My first roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first roast

My Gene turned up today (Thanks again Chris), so as soon as school finished i rushed home to try my first roast. I think i even beat the kids out i left so fast.
    The bean i roasted was a 300g mix of 4 unknown beans that Chris sent with the Gene. I roasted them to the instructions that Chris sent with them and im very happy with how it came out.
    I couldnt help myself and pulled a shot not long after they cooled. Im not as good at tasting flavours as some of the CSers but i think i tasted a bit of a chocolate taste and also maybe a berry taste. My wife ( who i just realised im logged in as, im Christopher on the forums) also thought she could taste a berry flavour.

I cant wait for tomorrow so i can roast one of the beans i got from beanbay yesterday, and also for the next beanbay as i want to try so many beans.
    I think im hooked as it felt so good to roast my own bean, i can see why so many people roast there own and to think that before my wife found this site in January i didnt even know you could roast your own and i thought the beans i was getting from the supermarkets were the best coffee i had ever tasted (that soon changed and the best coffee i have ever tasted is the Espresso WoW blend). I look forward to one day having my own roast that taste that good.

Thank you CS for opening my eyes to the world of real coffee and roasting (and for reading my novel of a post). I now consider myself a Coffee Snob.

Cheers Chris

Re: My first roast

Congratulations!!
    Just remember its a slippery slope. Ive only been home roasting for a few months and already I have many kilos of many different green beans fighting for cupboard space.
    Greg

Comment

This morning i opened the bag for a smell. Im very happy with the smell, so now the hard bit is waiting 10 days and not drinking it all before then.

Going to roast another batch or two this afternoon just incase i do start drinking it early as im not good at waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher link=1211886348/0#2 date=1211926652
        This morning i opened the bag for a smell. Im very happy with the smell, so now the hard bit is waiting 10 days and not drinking it all before then.

Going to roast another batch or two this afternoon just incase i do start drinking it early as im not good at waiting.
        No need to wait 10 days Chris. I reckon the pre-roast blend peaks around day 4

C

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of home roasting Chris, you are now totally hooked and the need to expand your green bean stash will be insatiable, always got to try new varieties and origins.
          Ive done about 70 roasts now and still totally intrigued by the whole process.
          happy roasting.....................gm

Comment

Nice, now i dont have to wait as long. Cant wait too see how it taste. Will post my thoughts as soon as i try it.

As for the stock of green beans i have 5.5kg right now. But come next beanbay i am stocking up on different beans as there are so many that i want to try ;D

Comment

Originally posted by melinda link=1211886348/0#0 date=1211886345
              My Gene turned up today (Thanks again Chris), so as soon as school finished i rushed home to try my first roast. I think i even beat the kids out i left so fast.
              The bean i roasted was a 300g mix of 4 unknown beans that Chris sent with the Gene. I roasted them to the instructions that Chris sent with them and im very happy with how it came out.
              I couldnt help myself and pulled a shot not long after they cooled. Im not as good at tasting flavours as some of the CSers but i think i tasted a bit of a chocolate taste and also maybe a berry taste. My wife ( who i just realised im logged in as, im Christopher on the forums) also thought she could taste a berry flavour.
              Well done, Enjoy the ride, its gets better and better 8-)

Comment

If you can do 5 days your a better man than me ;D

It took me over 100 roasts to leave a roast for a minimum of 3 days, but now we are enjoying some 12 days + 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1211886348/0#3 date=1211929903

No need to wait 10 days Chris. I reckon the pre-roast blend peaks around day 4

C
                  Actually Chris,

If I was you Id start sampling the roast after only a couple of days, even just one day and then see how the flavour profile develops as each day passes. You may find that you prefer brews made with beans that have rested for a much shorter period, after all, were all different and its interesting in itself just to note how the coffee changes with time.

All the best mate ,
                  Mal.

Comment

Nice roast Chris, I agree with Mal try sampling your roast at different days, I do it, and sometimes you get this taste like you are drinking straw.Sometimes you can be suprised that the coffee is quite good

Comment

Well I posted somewhere else this morning that Id received my starter pack and was itching to roast some of it, pending the completion of a Corretto roaster my friend and I are making.

But I couldnt resist jumping the gun, as it turns out.

I mounted the heat gun on a bottle capper (a la the original Corretto) and stirred the beans manually in a sieve-in-a-dish. Just 120g as a test run. I also chose what I assumed to be the most "expendable" origin in my starter pack (the Australian! How unpatriotic...) in case I stuffed it up. After all, this was also my first roast.

Roast profile was hard to pick (see below), but times were: 8:30 - first noises of first crack, 10:30 - last? noises of first crack (hard to tell), 14:30 - second crack seemed to start, 15:30 - heat off (started smoking during last 10 seconds).

Roast is quite dark - that final 20-30 seconds really made a difference. Ill know to cut it a bit earlier next time.

I started with 120g, spilt 5g and ended up with 94g = 18% loss. This is on the high side of normal from what Ive read...

Other observations:

- Beginning of first crack was fun to hear... but there was only one crack every couple of seconds for a couple of minutes. I was expecting a burst of cracks, for some reason. Hence, second crack was hard to pick. There was definitely a significant increase in cracks (sharper in sound than first crack) around 15:00, but there were some before this too. I guess judging 1st and 2nd crack is something which comes with experience...? Or is it also bean variety-related?

- I know the HG spits out 600ºC air, but I was still impressed as to how quickly the bean colour changed! Must be the beans - they just WANT to be par-burned. Im sure wheat/rice/whatever wouldnt brown as quickly as coffee beans. Not sure if thats a profound observation or just stating the obvious...

- Some metal sieves have plastic connecting the handle to the body which you wont be able to see until its melted. Sorry, wifey.

- Coffee beans are difficult to photograph. There are wild variations in the colour of the same beans depending on light/flash/etc. Oh well.

Photos:

My set up (temporary):

Before, parts 1 and 2:

After, parts 1 and 2:

Thanks for reading.
                      Cheers
                      Stuart.

Comment

Thats a nice looking roast Stuart. Cant wait to hear how it tastes.

What bean was it? I just roasted 250g of the Australian MTE Bin 549 this afternoon and the smell was fantastic, kind of sweet. I dont think i roasted it dark enough so tomorrow im going to do another roast a bit darker so i can try them to see the different flavours i get from different roasts. Havnt tried it yet but im sure tomorrow i will.

Chris

Comment

Looks grouse, Stuart. /thumbs up/

Cheers................Sean

Comment

Thanks Sean and Chris!

The beans were Capricorn Coast from Far North QLD. Id never heard of them prior to getting my starter pack, but Ive read google results which make them sound pretty good. Mild like most Australians, but good.

Funnily enough I think I roasted mine a little too much so Ill be doing the opposite to what you suggested, Chris, by roasting the next lot slightly less. Should be good for an experiment.

As an aside, the beans pictured kind of smell a bit burned ... I told my wife that they take a while to mellow out after roasting but does this actually apply to the aroma? They dont look burned, as you can see, but Im hoping the aroma improves in the next 48 hours as well as the flavour.

Cheers
                            Stuart.

Comment

Dont worry about the initial aroma Stuart, things will settle down as the beans rest but that first hit of the aroma as you grind the beans..... Will knock your socks off 8-),

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X