Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing FC & SC on a Corretto

Hello CSs,
    I have recently converted from a popper to using a Corretto. With the popper I was able to hear FC & SC no problem. With the Corretto, I have just finished my 3rd roast and havent been able to hear any cracks whatever. I ended up using the temperatures I recorded using the popper to guide me in when to stop the roast on the Corretto. It seems that the BM and the HG output too much noise and cover up the cracks.

I guess what Im asking, is that if anyone else has this problem, is there any sort of solution that people have implemented.

Thanks.

Re: Hearing FC & SC on a Corretto

Hi there
    Welcome to the world of the corretto.
    Hearing FC and SC shouldnt be an issue but if you are doing a small roast amount then the noise of the beans moving round the bowl can be noisy.

I tend to find that batchs of 250gm make the SC harder to hear although FC is always easy to establish. Doing a batch of 500 - 600gm makes the bean movement much quieter due to the volume of beans and both FC and SC are easily distiguishable.

I am sure some of the experts here will give you more tips for your roasting processes.

Mal

Comment

jacs,

with quantities from about 300 grams to 800+ grams both FC and CS are loud and clear with my Corretto....

They are easily heard above the movement of the beans and the sound from the heatgun....

The bowl on my BM is square and quite deep.... and this seems to focus the sound of the cracks.... FC is very loud indeed!!

Comment

Hey Jacs,

Had the same problem as you when switching from popper to corretto. Bolb is right about smaller roasts being harder to hear, larger ones (400 gm +) being a bit easier.

But after a little it got a bit easier and other senses have improved, while relying more on temperature.

I was talking to a commercial roaster the other week, he cant hear anything in his 15kg roaster, relies on feel and sight mainly.

Keep at it, it gets easier to get great results and I love doing 500 gm roasts in my BB250.

Comment

If you can get a hold of some Peru Grace Villa Estate and do a batch of 300g or more. This is a bean that really packs a punch with the noise volume at FC. If you cant hear this one then might I suggest a trip to the doctor to get your hearing checked. : I reckon my neighbours must think I own a fireworks factory when I roast this bean. ;D

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.
            I am currently only doing batches of about 200g so I guess thats what the problem is. This lasts me for almost a week. Keeps things fresh and lets me roast more often.  
            Maybe Ill try a bigger batch and just have to live with less roasting   or drink more coffee  :

Goodies, I do have a bag of Peru Grace Villa but havent tried it yet. Will do so on the next roast. Will make sure the neighbours lock up their dogs before I begin though.  ;D

Cheers all.

Comment

Hi jacs,

Im like you and have just set up a Corretto using a BB250.
              Ive also only done 3 roasts of 200g each, and did not have any trouble picking up FC but was not sure about SC. I thought I heard the first cracks of SC on all three roasts and stopped them at this point as this was as far as I wanted to go with all the beans. I was also monitoring the temp and this told me I was about there. I know I was right on at least one occassion as the beans were cracking in the cooling collander.
              The roasts were all of different beans, being Columbian Volcan Galeras, Kenya AA and a blend of Brazil, Kenya, Harrar & Sumatran.
              There is certainly a lot more noise present with a Corretto roaster than with a popper, what with bean noise,and fan noise from HG and cooling fan, but I was still able to hear FC relatively easily with SC a bit more difficult.
              I have some Peru Grace Villa Estate to try so look forward to a truly cracking experience by all accounts.
              I hope these observations are of some help.
              By the way, all the roasts have tasted great.

Alan.

Comment

Hi guys,

My hearing isnt too sharp at the best of times (many years working in noisy industrial environments) but I have found that SC is much easier to detect if I dont sit too close to the roaster while waiting for SC to start. The sharp "snaps" seem to be able to penetrate the noise bubble of the BM quite well and have never had any difficulty identifying it. And thats with roasts down to 200-300 grams as well...

Mal.

Comment

Our learned CSers above have covered it very well. I have only had one roast where I missed second crack, it was a very hard SHB African bean, but it tasted great so thats the main concern!!

Comment

I am similar to Mal with my hearing disability and one of the things I dreaded when I commenced roasting was being able to hear the cracks.

I have never had a problem with the Corretto, even with smaller batches like 100-150g. I think as JavaB says the sound tends to get concentrated and therefore amplified in the bowl.

The Gene however is a different story, hear first okay but really struggle to hear second. This is because of the enclosed beans.

I am surprised you cant hear the cracks jacs, it is not as though you dont know what it sounds like, so I would try a larger batch and see how that goes.

If you cant hear them then...

Comment

I have recently started roasting with my bowl completely covered, except for a small slit to allow chaff collection, so I to have been having trouble hearing the cracks. Also my experience has been that the slower that I take the roast, the less pronounced the cracks.
                      Monsooned Malabar is the one bean that almost always catches me by surprise with the size of the 1st crack.
                      Bruce

Comment

I roasted 600g of Peru Grace Villa in my BM yesterday and FC was very noticeable. SC was inaudible above the noise of the BM and HG, so I just stopped the roast when the colour looked right. On the other hand, last week I roasted some India Chikmagalur and both FC and SC were clearly audible.

Comment

Very interesting replies everyone, thanks very much.
                          I am now armed with a few variations of what I normally do, hopefully they will enable me to hear FC & SC a little easier. A larger batch size seems to be pretty much a consensus and one Ill definitly be trying. So am now looking forward to my next roasting session.

Rowdee, I was a little surprised that I couldnt hear any cracks myself, as in the popper, some of the beans I have roasted have had some really loud cracks.

I havent quite gotten to the 8-10 minute mark for FC temperatures as yet. Its been hitting about 200C in around 15 minutes which from what Ive read seems to be a bit slow. Just wondering if this might have an effect on the cracks? I just have to get used to where I need to place the HG in order to get the right temperature/time frame. Hopefully the next roast.

Cheers all.

Comment

I usually reach first crack at around 180-185C between 8-10mins, then slow it down and slowly ramp it up to 200C+ hopefully reaching 2nd crack around 5-6mins later, occasionally the roast gets away from me and second will come after 4 mins but they still taste great. Since using the DMM it has made monitoring my roasts so much easier.

Comment

As a follow up to my original query:

I just finished roasting 300gms of Peru Grace Villa. Wow! I certainly heard these babies. TG was spot on with these beans.

At least now I have a base from which to work 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X