Hottop vs Gene Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hottop vs Gene Cafe

Hi I am new, but learning fast through old posts and threads!

Hottop vs Gene Cafe

Whats your opinions?

Re: Hottop vs Gene Cafe

thatll buy a HG/BM and a lot of green...

Comment

Unless youve got heaps of spare $$$$ I would go for a Corretto setup, it wont cost much and is a brilliant roasting system, especially using the DMM datalogger to monitor temperatures. Scores of CSers swear by them.................

Comment

Interesting question Kasa, I had exactly that question so I acquired a Gene and JavaB and I did some comparisons. Unfortunately were still in the process of doing some more tests to determine what factors are due to profile and what are due to process so I cant give you an answer yet, but its been an interesting experiment. I certainly have an opinion but I wont say anything about it until Im certain.

Greg

Comment

I bought the Gene because of batch size, it is all contained, I can move it easily and price.

Comment

The Corretto setup just seems like alot of work... and alot of room... not sure whether thats right for me.

Greg - I will be looking forward to your results...

Comment

The Corretto is probably no larger than either the GC or the HT, just depends on the size of your breadmaker. More work, well youre probably right there but its only a matter of doing it once if you pick your equipment well. Certainly the GC and HT are prettier and more integrated but then you pay a lot more for them too and, in all honesty, the results from either arent significantly improved over a Corretto (in fact in some cases, perhaps surprisingly, the Corretto roasts tasted better but perhaps thats just because that particular roast lent itself more to a fluid bed roast). I think the corretto has to be the best bang-for-buck solution if you can handle it not being quite as pretty an appliance!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1204864186/0#6 date=1205378868
                the Corretto roasts tasted better but perhaps thats just because that particular roast lent itself more to a fluid bed roast). I think the corretto has to be the best bang-for-buck solution if you can handle it not being quite as pretty an appliance!
                The Corretto isnt actually a Fluid Bed Roaster, sure it uses hot air from a Heat Gun but the beans arent suspended on a bed of hot air as such. A Popcorn Popper IS a Fluid Bed Roaster though.

If anything, the results from a Corretto more closely resemble those from a small commercial roaster than anything else Ive tried and is probably just as adjustable, maybe even more so..... And there is a lot of knowledge accumulating from the experiences of many members now so it it is nowhere as pioneering an adventure as it once was, still very enjoyable though. Also, there are several examples of members who have assembled very compact and purposeful designs of the Corretto, a search through the Forum will reveal them.

In all honesty, if I was going to "step up" to a roasting method that could be considered superior to the Corretto, it would be to a 2Kg Commercial Roaster that I would enhance with the addition of certain programmable features .

Cheers,
                Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kasa link=1204864186/0#0 date=1204864186
                  Hi I am new, but learning fast through old posts and threads!

Hottop vs Gene Cafe

Whats your opinions?
                  Randy G, has 7 or 8 different roasters, including the gene cafe and yes he does do some work for hottop (he wrote their manual) but he is also an honest guy and I believe the advice he gave me when I was in your position was acurate.

Hottop B model ! ...but of course thats just my green opinion.

Enjoy its all good anyway.

CB

Comment

Greg and I, having recently participated in a Gene vs Hottop D shoot out.....

IMHO Id have to agree with Mals comment above..... Straight out of the box for both machines..... Id rate the results from the Corretto (correctly used) better than either!

But if that isnt an option.... then its much of a muchness.... the Gene seemed better on some roasts and has a degree of manual adjustment where the Hottop - being better with some bean varieties.... lacks manual adjustment..... just adjustable roast time with a fixed ramp on the D version.... The B model has some adjustment but this is on environmental temperature.... not bean temperature so isnt nearly as effective as it should be (equal to the Gene on that).

However if you are willing to mod the HT (fit bean mass temperature probe, manually control the heater power you can get roasts from the HT which are as good as.... maybe marginally better..... than the Corretto. But with all these modifications..... you have something as "messy" as a Corretto..... and a LOT more expensive!

If the intent is to use the roaster straight out of the box..... and that is all you ever intend to do..... then there is little between them. As I said, some beans are better with one roaster or the other.... but otherwise pretty equal...

So it would really come down to cost..... and Ill let you decide on that!

Comment

Nicely explained there JB 8-),

Mal.

Comment

Just set up my new Hottop 8828B roaster last night. Did two batches, one light roast (just before SC), one medium/dark (just into SC). This machine is brilliant. Totally controllable, heating profile, fan and time. While displayed temperature is environment temperature and not bean temperature, I roasted manually by sight, sound and smell and I stopped the roast on a dime and the beans are out and cooled in a few minutes. Fan can be used to control degree of smoke extraction. After seeing the GC operating and now using the HT, Im happy I paid the extra. I also feel the radiant heating may be better than the GCs convection heating even though I will need to gain more experience before any real conclusions.

Comment

Scoot has a gene cafe at home but Ive never seen it in action. they do the same job just different brands. how well they do the job makes the difference

Comment

I recently purchased a Hottop D model from the hardware section here on CS and after only doing a few roasts I have to say Im so happy with the machine, especially after doing a few popper roasts I LOVE the way the Hottop handles the chaff...

no mess, no fuss, just an even roast

so far so good
                            Ian

Comment

Javanation what is your hottop like?

Comment

Working...
                              X