Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supply & Demand... I just cant get it right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply & Demand... I just cant get it right.

Im all out of roasted beans agaaaaain!!! How could this happen I ask myself over.  Each time I roast, I try to roast again a few days later,.. but for whatever reason, life gets in the way and I find myself running out completely again aargh!! So no coffee for me today and my CM sits idol.  Thank goodness for Dennis of cuppacoffee.. his generous bean offer should arrive here tomorrow and I cant wait.

Its clear,.to keep up with my demand (usually just two doubles per day, up to 3 doubles with fly-by coffee consumers), I need to roast bigger batches but I havent set myself up fully for that yet and Im still currently roasting in the popper.  The batch sizes are frustratingly limited as you know, but today I was determined to get a bigger roast stockpile happening in the cupboard.  I started my first roast at about 9am and it took hours to roast 7 x 100g batches because I wanted to allow the popper to cool right down in between roasts to avoid melting it.

Im hot,. tired, have smoke filled eyes, chaff filled hair and reak of coffee bean smoke, but very proud of myself as I look at the roasts on the bench, so just had to show you a pic of my babies   .

Now all I have to do is rest them for a week aaaaaaargh,...Dennis beans wont last me that long.... Im gunna run out agaaaaaaaaaain!!!! > :  Oh poop!
    [img]www.studioheath.com/images/bits/roast700g.jpg[/img]

Re: Supply & Demand... I just cant get it right.

Hi Remy

Those beans look good - though not so sure its a good idea keeping them in those bags.  Then again, at the rate youre going through coffee it might not matter.

Suggest you buy up big at the next beanbay.  They wont have a chance to go stale!

Also, dont be shy to try your roasts without resting - theyll certainly spray through your grinder but am sure will make a more than acceptable cuppa.  Its gotta be better than depriving yourself of caffeine!

Comment

Hi Remy
      As Dennis says, try them early if you have nothing you consider normally ready for drinking.
      I generally do 2 batches of 500gm per week but if i find i have had a few blowins then occasionally i find i tuck into a fresh batch only 48hours old or even less.
      Its certainly not the end of the world and gives you an appreciation of how the beans change over time.

Mal

Comment

Coffee deprivation is a crime Remy, freshly roasted beans are acceptable if the situation is desperate. I did a roast yesterday and tried it after 24 hours and it was great I hope it keeps improving over the next few days.
        You are going to have to get that roaster finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Hi Remy some beans do well with little rest, but if they taste funny just give them longer .I have found it is hard to keep up with my shrek popper even if I roast 160gms in it.So I upgraded and built a H/G pot roaster with a little 12v motor on the bottom of it. Now it works a treat but took a bit of fiddling with things to get it right.So far I get 500gms of beans, taking it easy with heatgun roasted in 20 min .

Comment

Originally posted by cuppacoffee link=1205130326/0#1 date=1205131611
            Hi Remy

Those beans look good - though not so sure its a good idea keeping them in those bags.  Then again, at the rate youre going through coffee it might not matter.

Suggest you buy up big at the next beanbay.  They wont have a chance to go stale!

Also, dont be shy to try your roasts without resting - theyll certainly spray through your grinder but am sure will make a more than acceptable cuppa.  Its gotta be better than depriving yourself of caffeine!  
            Yeah,. Im only using these bags simply because they are my next best option until I get me some valve bags. Im kickin myself because I was wanting to get some valve bags for weeks before the Feb Beanbay but thought Id wait and buy them at the same time I did my Beanbay buy-up,... but in all the excitement.. I totally forgot the bags grrr.  Im waiting again until I want to purchase something else,. where these bags are also sold.

Ive almost finished my green started pack,.. got about 120g of beans left, and so I did buy up big in the Feb Beanbay,...like 10kg big  ... and I hope to collect them this week sometime.  Ill have to hide these some place in the house you understand because hubby will think I have totally lost the plot and send me away to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and Ill be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and... erm...where was I??..

Re using beans before resting a good while,.. unfortunately I think I have used up pretty much all of my starter pack beans well before they have reached their best,..and Im trying to be good and leave these alone this time. Ive satisfied my caffeine addiction nicely by drinking coke today burp scuse moi,....oh wait..no I do have an annoying headache now that I think about it,.darn!!! coke doesnt work....all this gas for nuthin. Anyway.. tomorrow Ill be chewin the ankle off the postman to get my beans from you and I should be right for a few days,.. after that...Ill break into todays roasts no doubt.  I could stretch your beans out a bit by pretending not to be home when my neighbor drops in for coffee... [smiley=evil.gif]..theyre minnnne..allll miiinnne!!!!

Comment

I forgot the bags too on my first trip to Coffee Parts.
              I must have got distracted by everything else in there.

Comment

Originally posted by bolb link=1205130326/0#2 date=1205133683
                Hi Remy
                As Dennis says, try them early if you have nothing you consider normally ready for drinking.
                I generally do 2 batches of 500gm per week but if i find i have had a few blowins then occasionally i find i tuck into a fresh batch only 48hours old or even less.
                Its certainly not the end of the world and gives you an appreciation of how the beans change over time.
                Mal
                Hi Mal,.. you guys are a bad influence ... giving me the ok to go ahead and drink them early and all if Im desperate. I need to be encourage to leave em alone otherwise Ill never get to taste roasts that have reached their best. :

I think this could be resolved if I can just figure out how much to roast each roasting session and how often, to satisfy my consumption demands per week.

How many doubles would you estimate you get from 500g? Ive tried to work out how many doubles I get from each bag of approx 100g and I keep losing count :. It should be 5 x 20g (in a sunbeam dbl basket), but Im thinking it is less..say 4 doubles plus waste. So two days worth of coffee (or less if I have a few blowins -love that),.. hmmmm no wonder I keep running out all the time. So if my calculations are not too far off,. then 500g should last me about 10 days if I keep the doors locked and curtains drawn .

