Roast Profile - Uganda Bugisu AA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roast Profile - Uganda Bugisu AA?

I have a batch Ugandan Bugisu AA beans from my CS starter pack and will hit roast this weekend. Am going to try this as a SO roast and cup but being relatively new to home roasting am wondering if anyone has any tips or favourite roast profile for this bean?

Re: Roast Profile - Uganda Bugisu AA?

Mmmm,

This is one beautiful bean 30.... Definitely one of my all-time favourites. When you nail the roast, the flavours in the cup are amazing, bordering on a Xmas pudding jam packed with heaps of forest berries, loads of body, a balanced acidity and a lovely lingering finish of sweet dark chocolate.

Im not familiar with using your roaster 30 but in a Corretto I roast to achieve Rolling FC at around 10-11 minutes and then taper off the heat so that the first few snaps of SC are heard at 16-17 minutes then pull and immediately cool. By the time I get to sampling the first brew or two is usually around day 5 and even up to day 7 post roast. The wait is really worth it though and I believe youll really love these beauties.

Cheers mate ,
    Mal.

Comment

Yum, Im salivating already

Thanks for the tip Mal. Ive generally found the IRoast to roast much quicker than what Ive read on other roasting methods/toys. Usually finish the roasting process between 8-11 minutes.

Ill be hitting the roast tomorrow!

Comment

Hi 30in30,
        I havent roasted the Bugisu, but have found this profile to work well for other Africans:

Stage 1: 174c 3:30
        Stage 2: 190c 1:00
        Stage 3: 174c 8:00

May look odd, but the iRoasts (at least my iR2, and this is also mentioned on Sweet Marias) display a lower temperature than you would measure in the bean mass.

Also, the drop back to 174 (or thereabouts) is to get the fan to pulse on and stop a runaway temp rise due to chaff building up. You should have no trouble keeping ahead of the bean as it approaches SC.

8:00 total in Stage 3 will obviously not be used, its just to give you total control over when you dump it.

Anyway, just a suggestion to try. Please let us know how it turns out.

matt

Comment

Hi Dolcimelo,

Appreciate the advice from another iRoaster. Should be a few owners around on this site? I like the idea of the prolonged stage at the end for control.

Ive come to the realisation the roast profiles on the iRoast2 is much different from typical profiles with Correttos, Poppers and the like. Ill give it a try and let you know.

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, definitely let us know, as Id very much like to roast this bean, too.

You are right about the difference in profile. The iRoast is a lot quicker than most of the other roasters, but not substantially different from a lot of small commercial air roasters. However, I have come to realise this is not a bad thing. Anyway, you just have to get used to your roaster.

Cheers,
            matt

Comment

Originally posted by Dolcimelo link=1210859635/0#3 date=1210935383
              but have found this profile to work well for other Africans:
              The Ugandan Bugisu beans are not really similar to beans from further north and east on the continent, more similar to recent crops from Rwanda. From a roasting perspective, profiles similar to that used for Indonesian, PNG and some Indian varietals work pretty well......

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal, thats very interesting. As I say, I havent tried roasting this bean yet, so will be interested to see what works on the iRoast. How does the Bugisu compare in terms of density and moisture, in your experience?

matt

Comment

Gday Matt,

Similar density to the beans/regions I mentioned above mate, dont know about moisture content but this probably varies quite a bit anyway during the journey from processing plant to Andys Roastery.

Mal.

Comment

Ambient room temperature was 18.6c.

Stage 1: 174c for 3:30
                    Stage 2: 190c for 1:00 (FC at 4:15, noticed RFC to 4:45)
                    Stage 3: 176c for 8:30 (could not quite hear SC but heard a snap at 6:30, hit cool button at 7:00)

Total roast+cool time was 7:00+4:00.

Picture below, however cant tell what CS roast it is as I havent got my member card yet (its coming).

One of my better roasts to date ;D Will cup in 6-7 days...

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1210859635/0#1 date=1210860792
                      Mmmm,
                      This is one beautiful bean 30.... Definitely one of my all-time favourites. When you nail the roast, the flavours in the cup are amazing, bordering on a Xmas pudding jam packed with heaps of forest berries, loads of body, a balanced acidity and a lovely lingering finish of sweet dark chocolate.
                      Im with you Mal. This is a sensational Bean. Ive followed a similar profile to what you outlined - I got to 1st C in 12 mins and pulled at verge of 2nd C in 18 mins, with similar results in the cup to what youve said above. Hmmm...theyre in the starter pack eh?...Maybe that means theyll make an appearance in the next GreenBay???...Ill be in for...say...a PALLET LOAD if so!!

