Temperature measuring device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature measuring device

What brand is the better one to get and where can I get it is Australia. I am setting up to try roasting but unfortunately havent a clue about Thermocouples or whatever they are called. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Temperature measuring device

Gday Stan,

Andy actually sells a unit that most CSers use, although it looks like hes out of stock at the moment. Heres the link to the unit in question in the BeanBay pages...... http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/Vi...ct.aspx?ID=162

Cheers mate,
    Mal.

Comment

I saw that and it has been out of stock for some months. I was thinking there were not going to be any more offerings. At the price quoted it would be worthwhile. I priced the only one I could find locally at $99.00. The one listed in Andys shop was a lot cheaper.

Comment

Hmmm,

Could have sworn I saw a few in there a month or so ago :-?..... Anyway mate, Im sure Andy will restock as soon as some more become available and the added advantage of going with this particular unit, is that Andy has written a dedicated thermo-logging application for it that you can download for free, so it really is worth waiting a little while.

Cheers Stan,
        Mal.

Comment

Hi Stan
          The same units are available for a similar price in electronics stores here in Melbourne, so keep looking and you should find one somewhere.

Mal

Comment

I will keep an eye out - I would prefer to buy something that has been tried and tested by Snobs.

Previous dealings with Andy have been excellent as far as service and quality. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Comment

Thanks for the info bolb but I am a few thousand Kilometers north of Melbourne and am unlikely to travel to Melbourne in the next year or two.

Comment

Yeah i realise that stan but if they have them in Melbourne then they will probably be available at other places.
                The local place here is called Jaycar which is basically an electronics component store.

Mal

Comment

Google is wonderful - they have a store in Cairns. Thanks for that. I will learn to live with technology one day. :

Comment

I think you will find they are now obsolete and Jaycar are no longer selling them....

If you search their catalogue you wont find them (or any other model with an RS232 port either)..... They had them half price about a month ago - I assume to dispose of the remaining stock (and they were removed from their catalogue at that time also)......

Might have to source a different type

Comment

I will wait a while and see if Andy gets some more.

Thanks all

Comment

Google sure is Stan.
                        I call it the Bible, it either gives an answer reasonably easily or points me in the right direction and in my line of IT work i use it all th time.

Mal

Comment

I fried my poor thermoprobe (on my QM 1538 I had got from Andy) yesterday - basically from abuse (sticking where I shouldnt, etc). Was in the middle of roasting 500gm of Yemen Ismail, was unable to get any temp readings (even quickly changed batteries) and had to finish it by sight and sound. After getting to FC in 9 mins I eased the heat gun back (but not too much as I didnt want to stall the roast). Hit SC at 13 mins and pulled about 15 secs into rolling SC.

Anyway, I would be lost without my DMM (and its useless without a thermoprobe) so raced in to the nearest Jaycar today, only to be told the QM1538 has been discontinued and so has that type of thermoprobe - no others would fit! So I had to get a new multi meter (Digitech QM1320 - $25) PLUS the appropriate thermoprobe ($10). The 1320 doesnt have RS 232 capability, but thats OK- I wasnt using that anyway.

Havent tried it out yet, but Ill try and be a bit gentler with the thermoprobe.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1209192311/0#9 date=1209196360
                            I think you will find they are now obsolete and Jaycar are no longer selling them....
                            Hmmm, thats bad news......

Pretty sure theyre still available overseas though so maybe its just a case that Jaycar dont want to import them anymore. Will have to see what turns up I guess..... Another retailer who also used to sell them was a mob called Procon Technology so if all else fails, maybe you could give them a call :-?.

Mal.

Comment

I picked up a digi-sense (used) on ebay for $25. Works great. Came with 3 probes. Drilling the holes in the breadman was a little tricky.

Comment

Working...
                              X