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1205130326/0#3 date=1205136778
                  Coffee deprivation is a crime Remy, freshly roasted beans are acceptable if the situation is desperate. I did a roast yesterday and tried it after 24 hours and it was great I hope it keeps improving over the next few days.
                  You are going to have to get that roaster finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
                  I know,. when I woke this morning and remembered the extra coffee I made yesterday afternoon when my neighbor popped in again for a chat phrrrrt! coffee,.. was my last beans and if not for the chat... I would have had a nice coffee this morning..... I was shattered > . If Dennis beans dont arrive by tomorrow afternoon,.. desperation will fester quickly and Ill have to go for a 24hr post roast shot.

Re my roaster... I think this week might be a good week to get going on it again. I actually carried a BBQ rotisserie around a store yesterday for a while :,.. but dumped it after it got annoying to carry and I had a lot more walking round to do (also because I had a sudden thought that the speed of the BBQ rotisserie might not be suitable and I need to check this first). Plan to pick one up this week if speed checks out, same store but on this side of town.

I was lucky to receive a drum attachment from CoffeePrince in PIF and will use this also because the centre section is perfect,. has baffles already etc, but the ends are gal steel and by the looks of it,.. the removable end would be quite hard to get off when trying to remove the beans fast, since its even a bit fiddly when its cold. CoffeePrince said something about burning arms and I want to avoid having to hug the thing between my knees to pull off the end *snort*. My plan is to just whack the centre section between my colanders, which will make a larger roaster by default,. but also allow the beans to be poured out quickly from the hole I cut.... I love that hole and I wanna use it hee hee.

Comment

Originally posted by martybean link=1205130326/0#4 date=1205137017
                    Hi Remy some beans do well with little rest, but if they taste funny just give them longer .I have found it is hard to keep up with my shrek popper even if I roast 160gms in it.So I upgraded and built a H/G pot roaster with a little 12v motor on the bottom  of it. Now  it works a treat but took a bit of fiddling with things to get it right.So far I get 500gms of beans, taking it easy with heatgun roasted in 20 min .
                    Wow your roaster sounds great. Have you posted a pic of it here anywhere? Im just trying to picture how the rotation of beans is achieved. 500g of beans at a time would be perfect!! and it certainly would be nice to achieve a roast that takes longer to reach CS 10-11 than 5-6mins, with only about a minute between FC & SC. Ive even had FC run into SC with one roast I did a few weeks ago.

Comment

I started down the same path Remy and got myself a winscreen wiper motor cheaply off that Bay of Evils site.
                      Local wreckers wanted waaay too much.

I had a few old AC adapters around and found one with enough oomph as well as the volts to get the motor going.
                      The project didnt go any further thoughas I was given a Breadmaker in PIF.

The BM is slowly going back together.
                      This week I confirmed my bypass swith wiring works.
                      This weekend is my daughters engagement party so unless I can piece it back together by Friday night it ill have to wait a few more days.

I pictured the wiper motor driving a stirring arm through the bottom of a SS bowl with my Heatgun mounted above.

Comment

I checked out the windscreen wiper motor route before starting my roaster project. I found a couple of them on the bay of not so good,. but they were fetching quite high prices at the time,.. maybe home coffee roasters and home fairy floss spinners : are competing for them. I was put off by how ugly they were anyway ;D,.. I know,....but I got a mental image of myself building something attractive to house it in so I dont have to look at it and it all seemed like too much work.

Your BM project sounds like its coming along nicely. I have a BM and I seriously eyed it off the other day,.. but because I would still like to use it as a BM I was not keen to risk using it in case I melted the plastic/rubber thing that sits at the base of the paddle.

All the best with your daughters engagement party!!!

Comment

Well I lasted til 9:30am this morning before I broke into yesterdays roasts  : . I tried hard to stave off the coffee craving until Dennis roasted beans arrive today,..and I even had a cup of tea at 7am and another at 8:30 to try and get the caffeine hit I need to begin my day. But by the time I walked back in the door this morning (20mins ago) I was unable to stop myself pulling out yesterdays roasts to choose one that might give the best 24hr post roast taste.  

Using my very scientific approach to selecting which roast,.. I gave each bag a gentle and loving squeeze (erm perhaps that sounds a little coffee obsessed) and the aroma burst out through the pin holes I put in the bags for the de-gas process,. and allowed me to guess which roast would be best. And the winner was,.... CS Blend.  PNG Peabury (one of my faves) had an underlying wet sock smell to it, so nope dont go there. Mexico Veracruz (my absolute fave)smelled awesome and a possibility but being my current favourite bean (have only roasted 4 SO so far) I am not wasting any of what I have left. Honduras Marcala smelled great too,.. just as good as the CS Blend but I chose CS Blend because I figured being a blend..there is bound to be a least one bean type in there that would be ok 24hrs post roast.

Verdict; Awesome! and you are right,.. I think this coffee was still far better than most coffees Ive bought in cafes. The flavour was there, though somewhat different.. not as strong or something,..nevertheless I enjoyed it immensely.

I had no coffee at all yesterday and I suspect Ive got a withdrawal headache :  got it yesterday afternoon and woke with it this morning. So using another scientific approach  :...to determine if this is in fact a caffeine withdrawal headache,..Im going to make myself another double now to see if the headache lifts. Oh the things we do for science.

Comment

Whoooooot!!!! Dennis beans just arrived 10:25am. I was just about to pour in more 24hr post roast beans into the hopper when I heard the parcel van pull up out front. Now I can have a real treat. Aaaar the planets have realigned!!

Comment

Hope you enjoy them Remy!

Comment

Working...
                              X