First Monsoon Malabar roasts :[

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Monsoon Malabar roasts :[

I did my first Monsoon Malabar AA roasts today and afterwards felt a little defeated.

First thing I noticed about this bean when I weighed out 600g was the sheer volume . I looked twice at the scales and thought naaar that cant be right. So while they werent really any bigger than the Nicaragua HGB I roasted last Saturday,.. they obviously must be a much lighter bean,.. and now that I think of it,.the 2.5kg calico bag is much larger than the rest.

So,.. I set out to roast two batches of 300g in the BBQ Barrel Rotisserie Roaster.

Batch one:
    Started out fine,..though FC was a little early again at 9:30..or so I thought it was because within a few more minutes of what I thought was a rolling FC,.smoke started and intensified very quickly. I thought I could hear loud FCs and SC snaps altogether... it was so confusing.. I was expecting a quiet period and then SC but the smoke was a good sign that things had gotten outta hand. I totally lost it with this roast.

I fought with the barrel to get it off the hot rotisserie rod and then prize open the lid *sigh* with lots of smoke and obviously still roasting for all the time it took me to release the beans.

This roast was reasonably dark overall,.blew holes out of some of the beans > . Cooled off and tossed out about 1/8cup of very dark beans. I think the beans in this batch will go a bit oily as about half of them already have a sheen on them. Id say this roast was CS9-10

Batch two:
    FC was the same time as first,.. and then I lifted the BBQ lid at this point this time hoping to slow things down between cracks. Smoke started again soon after and I didnt want to repeat what happened in the first roast so I panicked and pulled them......too early :. Quickly dumped them into a heavy pan and continued the roast on the BBQ in that. What a stuffup.

This roast looked much better than the first, more even,.. threw out about 7 or 8 completely burnt through beans.. the rest were fine, which was weird and at about CS8.

Blended both batches together.

What I learned.
    1. This is a wicked bean to roast and/or I am a total noob (zomg..Im sounding like my kids ).

2. I really do have to find a better way to roast. Love the size I can roast in the barrel,.. but what good is that when I cannot see the beans during the roast and I cannot get them out quickly. Thinking I might have to join the Corretto club. 8-)

Re: First Monsoon Malabar roasts :[

Hi Remy
    give the corretto a go, definitely a simple way of being able to view the roast and easily hear FC & SC.
    I have refined the way I roast in the corretto about 3 times now and will do so again once i have an old laptop setup to do my roast profiling on. Todate have done some but am now just doing a roast via temp view and adjusting the temp and height of HG to try and get a consistant outcome.
    Did 4 x 600gm batches of Decaf today and they all turned out pretty similar so hopefully the next stage of profiling will just refine this.

If wasnt able to see the beans durig a roast i would hate to see how they would turn out, i am sure they would run from FC to SC and charcoal very quickly.

Mal

Comment

The MM was a tricky one for me too first time; the lightness was a factor.
      That was in the days of my popper but it was the first time the thermal cutout activated.
      I dropped the batch size to 80g for the next one.
      No problems then.

Ive attached a shot of my spreadsheet.
      Youll see I made a comment about an uneven roast as well.

The first 4 roasts were in the popper; you can see the mods increased the times.
      The next two are HG/bowl roasts.
      The last one was only my 3rd corretto roast; times not as good as the last bowl one.

bolb beat me to it but I agree you should go for a corretto.
      I dont watch the roasts as much now because Ive done enough roasts to know when to become more vigilant.
      I can spend my time now recording times and monitoring the temperature to make sure the roast is on track.
      When FC is due I look and listen harder (deaf in one ear remember).
      When SC is due I do the same....and concentrate then until ready to end the roast.

Comment

Hey Remy,

A tricky bean to roast, the Monsooned Malabar. When I picked mine up from Dennis, he said something like "Take it gently with those beans", and I did :. Very gentle, controlled ramp to FC and then pull way back for a very slow crawl up to or just short of SC.

With your BBQ roaster, it may be hard to do this (?). Can you keep the gas turned down lower? Lift the barrel higher up off the BBQ? Do you have a fan blowing on your roaster - possibly slow down the heat build-up?

And are you using a multi meter to monitor temperature? Essential for me (except when my thermoprobe claps out from too much abuse- eg being bent, melted, yanked :-[).

An advantage of the Corretto system is the ability to control the speed of the roast. But youve come a fair way with your set-up, stick with it. Try to go slower with the MM - its a great bean when roasted right.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by bolb link=1209206891/0#1 date=1209207551
          Hi Remy
          give the corretto a go, definitely a simple way of being able to view the roast and easily hear FC & SC.
          I have refined the way I roast in the corretto about 3 times now and will do so again once i have an old laptop setup to do my roast profiling on. Todate have done some but am now just doing a roast via temp view and adjusting the temp and height of HG to try and get a consistant outcome.
          Did 4 x 600gm batches of Decaf today and they all turned out pretty similar so hopefully the next stage of profiling will just refine this.