Comment

Hey Andrew...Im a bit surprised by the profile youve used, as its commonly accepted practice to ramp up to FC relatively quickly, then continue to do so at much slower ramp to 2C.

If I understand correctly, youve dropped the temp from 190 to 176, then maintained it there. Is that right? If so, you may find that this roast is fairly restricted in regard to complexity.

Will look forward to hearing more.

Comment

Hi Dennis,

Yes, strange roast curve I know but am still experimenting with different profiles. I found the IRoast tends to roasts very quickly by comparison. Also the temperature readings displayed on-board seemed to be lower than what is actually in the chamber so 190c was probably closer to 200c or so.

Having not had a point of reference I decided to try a profile that slowed down at the end so I could control the roast and watch/smell/listen until it reached something I liked. Ive tried quick ramp up times and temperatures on the IRoast but it heats up so quickly! I read up on Sweet Marias to start with a lower temp to start with for awhile to get an even roast in the IRoast, since the following stages would ramp up heat very quickly in the chamber. This profile is also nearly the same as the profile Dolcimelo suggested and since he has been using an IRoast I thought Id give this a try.

Oh and by the way when I say its one of my better roasts, Im actually comparing to the first two roasts I did which ended up a being batches of charcoal So anything that isnt burnt is a good roast for me at the moment ;D

I take your tip slow/low temp end and re: complexity and bear that in mind for my next roast. Ill see how it goes next weekend after a few days rest.

In the meantime I have your/Cuppacoffees Defibrilator blend to keep me going until next weekend

Comment

Hi Dennis and 30in30,
                            The thing about the iRoast - and probably all domestic air roasters of this sort - is that there are basically two ways of controlling the temperature profile of the roast. The first is to simply have one or two elements on or off. The iRoast has two, so obviously the maximum temperature requires both to be on. But the second relies on the flow of air through the roasting chamber; the more air-flow, the lower the temperature, and vise versa. Therefore, in order to lower the temperature, or stop it rising, the iRoast can pulse the fan on and off (or on continuously). It does this with the element off in order to cool to beans to a little above room temperature in 4 mins. If there is a reasonable amount of chaff on the beans, then the temperature is prone to rise above the set temperature because of the reduced air-flow this causes. Therefore, by dropping the set temperature significantly, as I suggested to 30in30, the fan is forced on, and this counteracts the tendency to overheat.

One must use this technique based on experience with different beans. If the beans have very low chaff - like a lot of well-processed Indonesians, Indians, etc. - then the problem becomes one of keeping the temperature rising sufficiently. I dont know the Bugisu to roast (and Mal has already indicated that it is different from other Africans), but my recommendation was based on other Africans which typically have a bit of chaff (sometimes quite a lot), and so dropping the temperature suddenly in Stage 3 forces the fan on and makes the interval between FC & SC longer.

In other words, the actual profile does not resemble the nominal profile. Otherwise, it would probably result in baked beans! I hope this explanation makes sense. Of course, I have no idea how 30in30s roast will turn out, especially given Mals comments about Bugisu.

However, your roast looks very nice and even, 30in30. Ill certainly be interested to hear the cupping results. Then, I might be able to offer a suggestion to change, if necessary. But, it might be fantastic, which will be great! ;D

Cheers,
                            matt

Comment

matt,

mmm..... I follow what you are saying..... but it all sounds very hit and miss!!! Extending the time FC to SC with any sort of control sounds to be neigh on impossible.

When I was experimenting with linear control of the heat output of the HG in the Corretto, I took one roast to FC as normal and then held the temperature about 5C above FC..... the beans got darker and darker and I dumped them when they were darker than the same bean taken to SC 6minutes after FC......

The taste of the non ramped beans was interesting (but not in a good way....) they tasted more like beans just taken to FC...... but the colour would indicate otherwise..... So if the roast is even stalled the flavour is badly affected..... and bean colour is clearly useless as an indicator (you really need a bean mass thermocouple to see what is really happening to the profile of the actual beans).....

Comment

Working...
                              X