1st time BBQ Rotisserie Barrel Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time BBQ Rotisserie Barrel Roast

A few moments ago I finished my first ever BBQ rostisserie barrel roast.

There are a few things that need sorting out with this to get it right,.but today I really just needed to get a roast done to keep supplies up and did not want to waste time fiddling with it any more than to make it work well enough.
    [img]www.studioheath.com/images/bits/barrelroaster1st.jpg[/img]
    I put the lid down during the roast (propped up the height of a small SS frypan because the clearance notches on the lid did not match up with the rotisserie rod)and the temperature gauge showed a steady climb.  It worked well having it propped and I certainly wasnt having trouble getting heat. I could use the gap to listen and kinda see whats going on in the barrel.

I have no clue (because I havent spent the time reading posts here on the subject yet) about ideal roasting profiles, but here is the roast profile of this roast and the results.

Cool breazy day, 500g of Kenya A.
    After 5mins-200F / 6:30-250F / 9:30-275F / 10:20-300F / 11:30-325F /15:00-350F
    FC-15:30,....SC-approx 18:00?? and pulled.

Im not sure what happened towards the end. I pulled because I could see smoke. I thought I was still hearing FC and was shocked to see so much smoke.  Thought I had ruined the entire roast,..especially since getting the beans free from this hot contraption was no mean feat and took some time unfortunately.

The roast was not very even and I picked out about 1/3 cup of very dark beans and tossed. Here is whats left. Not bad,.. some chaff still on some small beans,..mmmm yummy ...NOT!
    Flash used to take pic,. they are not glossy in real life,.no oil spots on any beans but a few have a sheen to them already.. I think they might develop oil spots over the next few days. They are a mix of mostly between CS 7 to 10,..with maybe a spinkle either side of this
    [img]www.studioheath.com/images/bits/barrelroastbeans1st.jpg[/img]

I dont think I will try this again with the barrel the way it is now. I will have to fix up one end with a hole to pour the beans out quickly (and really see what is going on with the beans) and not risk burning myself again. Ill also find an ideal roast profile that I could try and follow for the next attempt. I think it will be relatively easy to adjust the temp on this BBQ by lifting lid and playing with dials to reach desired temps.

Whoot! and best of all....I have just done my first BiG roast in one batch!!!  ;D

Re: 1st time BBQ Rotisserie Barrel Roast

Whoo-hoo Remy, congrats on first barbyroast. Bit patchy but heh its all upwards from here, once you get accustomed to how the setup behaves youll be turning out top roasts in no time!!
    You might have to put a glass viewing window in your bbq lid so that you can view whats happening inside!!!

Comment

Thanks Greenman,. yeah Ive already thought of a few ways to improve things and hopefully with these,.the roasts will be much more even. I reckon if I have a bean pour hole at one end of the barrel,. that will be a good spy hole. The BBQ lid is up enough that I can peek in while sitting relaxing to the sweet sound of roasting beans..oh got carried away there for a minute...,I might need a torch to get a better view right inside the barrel but hey... I can do that .

Comment

Hi Remy

Generally speaking, you need to get your roast up to about 195C for FC, then around 215C for 2nd. The ramp up to FC needs to be steeper than the attached pic (your roast profile) and then a slow but consistent ramp to 2nd crack temp - I dont think you quite got there going only by the temps, though they certainly look roasted, and the variation of roast depth might surprise!

Hope that helps.

EDIT: On 2nd thought it might just be that the BBQ thermometer is whacked!

Comment

Oh wow thanks heaps Dennis,.. going by that...maybe the BBQ thermometer is whacked,..certainly makes me wonder.  I recorded in Fahrenheit only because it was easier to read on the thermometer.

I only had two of the four burners on during that roast,.. so I have plenty of up temp if I need it.

What times should I try to aim for,  to get 195c FC and  215c SC?

Comment

Im totally out of my depth in regard to bbq roasters, so maybe someone else could pitch in here.

Comment

Generally FC at 10 minutes and SC at 16 should be a good starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1206590518/0#6 date=1206620292
                Generally FC at 10 minutes and SC at 16 should be a good starting point.
                Great thanks TG,.. I think I could get reasonably close to that. Will try with three burners on next time to ramp up the temp quicker,.. then turn it off as soon as I hear FC (and/or turn other two down and lift lid a bit after FC) so the the climb to SC temp isnt so rapid.  That might work better. At least I have something to aim for now,. thanks. I never worried about temps (or times for that matter) with the popper since the popper wasnt midified and there was nothing I could do about them anyway,..so this is all new for me, watchin temps and times.

Comment

Nice one Remy,

Not experienced with BBQ roasters but will just add that "relatively speaking" the Kenya A is a harder bean to roast than many others.

It is smaller and more dense, therefore harder to heat right through, so its a little trickier to get a really even roast.

But all up a pretty good first effort.

Comment

Originally posted by reubster link=1206590518/0#8 date=1206669339
                    Nice one Remy,

Not experienced with BBQ roasters but will just add that "relatively speaking" the Kenya A is a harder bean to roast than many others.

It is smaller and more dense, therefore harder to heat right through,  so its a little trickier  to get a really even roast.

But all up a pretty good first effort.
                    Thanks Reubster, good to know about the Kenya A. When I was choosing the bean for this roast,.. for some stupid reason I thought that I had roasted Kenya A before *smack* and so why I selected this one, thinking it would be the best choice for first BBQ roast. Well... dar... AFTER the roast..when I was looking at beans, I was shocked by how tiny they were,... and suddenly thought...I must not have roasted these before because I dont remember ever roasting such tiny beans. I realised it was Kenya AA,..and Andy roasted them whaahaahahaha. I am such a doofus!

But anyway,.. now that you pointed out how dense they are and a little tricky to roast,.. I have even higher hopes that I can achieve decent roasts with the BBQ barrel. Very exciting,.. I almost wish I was running out of roasted beans again.. so that I can have another crack at it with a different bean. Gotta get the barrel sorted out first though anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X