This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Corretto Roast-Great Fun! Wrng- Lots of Pics

Hi all, in case anyones interested, heres the story of my first ever roast using a corretto roaster. Plenty of pics to keep you interested... Im interested in feedback and comments/critique... please let me know what you think!

Set up:
    I managed to get my hands on a bread machine and a heat gun and together with stuff around the place, managed to rig this up: (Palsonic bread machine; Ozito heatgun; ikea table lamp, masking tape; portable laptop table with wheels; standing fan, exhaust fan; wash basin; metal sieve)

Prep for roast:
    I got myself and starter pack and decided to roast the Brazil Ipanema Reserva Especial. Weighed out 300g and was ready to go.

Begin roast!

30 secs in:

3 mins in:

4.5-5 mins in:

FIRST CRACK at 6min (too early?)

9 mins in:

SECOND CRACK at 10min

10:30 mins - stop roast and mad scramble to pour beans into sieve for cooling

My pride and joy! Piccies of my first roast

Before and after pics: Is it common to lose about 50g? (1/6th the original) - probably was a bit less than that as a few little babies fell out of the sieve...

From this comparison with the CS member card, Im guessing this is a CS9-10 roast?

Some arty photos:

Want more photos?
    http://benandfaith.smugmug.com/galle...96118466_T782K
    http://benandfaith.smugmug.com/galle...96125762_bAza3

Thanks for reading!

Re: 1st Corretto 1st Roast-Awesome Fun! Story & Pi

I lose between 15 - 19% bean weight when roasted.
    Yours lost 17.33% - in the ballpark.

Looks like you could do 600g batches.

Do you have the round extension nozzle for the HG?

Comment

Thanks for stats re: weight loss!

Not sure what the round extension nozzle is - Im using a friends HG atm. Am about to head out to bunnings to buy my own - Im hooked! Thinking of getting the Ryobi or Bosch cheaper end ones. And going to head to Breville seconds shop to buy y own bread maker... so far, Ive been using borrowed equipment.

Thanks TG.

Comment

Welcome to Corretto World ben, I checked out pics on website, set-up looks good.
        CS have another roasting tragic on their books now!!!

Comment

Lovely photos!!!

Comment

Ben,

Welcome on board and looks like a great first roast.....

Id suggest a little less heat early on (raise heatgun or turn it down depending on the model) to reach FC a little latter (about 9-10 minutes) and then reduce it even further so SC is about 5 minutes after FC..

If you an organise for that fan to blow over the top of the BM..... directly at the HG.... that will prevent chaff from being sucked into the HG and also the hot air from being drawn back into the HG. This will extend the life of the HG as well as slow the roast down as it will remove some of the heat from the area....

But you are already very close to nailing it and your first roast should be really great in the cup. Congratulations!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1210948224/0#6 date=1210986322
              Ben,

Welcome on board and looks like a great first roast.....

Id suggest a little less heat early on (raise heatgun or turn it down depending on the model) to reach FC a little latter (about 9-10 minutes) and then reduce it even further so SC is about 5 minutes after FC..

If you an organise for that fan to blow over the top of the BM..... directly at the HG.... that will prevent chaff from being sucked into the HG and also the hot air from being drawn back into the HG. This will extend the life of the HG as well as slow the roast down as it will remove some of the heat from the area....

But you are already very close to nailing it and your first roast should be really great in the cup. Congratulations!!!
              Thanks JavaB! Ill post my cupping notes when I try it out on Teus/Wed, though I hope I can describe what Im tasting! Ive downloaded a taste/aroma wheel from somewhere else and Ill see if any of those adjectives match what Im tasting!

I did move the fan up higher to blow over the top of the BM and HG - thanks for advice though. THe fan swivels horizontally, so I also tilted it down when I was cooling the beans - exhaust from underneath and fan from above... is that a bit of overkill??? :P

OK, Im going to go do another roast soon and try my own blend! Hopefully the starter pack of beans blend well!

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by redzone link=1210948224/0#3 date=1210977336
                Cant see the pics either for some reason but would like to....maybe its the settings we have on our PCs?
                Are people still having troubles seeing photos?

They are linked from here (http://benandfaith.smugmug.com/galle...96118466_T782K) and here (http://benandfaith.smugmug.com/galle...96124905_KvM8k) if you cant see it here...

Sorry, not sure whats going on.

Comment

Very impressive, hope it tastes good too.

Enjoy !!!!

CB.

Comment

Nice photos by the way, thinking of doing this myself soon

Comment

Nice work Ben, a great series of pictures too!

As others have said, the weight loss is spot-on and the roast could be a little slower but I still expect it will be great.

So... how did it taste?

Comment

Its day 3 today - it is time! Will try it out this afternoon and post my thoughts here...

So, just wondering... what is the process after roasting?

After cooling (takes only about 5 minutes on my setup), what do I do with the beans? Leave it out in the open air? Put it into airtight and dark environment straight away? Whats the right way of treating a new born/roast bean?

Comment

Ben,

After cooling my beans go straight into one way valved sealed bags..... and after sealing squeeze out any surplus air and then into my cupboard to rest.....

Depending on the bags you buy they will also be light tight (the ones Andy sells are black aluminium) some suppliers have bags with a clear side but I prefer the opaque ones..... And they can be reused lots of times if cleaned between roasts.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1210948224/15#18 date=1211155299
                            Ben,

After cooling my beans go straight into one way valved sealed bags..... and after sealing squeeze out any surplus air and then into my cupboard to rest.....

Depending on the bags you buy they will also be light tight (the ones Andy sells are black aluminium) some suppliers have bags with a clear side but I prefer the opaque ones..... And they can be reused lots of times if cleaned between roasts.

Ooops. I let mine sit out for a few hours (6?) - thought they needed to degas or something. What will that do to the bean? Ive since put it into said black aluminium valve bags which Ive kept from previously bought beans.

Comment

Ben,

Some other home roasters do that as well...... some believe it reduces the amount of resting required...... but I have my doubts :-/

I dont think 6 hours will make a lot of difference..... in theory some oxidation of the coffee oils can take place in that time but I doubt the effect would be that significant.

The one way valves will let any of the carbon dioxide produced whilst degassing escape.... so I just put them straight in the bags - it is also interesting to see the bags swell as the gas escapes!

Comment

Working...
                              X