If wasnt able to see the beans durig a roast i would hate to see how they would turn out, i am sure they would run from FC to SC and charcoal very quickly.

Mal
          Yeah....Ive been flippin back and forth between BBQ barrel (for the quantity) and the popper (because I can see what is happening to the beans). The popper has its usual problems and would require mods to get any reasonable roasts from it as we know,.. but,. so does the BBQ barrel setup, it has its own set of problems that would require mods, not just to the barrel itself,.. to try and get some visual and quick dump of the beans, but the last two roasts,..I found a few more things that could do with mods,..like the rotisserie rod and motor kit does not fit well on my BBQ,.and I would have to fashion some taller/better brackets to fit it properly,...anyone got some spare metal and a nibbler,lol. I dunno.. certainly seems like it would be easier to corretto it at this point....... I am researching my options and did a little internet shopping last night actually .

Comment

TG... hmmm..yep think Im convinced..looks like the corretto is a better way yot go.... but of course you knew that already right  :. Love your roasting notes... do you just enter that in say excel or a special program?

Comment

Hi Remy
              The old internet, what would we do without it?

I think the corretto is definitely cost effective my costs to date have been <$220 and could have been <$150 but i figured i needed a spare BM in case the BM currently in use broke down. Given i was buying roasted beans at $13/KG from a professional roaster, i have still got my money back within one year, it would be much quicker on the pricing of fresh roasted beans from retail outlets.

All i have purchased are, spare BM, Clamps, sieves for cooling and was fortunate to receive the following as presents from family, Air blower, HG. I already had the original BM and a home brew bottle capper to use as the HG stand.

The only mod to the BM is the drilling of holes through the case and bread pan for the heat probe. Oh and the use of a piece of wood over the pan to help keep the heat in which in turn lets me drop the heat of the HG right back so it may very well last longer than being on full all of the time.

Thanks to the suggestions of other CSers here i have refined my technique rather than the actual equipment.

Mal

Comment

Remy,

Just to add to the weight of argument for the Corretto....

It can produce quite large batches...
                You have fantastic control over the roast....
                It is easy to see what is happening and to hear the cracks....

AND

It produces roasts which are definitely on par with the Gene and Hottop at a fraction of the cost!!!!! And I very much doubt any home made roaster could do any better (if as good).....

So whats holding you back?

Comment

Originally posted by Remy link=1209206891/0#5 date=1209289358
                  TG... hmmm..yep think Im convinced..looks like the corretto is a better way yot go.... but of course you knew that already right  :. Love your roasting notes... do you just enter that in say excel or a special program?
                  You have to find your own way back onto the right path grasshopper.

There are special programs out there but I found them too complicated for what Im noting so far.
                  So yes its MS Excel.
                  It has the advantage that I can add to it as needed and I know how it works.
                  I have one worksheet for the roasts (shown), another for my stash, a third for bean type descriptions and a fourth that is used for the dropdown lists.
                  If you want a copy just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by GregJW link=1209206891/0#3 date=1209212805
                    Hey Remy,

A tricky bean to roast, the Monsooned Malabar. When I picked mine up from Dennis, he said something like "Take it gently with those beans", and I did :. Very gentle, controlled ramp to FC and then pull way back for a very slow crawl up to or just short of SC.
                    OMG.. wish Id known this up front...I doubt I would have attempted them until I had resolved a few more issues with the BBQ barrel method.

With your BBQ roaster, it may be hard to do this (?). Can you keep the gas turned down lower? Lift the barrel higher up off the BBQ? Do you have a fan blowing on your roaster - possibly slow down the heat build-up?
                    Yes,.. I could reduce the heat easy enough,.. lifting the barrel could be done too.... with some metal sheeting and a nibbler *sigh*... the rotisserie brackets are waaaaay too small for the BBQ (or the holes on the BBQ for the rotisserie are too low  : ).

And are you using a multi meter to monitor temperature? Essential for me (except when my thermoprobe claps out from too much abuse- eg being bent, melted, yanked  :-[).
                    no,.. not yet.. I have been putting off the inevitable me thinks.

An advantage of the Corretto system is the ability to control the speed of the roast. But youve come a fair way with your set-up, stick with it. Try to go slower with the MM - its a great bean when roasted right.
                    Greg
                    aaargh...Im so undecided.

