer will read this thread and think to themselves, "Hmmm, there really is a market for a 1-2kg roaster for under $2k!". (Michelle looks out window, ooh, look at the little flying piglets!)

Re: How much coffee do you roast each week?

Just completed two batches of around 550g each on the barbecue which should see us and guests through to Boxing Day. :-/ About 500 grams per week is the norm.

I like my coffee and associated gadgetry ....but I think I would easily resist the temptation to spend up to $2000 on a roaster. Especially when the barbecue set up cost $0.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle link=1197866174/0#0 date=1197866174
      I really understand the temptation to do a Dennis! I could have the weeks roasting done in half an hour!

So, Im wondering how many people are in the same boat?...
      [/i])
      Hmm - 3kg @3 roasts per hour x a comfie 7 hour day, say 4 days a week = 252kg. Yep, Im fine now - no more upgrading roasters for me! ;D

Comment

Good to see youve allowed one of those 8 hours per day for a rest, Dennis. Dont want to overdo it. Love the 4-day week, too.

Comment

Certainly roasting more at the moment with Chrissy approaching(Presents and all). Will slow down again after christmas.

Comment

Usually 2 roasts per week on the BBQ which yields a little over 1kg.
            They go into sealed 250g bags in the pantry for 4-12 days before using unless desperate ;-)

Mostly I do 2 SOs and have them both available during the week for alternating or trying a bit of blending.

Sometimes 1 or 2 of the bags makes it to a friend/workmate.

If I am roasting for others, I might increase the size of each roast and/or do a few more.

Most I have done in one session would be around 3kg (4 roasts).

Comment

I generally do a couple of roasts per week so that I have a rolling supply and variety of beans at hand. Ive been doing a 500g size roast lately with good results.

Comment

Generally 300g green weight per week which is enough for my personal use.

I roast for a few friends occasionally, then I double up, but its not regularly enough to call it weekly.

Comment

In the Gene: 2 or 3 SO roasts per week, with one decaf roast every 2 weeks...
                  when i had the Corretto it was one (pre-roast blend )roast per week (about 500 gm), unless i wanted to do SOs: then it was also 2 or 3 smaller ones.

today, though: 3 roasts per hour, 5 hours "work", yielding 12 bags of coffee ...
                  same tomorrow... HOHOHO...Phew....

L

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1197866174/0#7 date=1197878994
                    Generally 300g green weight per week which is enough for my personal use.
                    If this wasnt a coffee forum, TG, the drug squad would be very inerested in your post. Although personal use is legitimate in some states at least.

Comment

[ch9556][ch9559][ch9556][ch9552][ch9574][ch9559]
                      [ch9553][ch9562][ch9571][ch9553][ch9553][ch9562][ch9559]
                      [ch9562][ch9552][ch9577][ch9552][ch9577][ch9552][ch9565]

Good one mate!

Comment

I must admit Ive been keeping my eyes open for a deal on a small commercial roaster for some time now. So far none have fallen into my lap.

I regularly do up 3kg roasts for my big CP batches on top of my regular espresso roasts which usually tend to run about 1kg every 4 or 5 days. I love my Gothot for my espresso roasts as it allows me to always have several varieties on hand, but its a bit of a pain for the big 3kg CP roasts.

Java "One of these days!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Im with you Michelle, I "had" to purchase a second roaster to keep up the supply of about 1.5kg a week, I supply to family and friends. A 2kg roaster would be perfect!

I usually do 1 blend (2 x 250g) and 1 So (1 x 250g) for my family per week, and then get a little crazy and experiment on the blends for others.

Speaking of "Doing a Denis" 8-), I happened upon this very post by researching the type or roaster Denis recently purchased, you certainly have sparked some interest there mate!

Happy Sipping!

Comment

I generally roast about 500-600 gms per week in the popper for home use (at about 100 gms a batch).

At the moment Im trying to do as much as I can for Christmas (luckily a nice cool weekend and not much else on enabled me to get over double that done - pantry full of wonderful aroma and expanding one-way-valve bags). But at 100 gms a batch, Im going hard at it (sigh :-/ I remember when I had a life).

My new years res will be to get a Corretto going!

(Looking at my dwindling green bean supply, end of January Bean Bay looks a long way off.)

Greg

Comment

I regularly get through about one kilo of roasted beans in a week. So two 600 gram batches of grean beans = 1000 grams of roasted beans +/- 10 grams - - - perfect!

-A-

Comment

Working...
                              X