Another new Corretto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new Corretto

Did my first roast today. Built a Corretto from pinching ideas from the CS community. BM is a Panasonic SD 200 modded to run continuously and with the paddle shaved to stop beans being crushed between paddle and wall. HG is Ryobi variable temp with 2 speeds, mounted on an unused video tripod. Cooler is 20 litre bucket with 20 cm exhaust fan. DMM is from Dick Smith with a thermoprobe. Old fan cools the HG and blows the chaff away.

N.B.
    Gday MeanzBeanz,

Have resized your image down a bit, kinda large ..... 640x480 pixels is the preferred maximum size and would be appreciated if you can keep it to that.
    If you are unsure about how to easily resize your images,
    this link will hopefully assist .

Thanks,
    Mal.

Re: Another new Corretto

Nice.

Happy roasting!

Comment

Yep,

Nice setup there MB 8-)..... Those Ryobi heatguns sure are well made for the money and I like the way youve got yours secured to that back-board, good idea. Happy roasting mate ,

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal. I will make sure my photos dont exceed the recommended time.

Yep I like the Ryobi HG. First go and it went well. I like the variable heat control. With that and the adjustable tripod it makes varying the temp a snap.

Comment

Like your setup, I hope you enjoy your home roasting. My Ryobi has done 75 roasts now and still going strong (touch wood!!).

Comment

Well done MB, but you didnt say how the roast went? Hopefully well, as I have just gone out and bought the same gun. All setups will be different, but what setting did you find you were using on the gun for a given amont of beans?

Cheers

Comment

Hi PhilMac. I roasted 600g of Tanzania Tanganyika AA from the CS starter pack in 2 batches. As it was my first roast I started with 300g in case it all went horribly wrong.

The roasts went very well. FC a bit early at 9 mins and SC around 15 mins. I tried to keep it in line with a profile I got off CS where FC came in at 11 mins at 198c and SC at 17 mins at 220c.

After cooling the beans they went straight into a CS bag and the air was squeezed out through the one way valve. They look and smell great. I will post when I try them in a few days.

I had the HG on about 500c on high fan speed...the led will show you when it is right. I mainly raised or lowered the HG with the tripod to vary temp. Next time I will use the HG settings. Looks a solid bit of gear and hopefully it will do a lot more.

Good luck with your setup.

Comment

Thanks for that, sounds great. I will be roasting about 300gms at a time as that is about my weekly consumption. I bought a little drill press/stand stand from Aldi for $15. It holds the gun really well, without having to attach it, but like you I am hoping to use the gun settings to vary the heat, rather than adjusting the height.

I have yet to get my starter pack, which I shall remedy soon. I have a bit of time on my hands though as I want to change the plastic/teflon/nylon bush that the paddle shaft of the BM is in, as I am a bit worried about the heat. Ill need to find someone with a lathe that can whip me up a little brass bush.

Look forward to seeing the pics of the roast.

Cheers

Comment

hi, do you have a picture of the other side? Is it easy to move the heat gun up and down the tripod?

Comment

Hi
                    It is easy to adjust the HG by loosening the adjustment screw on the tripod collar, moving the HG and retightening. I tend to use this method more than adjusting the variable temp on the HG.
                    Here is another pic of my setup.

Comment

Thats the same HG I cooked when new, I had the fan too far way from the tip.
                      Nice set up though !
                      I am not sure about your positioning of the tip its looks like it might heat the wall of the BM basket? Just a thought. might be wrong.

Enjoy !
                      CB

Comment

Working...
                      X