Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted Colombians

Hi All,

Just completed my 3rd Corretto roast. The roast size was 300 grams and the bean was a Colombian Popayan, the same one I used on my 2nd roast only this time I noticed a few with a single circular black spot. :-?

All up there was only a small handful in the roast but still very distinctive in their markings. I pulled a few out and took a photo of them which I have attached.

Roast details are 1st crack was at 10.30 minutes @ 187C and 2nd crack at 15.30 minutes @ 206C. Reduced heat and pulled roast around 40 seconds or so later while still in rolling second crack.

Can anyone tell me what may have caused these beans to spot like this?

Re: Spotted Colombians

These are called divots and you usually get a few during 2nd crack; especially if you take it to rolling.

They are BIG ones though.

Nothing to really worry about.

Comment

Thanks TG. Good to know.

Attached a photo of the roast just for the record....

Comment

Uhm, doesnt look like divots to me...more like cherry borers, unless you use a popper or wok.

Comment

Nice looking beans Mate, I usually get a few of those bad boys, those are particularly nice ones though.
          Like TG said rolling SC or when its hotter than usual they are more prominant.
          CB.

Comment

Originally posted by redzone link=1212564477/0#4 date=1212569914
            TG said rolling SC or when its hotter than usual they are more prominant.
            CB.
            My DMM Temperature Data Logger might be reading lower temp than true. 2nd crack @ 206C is not that hot from everything Ive read. As a guide only of course, but isnt it usually up around 210 -215C for 2nd crack? (not there is anything wrong with generalising!) :

Temp probes about 10mm up from the bottom and about 15mm protruding into the pan (any more and its hitting the paddle!) .

I have read about insulating the airspace between the pan and the BM to improve temp readings, but Im not very keen on that. :-/

From the look of it, I could have taken the roast a little longer and a tweeny weeny bit darker.......but Im still learning!

I have noticed though, judging from my first two roasts, that after 5 days or so the beans tend to darken and take on an oiler sheen to them.

Comment

Im a newbie too, but a good piece of advice one of the CS gave me was to keep good notes.
              I get very low temp readings but I know what happens and when based on previous notes.
              My probe is obviously not in the correct position but my numbers for FC and SC are almost identical
              on each roast. There is also the visual to go by and the smell too.
              Hope that helps.
              CB.

Comment

Redzone
                I concur about being consistent.
                Although i dont keep notes and use the DM logger software (as i have been lazy of late and need to get another old laptop) i find when covering part of the BM pan with wood i get a lower roast temp consistently with FC starting about 180 - 185deg and then 2nd crack anywhere from 195 - 200deg but its always relatively consistent so i dont worry too much.

I do get divots from time to time but find that i get them more when roasting colombian beans.

Mal

Comment

Actually,

Pretty well every Colombian Ive ever roasted tastes a hell of a lot better if you dont enter SC at all. As a result, I tend to roast these by colour and appearance rather than when SC occurs. Try a gentle roast next time U4k with Rolling FC happening between 11-12 minutes, back the heat off so that you then have a very gradual temperature ramp of about 2.5 deg.C/Minute and then pull them when they reach about CS9 on the CS Membership Card and immediately cool. Let them rest for 2-3 days and then give em a try. Makes a beautiful brew, especially as a Doppio Piccolo... Mmmm 8-)

Cheers,
                  Mal.

Comment

Divots are a sure sign of 2nd crack. You might want to try a lighter roast of them next time as most Colombians are best when pulled well shy of 2nd crack.

Java "All cracked up" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

You can lessen the amount of divots buy slowing down the roast and/or moving the beans more.

Speed:
                      The colombian is a lower altitude, softer bean and if you roast them too quick the inner expansion is faster than the outer layer growth and something has to give. The divot is the release of that internal pressure to the easiest path. While your times look great, try the next roast a little slower to see the difference.

Moving more:
                      Sometimes divots are caused by hot-spots in the roasting. In a drum roaster there are areas of greater contact heat and these can cause divots. Moving the beans more will lessen the time that they are in contact with those hot-spots.
                      Using a heatgun I would assume these beans were circulating on top longer then some of the other beans and ergo had more heat contact. Because you cannot move the beans more (fixed speed breadmaker agitation) then lessen the heat and extend the time a little.

...and after all that.... as Thundergod said, "Nothing to really worry about", they will still taste fine.

PS: GREAT looking 3rd roast!

PPS: Dont get too hung-up comparing numbers of the DMM with other CSrs, there are a lot of variables. What you need are your own base lines. If you always see first crack at 195 thats just as fine as you always seeing first crack at 202.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1212564477/0#10 date=1212589882
                        You can lessen the amount of divots buy slowing down the roast and/or moving the beans more.
                        Using a heatgun I would assume these beans were circulating on top longer then some of the other beans and ergo had more heat contact. Because you cannot move the beans more (fixed speed breadmaker agitation) then lessen the heat and extend the time a little.
                        Thanks fellas!

At the moment my roasting strategy is to aim for 100C at around two minutes and from that point increase the temperature gradient to achieve a steady 9C per minute. Upon the first signs of 1st crack I back off the temp gradient (by raising the heat gun) to achieve a 2-3C per minute increase going into 2nd crack.

Looking at my roasting notes I can see that I did not adhere to my roasting strategy guidelines. After first crack the temp was increasing at around 4C per minute from the 10 minute to the 14 minute mark and then all of a sudden increased 8C from 14th to the 15th minute mark just prior to the onset of 2nd crack. I raised the heatgun but it was obviously too late. So there lyeth the problem, too big an increase in temperature sped things up and obviously caused the divots.

I will keep a closer eye on this next time and make sure the temp doesnt get away from me again. Also I might pull the roast shy of 2nd crack to get a comparison.

Comment

Working...
                        X