Roast time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roast time

Its been a while since I posted. I have been using a pop corn popper for a year now, with 6" chimney and plastic top to deflect the chaff. I do 100gr at a time. My roast time always seems to be 5:45 to 6 min. Any longer than 6 min I get shiny beans. I can not hear the 2nd crack due to noise and hearing loss, so I look at the color. Here is a picture of my last roast.
    I have read that many people look to make the roast times longer than 6 min.
    My question is why? What would I gain with a longer roast time and what times would be preferable?

Re: Roast time

Originally posted by justintime link=1203819188/0#0 date=1203819186
    I have read that many people look to make the roast times longer than 6 min.
    My question is why? What would I gain with a longer roast time and what times would be preferable?
    Hi justintime,

Short roasts provide a very "bright" flavoured espresso where longer roasts give a smoother more intense flavour. This is especially important with the gap between FC and SC where the longer the period the more the flavours develop (and 6 minutes for that alone is not unusual)...

So if you like bright espresso then short roasts are fine... but if you prefer the sort of tastes that professional drum roasters get - then you need to extend the time. A popper will never produce the flavours of a drum roaster.... a Corretto comes pretty close... and, if you have good control over the heat, IMHO can be even better than the domestic drum roasters.....

In the end it comes down to the taste of what is in the cup..... and if you like what you are getting then there is no reason to change.

Comment

Good answer I would prefer a smoother flavor I am still experimenting. Im the only coffee drinker the house and in about  14 months I have tried about 14 different coffees. All with the popper.

This might be a dumb question but has anyone started with cold beans from the fridge? Does it make a difference?

If not I will modify my popper to extend the times.

Thank you

Comment

I dont think a cold start with beans from the fridge will help.
        You need to slow down the roast while the beans are cooking.

I did a lot of modification of my popper and managed to go from the 4:50 min of my first roast to 11:50 for one of my last ones. That included 3:20 between FC and SC.

I did not modify the heater or fan; all my mods were airflow related.

I have a Crazy Popper and the air intake (unmodified) is restricted.
        First major improvement was getting more ambient air into the popper.
        Next major improvement was finding out that the popper body retained a lot of heat, so I removed the top half of the popper to let all this retained heat escape.

Basically I was making the popper less efficient at retaining heat.

It didnt look pretty any more; It still had its custom made exhaust and racing flame decals but with the body half gone it became an ugly, but practical machine.

This satisfied me until I no longer had the patience for 100g roasts and moved on to a bowl and heat gun arrangement.

Comment

Funny that you answered, last night I came to to the same conclusion about air flow. I knocked out every other fin on the bottom to allow for more air. I then roasted 100gr, no help. Today I was going to remove the body showed as you. I was also contemplating separating the fan and heat element and adding some resistance in the heating wire to lower the wattage. I do have a heat gun and BM but with the pop corn popper I use the shoot and the chaff goes into the sink. With a bowl and gun It would be all over the house or I would have to move outside, also it would take up a lot more room. If the bottom of the popper was about 2x the diameter it would be just big enough to do a larger batch and not as efficient. Im working on another solution, although a 200gr batch would be about right, right now I get between 1 and 2 weeks per 100gr.

Comment

Ive separated the heating element and fan on my popper, and made both adjustable. I can produce any profile I like with this setup, and have so far done roasts of up to 17min duration.

Bill

Comment

What did you use to control the element, a variac ?

Comment

Originally posted by justintime link=1203819188/0#6 date=1203894340
                No, a high power light dimmer. I found a kit for a 2000W one on a UK website. Well they call it a kit, but it came fully assembled. Just needed to mount it in a project box. I can find you the link to the part if youre interested.

regards,
                Bill

Comment

No thanks, Im in the US 120V but I know what your talking about. I think I saw some 1200W at Wal-Mart. Thats what the popper is 1200W, which means just enough. I haven t seen anything bigger. However I havent looked.

Do you just adjust it and forget it or run it high then after 1st crack power down?

I just ordered some new coffee, as soon as it gets here Ill try it. Any suggestions on a program?

Panama Organic - Berlina
                  Nicaragua Organic Cinco de Junio - FT
                  Costa Rica Horqueta - UHG

thanks

Larry

Comment

Oh ok, so you’re in the US. Yeah, in the US people usually use a variac, as 110V dimmers of the required wattage are apparently pretty expensive.

I have a thermocouple mounted in the roasting chamber so I can read the temperature, so I adjust the heating power, and fan speed, throughout the roast to maintain the temperature profile I’m after.

For fan speed adjustment I use a ceiling fan speed controller running through a 30V AC transformer to the rectifier that’s mounted on the fan. This way you can have the fan speed up high during the initial stages of the roast to keep the beans moving, and then turn down the fan as the beans lose moisture, and after 1st crack, when the beans get lighter, so they don’t get blown out the top of the popper. Dont run it on the full 30V for very long though, as the fan wont take that sort of abuse for too long. The fan speed also has an affect on the roasting chamber temperature too so you need to turn down the heating element power at the same time to avoid the temperature rising too quickly.

I have no experience with those particular beans, however conventual wisdom suggests you want at least 8mins, but no more than 10mins, to the start of 1st crack, and at least another 4mins to end of roast after that, although 6mins may be better.

regards,
                    Bill

Comment

Im still looking for a bean that I really like so every time I reorder I just get whats on special if I havent tried them before.

Thanks very much for the advice, when I get the new beans I will try it.

Larry

Comment

I have only roasted Bali Gunung Agung so far. I roast in a popper about 100 gms each time. I wait ntil well ito the SC before I switch off.

The roasted coffee tastes ok from a plunger if I use enough however there is little taste from an espresso grind and there is no crema.

Will a longer roast fix this or should I try a diffrent coffee, eg., from the introductory offer green beans

John

Comment

John,

Bali Gunung produce quite good crema when roasted to just on rolling 2nd.

Also, you didnt mention how long you waited in this case, but you really need to wait about 48 hours from roasting to drinking to start getting the best from the beans.

I think you should roast the same beans and pull the roast just as 2nd crack starts. Certainly do not go longer than your last roast. If you go further than well into 2nd crack youll end up with a very dark, oily and carbon tasting roast.

Comment

Thanks mate

I left plenty of ime between roast and taste.

The beans were oily so I wil;l pull them just on second crack next time.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Bill link=1203819188/0#7 date=1203898647
                              Originally posted by justintime link=1203819188/0#6 date=1203894340
                              No, a high power light dimmer. I found a kit for a 2000W one on a UK website. Well they call it a kit, but it came fully assembled. Just needed to mount it in a project box. I can find you the link to the part if youre interested.

regards,
                              Bill
                              Bill: I finally found something to use to adjust the heat in my popper. Its called a router speed controller. Its basically a 1500w motor speed controller. Next batch I will try varying the roast time.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X