Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a Panasonic SD-250 off facebook marketplace for $30 last night. Opened it up with the intention of removing the thermal protection, but then decided to go one further and just hard wire the motor. Used 200c rated silicon wire and crimped some spade terminals on - used existing where possible but had to extend a few. Works well now - nice and easy! Also removed the heating element whilst i was there.

Next step is to strip away the teflon coating. The agitator appears to be plastic, but pretty tough. Will this be an issue? Any suggestions on replacements?

Now I just wait for my green beans to arrive and off we go!

Attached Files

Comment

• So I intend to have a lid for my BM, just going to be using the aluminium plate that was on the lid. So when it comes to intakes and exhausts, has anyone got any advice/experience on whether there are configurations that work better.

I've seen people have the heatgun at 45 degrees, which makes sense as it's more of an indirect heat to the beans. Does this make a different in actuality?
      I have also seen a few with side entries - what's the thought process behind these? I assume this forces you to remove the heat gun before you remove the coffee pan? Is there any advantages to this method?

Finally the exhaust - is straight up ok? or is a rear exhaust or 45 degree any better?

Just trying to understand peoples thoughts around why they've done what they did, and whether it made a difference.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by TheHobo View Post
        So I intend to have a lid for my BM, just going to be using the aluminium plate that was on the lid. So when it comes to intakes and exhausts, has anyone got any advice/experience on whether there are configurations that work better.

I've seen people have the heat gun at 45 degrees, which makes sense as it's more of an indirect heat to the beans. Does this make a different in actuality?
        I have also seen a few with side entries - what's the thought process behind these? I assume this forces you to remove the heat gun before you remove the coffee pan? Is there any advantages to this method?

Finally the exhaust - is straight up ok? or is a rear exhaust or 45 degree any better?

Just trying to understand peoples thoughts around why they've done what they did, and whether it made a difference.

Thanks
        I direct my heat gun nozzle through the lid directly into the bean mass from above, for the exhaust I leave approx 1/3rd of the lid open so that the hot air is blown vertically through the lid.
        Has worked well for me for over 12 years.🙂
        See pic in post 211 this thread https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/cof...-of-pics/page5

Comment

• flynnaus
          flynnaus commented
          Editing a comment
          The post Yelta is referring to is
          https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/cof...128#post665128

Tip: if you click the post number in the top right corner of the post, it will provide a link you can copy and paste

• Yelta
          Yelta commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Flynn, wasn't aware of that, never too old to learn.

• Hi. Thanks to the community for inspiration and ideas. I built my first roaster on the cheap.
        Got an extractor fan and bread maker at op shop.

And reused parts around the house including my bbq thermometer untill I get something more for automating for data logging.

Only had to buy the heat gun and a bucket for the cooler.

Did a 500g batch and just used a foil tray as temporary lid.

Couldn't wait so tried tasting the first roast of brazi santos 24 hours after roasting and already happy with results. Wife happy as well.

(​​​​​Ignore titles on graph as kept forgetting to hit buttons while watching roast)

manky looking setup. Just wanted to give a try and will get a table etc sorted next time haha
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220414_150833_alex.coffeeroasterfree.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	909768

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220414_150958.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	909765 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220414_150953.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	909766 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220414_144650.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	633.8 KB
ID:	909767

Comment

• Whorl
          Whorl commented
          Editing a comment
          Well done Mate! Onwards and upwards!

• tompoland
          tompoland commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats, very clever!

• Picked up a Ronson breadmaker for $15 on Lifeinvader Marketplace and an Ozito heat gun from Bunnings and gave this whole Corretto thing a whirl.

Oh my god it's so much better than a popcorn maker! I did a 250g batch of Colombia Supremo which look pretty good. I couldn't wait so I tried making an espresso with them this morning, I think they need a little bit longer to degas but I think they're drinkable!

They stayed in the hot pan a bit long at the end because being a moron I was trying to pull it out to dump it in a colander and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't budge until I realised I had a BBQ thermometer stuck in the side which was pinning it in place.

Comment

• I've been roasting this way for close to 10 years now.... generally about 900gm of green beans at a time.... will post some photos shortly.

Comment

Working...
          X