Corretto advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corretto advice

Finally, Ive got everything for my corretto. Set them all up, and had a go. BAD NEWS~~My first roast was not sucessful, but it is very even (one thing that im pleased of). The temperature went crazy, I couldnt control it at all. And i cracked my probe due to i forgot to remove it . O well it still works, who cares.... Anyway,  Ive got a couple of questions~~
    My Setup:
    Heat gun: Ryobi 2 heat EHG 2002
    Tripod for adjusting the height of the heat gun.
    Breadmaker: Palsonic  PAB-3600 (Added switch, now can spin for a long time)
    DMM: QM-1324
    Roasted 300g of MT Bin549

My question is should i turn the heat gun to the highest heat setting? Thats what i did today. The temperature went up very quick. It reached over 100 degree within 4 mins. I tried to adjust the height, but the temperature kept increase very quick. What i think i did wrong was, I set the heat gun too close to the bean. But initially, I set the HG to its highest heat setting and I set it about 4cm above the edge of the breadmaker, the temperature increased very very slow. Then i lower it down to about the same height of the edge of the breadmaker, then the temperature started to go crazy. Then, I turned the heat of the HG down, the temperature dropped significantly. So i turned it back to the hightest heat, then the temperature went crazy. Any suggestion that i can improve?

Tony

Re: Corretto advice

Hi Tony, I run my heatgun on full speed initially inside the bucket approx 10cm from beans, it takes about 1.40 to reach 50C and then picks up pace, I then raise the gun gradually with 100C coming up around the 3-3.5min mark depending on beans I am roasting. I try and reach 1st crack around 12-13min mark and then 5-6 minutes from 1st to second crack. Watching the probe readout helps to control your application of heat, after several roasts you get to know the visual signs of smoke before 1st and 2nd crack and watching the colour of your beans at each stage. You want a constant ramp up of heat without stalling the roast.
    Im sure after a few roasts you will get a feel for your setup and things will improve markedly............good luck and happy roasting!!

Comment

It could also be that your probe might not be in the right place. Maybe you should fiddle round with probe heights vs. temperature readings

Comment

How large was the batch of beans?

Tony where is the probe in relation to the gun?

How deep was the probe in the bean mass?

Comment

Hey there, Tony.

I think everyone feels like they have no control on their first Coretto roast (well, I did!). Dont worry, youll quickly get the hang of it.

I have a 2 speed HG like you and (I think like everyone) only use the high setting, controlling the temperature increase by adjusting its height. The temp certainly does get a go on at first crack and youll find thats when you have to ease the HG back so as to get a slow, even (5-6 min) climb up to second crack. I closely watch the DMM temp there - invaluable tool. My probe goes through the wall of the pan, about 1 cm above the bottom, and about 3 cm into the bean mass. (And I used to forget to pull the probe out as well, ruined one probe :-[, but you get into a routine.)

I dont know your breadmaker but I think youll find the optimum batch size to be larger than 300 gm (say, 500-600 gm?), easier to control temp increase as well.

By practice and playing around with your setup, youll quickly get the feel of it.

Greg.

Comment

Ill post some picture tomorrow

Comment

Did another roast yesterday. I roasted 300g Costa Rica bean that i bought from bean bay last month. It went pretty well. Ive got a better temperature control this time. But I reckon i roast the bean sa little bit too dark ~CS10 i think. Anyway, Ill try it again next time (After ive finished my last 2 roasts~~lol).

Comment

Hi guys, im very new to Coretto roasting. In fact i have never actually doit.
                I was due to recieve a Hot Top roaster as a gift from my boss but due to the current state of the stock market...that didnt happen
                I have found myself buying from a local roaster recently as im too scared of ruining more of my green bean colection.

Anyway, i remembered i own an old Panasonic SD-206 bread maker and was wondering if it would be suitable?

I have used the air popper method for around 2 years now but my current crop of poppers just isnt up to the task(too hot too quick). Or maybe my tastes have just changed.

Is there a big transition from popper to coretto? Im going to grab the next cheap heat gun i can find. It sounds like a duel heat option is the way to go as the heat gets adjusted by the hight of the gun right?

Comment

You should be able to translate what youve learned from roasting in the popper to roasting in a corretto if you do a bit of reading on it.

Check to see how long the Panasonic will run the paddle without stopping.
                  You need it to last 20 minutes non-stop.
                  Otherwise you will need to modify it.

Comment

Sorry for the delay of the pictures due to massive load of works from work and uni. Anyway, Im very happy with my corretto. This is my 3rd corretto roast. Im impressed with the result. Im loving it ;D. Got a question, am i mean to turn on the fan for the whole roasting process? I found it affects the heat deliver to the bean. When i turn off the fan, the temperature increased a lot faster. So Im not sure

Tony.

My corretto setup~~

300g of Costa Rica Royal Tarrazu

Start roasting (can see the probe from this photo. But the probe noramlly covered by beans).

Start getting brown

1st crack

Pour out the roast when it reached the first snip of second crack. (No picture for that becos I was too busy cooling the beans )

Finished roasting and weight (Weight lost: 15.6% pretty gd)

CS9

Comment

Cupped the last patch. Im very impressed with the taste. Very gd~Have to do more roasting this weekend~I love the spicy from the Costa Rica bean~~And the acidity of the bean is not aggressive at all. Although it is very high in acidity, however it is very gentle and smooth.

Comment

Nice looking roast there Tony... 8-)

Well done mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. I agree with you about the Costa Rica Tarrazu too, an excellent bean and well spotted by Andy....

Mal.

Comment

Welcome to Corretto World Tony, the fan you are using is huge, I use a little $10 one from Bunnings to disperse the chaff and it doesnt affect the heat.

Comment

Hey GM

I see the GMC is based on a Breville BM. Which model is it?

Ive got a BB200 and it looks like I will have to carry out the bypass mod to link the paddle motor directly to the power to get continuous stirring. I see youve done another mod to provide a plug for your DMM. Where do you have the temp probe? Drilled through the side or hanging over the edge of the pan?

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1226320162/0#12 date=1227561274
                              Welcome to Corretto World Tony, the fan you are using is huge, I use a little $10 one from Bunnings to disperse the chaff and it doesnt affect the heat.
                              I use the large fan and sometimes use it on high to drop the heat if it gets away from me.
                              Lo and Med are quite fine most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X