Comment

Mal... I reckon by the time I finish messing around with every other possible way to roast...then finally end up with the corretto.... erm...I might as well have bought a Gene or Hottop >. Im looking for simple, neat, no fuss but great roast setup. I am about to post another thread,... about my new roaster plan whaahaahah...(in the Roaster section of the forums). Im giving one more idea a go.... then if that fails... Ill corretto it.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1209206891/0#7 date=1209289670
                        Remy,

Just to add to the weight of argument for the Corretto....

It can produce quite large batches...
                        You have fantastic control over the roast....
                        It is easy to see what is happening and to hear the cracks....

AND

It produces roasts which are definitely on par with the Gene and Hottop at a fraction of the cost!!!!! And I very much doubt any home made roaster could do any better (if as good).....

So whats holding you back?
                        Well Im glad you asked that JavaB, and I have to say a few things.

The biggest being that almost all corretto setups I have seen,.. theres gear all over the place,..and it scares me a little. The setup and pack away would frustrate the bejeebers out of me and it would be the demise of the it. I know what Im like,.. Im rushed all the time,.. I leave things to the last minute(roasts) and mostly... I will be doing the roasting in fairly small windows of time,.. you know.. in between dropping off one kid and picking up another before I race off to clean up blah blah... story of my life. So when I look at a corretto setup... sadly..I really just see more mess for me to have to cleanup . I might be less worried about this sort of thing in about 5years time when I dont feel so hen pecked. (btw I have a very apt fridge magnet that says: "Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens" which is sohhhhh what it feels like,lol) So,.. I know Id end up not wanting to roast at all..the thought of dragging all that stuff out, setting it up, roasting then packing it all up again sounds like too much work that I can do without at this point in time to be honest.

The other thing that is stopping me is the size/weight of the BM and where to store all the set up,..BM, HG, HG stand, monitor, cords, fan, bucket,..and so on.

I really want to figure out a setup that is compact/all in one(I dunno..spose Im dreaming?), but of course is capable of doing a good job. I want to be able to pull it out,..roast, put it away and be done within say 30mins tops. No fiddling with HG on stands,.. extra power cords/plugs,.. and the need for more power sockets etc. The longest part of the roasting process,. needs to be the roasting... pullout and packup Id like to be just 1 or 2 minutes at the most.

Ok.... I do have another plan to explore first (then go corretto if that fails) and Id really appreciate some serious input to see if I could actually get it to work.. I need to build the bottom half,lol.. I am about to post a new thread in the Roasting section. Please check it out if you get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1209206891/0#8 date=1209290054
                          Originally posted by Remy link=1209206891/0#5 date=1209289358
                          You have to find your own way back onto the right path grasshopper.

There are special programs out there but I found them too complicated for what Im noting so far.
                          So yes its MS Excel.
                          It has the advantage that I can add to it as needed and I know how it works.
                          I have one worksheet for the roasts (shown), another for my stash, a third for bean type descriptions and a fourth that is used for the dropdown lists.
                          If you want a copy just ask.
                          Ok...this grasshopper is a trier (if nothing else) and although this grasshopper is often seen smacking itself up against the back fence endlessly for weeks at a time,.. every now and then..one of the smacks against the fence brings a new thought,....and the grasshopper changes its path.. :. Soooh before I do go down the corretto path,.. there is one more option I would like to try first. But I need some serious advice/help/ideas to go with the first half of my plan. Look out for the new thread on it please TG.

And yes please TG,.. could I get a copy from you.. that would be really helpful. I tried to start one myself a few weeks ago and got sidetracked.

Comment

" I thought I could hear loud FCs and SC snaps altogether... "

I was at Coffee Barun a while ago when someone brought in some MM
                            to roast in the demo GeneCafe. Mark Barun hadnt done that in a Gene,
                            and neither had I in mine, so we just used my "default profile" which is
                            to set at 228C. For me, this usually gives FC around 13min and SC around
                            18. With the MM, FC came at about 12, and then (to my ears) it just got
                            confusing. Fortunately, Mark (who obviously has done a lot more roasting)
                            realized that it had gone more or less directly into SC, and stopped it. Looked
                            quite good for all that.

This corroborates the above about MM being a) tricky and b) needing
                            gentle treatment. I dont have any MM, but do have Monsooned p/b,
                            which I will try soon for the first time in the Gene, not sure how yet ...

Comment

Remy
                              If only doing one roast of say 500gm i allow a total of 30mins to setup/roast/packup.
                              IF doing two roasts then i allow an hour in total but its less than that.

This includes me backing the car out of the garage and getting the trestle table, some of the items such as the blower and bucket for cooling i setup after the roast has started as it only takes 1 or 2 mins.

I find that because the corretto can do larger roast sizes i can generally programme them into the schedule more easily than i used to do with the popper that is now gathering dust and cobwebs.

With kids you should find preparation and cleanup for roasting easy.

Mal

Comment

Working...
                              X